Rear Surrounds? Wall layout pics

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
In another thread, we disussed how people had mounted surrounds/dipoles for a 5.1 system, and we talked about changing my 3.1 to a 5.1.

Wanted to give you pics, so one would have any idea if rears would work

What you have is a front pic, rear pic, then one of my goofy dog.

No option in relocating the chairs, and youll see how my chair is stuck right in the corner, and thats what I had a concern over the effectiveness of rears.

My current plan is to replace my front floors with Def Tech Procinema 800's to match the center, Ill then add two more for the rear if its feasible. Prob going to be a 3-4 mo project. Thanks ahead for the input.

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

That dog got "crazy" eyes. Moving her to a different spot on the floor will probably improve your sound. Try moving her around the room till it sounds best. (Got that tip at AVS.):D:D

Last edited:
That dog got "crazy" eyes. Moving him to a different spot on the floor will probably improve your sound. Try moving him around the room till it sounds best. (Got that tip at AVS.):D

Yeah, she's ugly, but its a face only a daddy would love :D

Its funny, I see a Boston now with normal eyes, and they look weird to me :)

She doesn't look any goofier than our border collie, with her big ears. :)

I don't see a problem with rears. If you are coing to use the 800's, place them right in the corner and aim them in and down. Basically, aim them to hit that table.

Is the other rear wall pretty much the same as the one you showed? If not, you may have to make some adjustments.

Here is a shot of more than the wall. I figure Ill use the wall mounts, and place the first 800 in the corner over my head and angle it down as you suggest. Ill just mount the second one on the edge of the other chair at the same height and aim it the same way. Ill have to get some channel or something to cover the wires though.

IMG_0068.jpg

I figure Ill use something like this:

Omnimount - Speaker Wall Mount - 2890100707

I did some more reading on Def Tech's site, and they actually recommend using a procenter 1000, procinema 1000's for fronts and 800's for rears. I think I may do this, to get a little more beef up front. Itll only cost me $100 more for the 1000's up front.

ProMonitor 1000 :Specifications

Dimensions | Metric :6-1/4” W x 6-1/2” D x 10-7/8” H | 15.9 x 16.5 x 27.6 cm
Driver Complement :One 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter; One 5-1/4" BDSS bass/midrange drivers; One 5-1/4" pressure coupled bass radiator
Frequency Response :42 Hz – 30 kHz
Impedance :Compatible with 8 Ohms outputs
Sensitivity :91 dB
Recommended Associated Amplifier Power :10 – 200 watts
A/V Receiver Crossover Setting :80 Hz
Inputs :One pair of 5 way binding posts
Available Finishes :Gloss Black; Gloss White
Accessories :Two ¼ 20 insert cover plugs; Tripod base
Mounting Options :Vertically: On Shelf with included tripod base; Equipped with rear ¼ 20 sized thread to accommodate on wall/on ceiling mounting with aftermarket articulating mount (articulating mount not included); Equipped with bottom ¼ 20 sized thread to accommodate ProStand 1000 stand mounting (ProStand 1000 available separately); Equipped with keyhole mounting slot for flush mounting
Packaging :One to a carton
Weight | Metric :6.5 lbs | 2.9 kg
Warranty :5 Years

ProMonitor 800 :Specifications

Dimensions | Metric :4-3/4" W x 5" D x 8-3/8" H | 12.1 x 12.7 x 23.8 cm
Driver Complement :One 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter; One 4-1/2" BDSS bass/midrange drivers; One 4-1/2" pressure coupled bass radiator
Frequency Response :57 Hz – 30 kHz
Sensitivity :89 dB
Recommended Associated Amplifier Power :10 – 150 watts
A/V Receiver Crossover Setting :100 Hz
Available Finishes :Gloss Black; Gloss White
Included Accessories :Tripod Base; Two ¼ 20 insert cover plugs
Mounting Options :Vertically: On Shelf with included tripod base; Equipped with rear ¼ 20 sized thread to accommodate on wall/on ceiling mounting with aftermarket mount(available separately); Equipped with bottom ¼ 20 sized thread to accommodate ProStand 600/800 stand mounting (ProStand 600/800 available separately); Equipped with keyhole mounting slot for flush mounting
Packaging :One to a carton
Weight | Metric :4 lbs | 1.8 kg

I just noticed they give you a freq range, then they give you an av rcvr setting, which seems a little high. Why would the 800 need to be set at 100hz and not 80??

Elway I was going to offer to buy your dog and see if this improved your speakers? I suppose this is a bad idea as you do not wish to sell your prize dog and I would be in the dog house if I brought a dog home. a little on the lighter side.---------------------

Thats kinda what I was thinking :)
you could fish the wire behind the wall down to the base molding then use the plastic channeling that rip mentioned and run it on top of the base molding.

you could also pull out the base molding a little and run it behind it but it's a little more work.

I was woundering if you had thought about just buying two more 1000 centers for your fronts??? or even upgrade your cernter to a 2000 and buy 1 more 1000 for your main since 90% of the sound comes out of the center and mount them verticle on each side of your TV at ear level..

I have there CLR1000 as all 3 fo my fronts.. a center channel offers a more dymaninc sound

This i also somethig i am thinking of adding to my system.. if you aim them down right above each crair wit will fill the entire area with sound..

Mythos Gem :Specifications

Price example on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/DEFINITIVE-Tech...3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:1|39:1|240:1309

Dimensions | Metric :4-1/8" W x 4-1/4" D x 10-1/4" H | 10.5 x 10.8 x 26.0 cm
Driver Complement :One 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter ; Two 3-1/2" high definition bass/midrange drivers
Frequency Response :60 Hz - 30 kHz
Sensitivity :91 dB
Recommended Associated Amplifier Power :10 – 200 watts
A/V Receiver Crossover Setting :120 Hz
Accessories :Wall bracket
Enclosure :Aircraft grade extruded aluminum
Available Finishes :Gloss Black; Polished Silver
Mounting Options :On shelf; On wall with included flush mounting bracket; Equipped with a single 1/4 20 thread to accommodate ProMount 80 (available separately); Compatible with Mythos GemStand (available separately)
Packaging :Two to a carton
Weight | Metric :4.5 lbs | 2 kg each

I would still put the other surround in the corner over the fireplace. The Audessey will set the distances and levels correctly, and if anyone ever decides to re-arrange the furniture, you won't have to move the speaker.

I would still put the other surround in the corner over the fireplace. The Audessey will set the distances and levels correctly, and if anyone ever decides to re-arrange the furniture, you won't have to move the speaker.

Agreed. why not center your furniture along that wall? For that matter, have you thought about reversing the room?

With the short tv wall, reversing puts the chairs crammed into a corner, unless I block the path to the Kitched(to the left of the tv is the dining room.

I did have the furniture centered, but I hated having the tv stand cockeyed. Its generally only us for movies, so being directly in front makes sense. There is also not a jack for coax behind the chairs (dumb setup)

I like the idea about mounting the other surround in the corner over the fireplace. You are right about Audyssey making the correction.

I could shift us off the corner slightly so the rear right would not be over my head. Its prob high enough that it would not matter though, because Ill mount them right up at the top.

It's fun being able to talk about this stuff again. I used to have to go to AVS, but those guys are no fun, and there's more than the fair share of jack-offs, and pseudo experts.

I used to have to go to AVS, but those guys are no fun, and there's more than the fair share of jack-offs, and pseudo experts.

Agree 110%.

I unsubbed from every thread over there. It always seems to get worse after Christmas, because you've got a lot of new owners, many of which are new members too.

After the final speaker purchases, I wont be in the market for anything else, so I have no need to be there.

We have enough knowledge on this site to at least be considered dangerous :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)