Received software version U506 on my 2 Hopper3 receivers

Mine is showing U485 12/13/2017, 7:40PM

I'm still seeing OTA breaking up through the single tuner OTA USB Dongle. :(

My disappearing ota locals are fixed with 506. I did notice some pixelation on recordings with the single tuner adapter, this is the 1st time I had seen this. So far it's only a minor annoyance, just hope it doesn't get worse.

I also have breakups on my Joey 2 watching OTA channels from my single USB tuner.
Same here macro blocking and pixellation on OTA channels with single tuner OTA adapter.

Fortunately I have a couple of TiVo Bolts and a Roamio OTA that I use for all my OTA recording.

Yep, so that would be two satellite tuners. I know several members here have been waiting for that functionality for awhile. :)
So they finally enabled two sat tuners on the Wally? Now they just need to enable two ota tuners on the dongle and you would have a replacement for the 722k receiver - as long as you enable dvr software for the Wally and add your own external hard drive. This could become the hopper lite receiver.

So they finally enabled two sat tuners on the Wally? Now they just need to enable two ota tuners on the dongle and you would have a replacement for the 722k receiver - as long as you enable dvr software for the Wally and add your own external hard drive. This could become the hopper lite receiver.

In that case the could just make a new chassis and eliminate the eSATA port for a hard drive and usb for the dual tuner OTA module. All the need to do is block the ports from the outside of the case and solder a usb extension cable to the USB port to the dongle and a eSATA to that port over to the hdd.

So they finally enabled two sat tuners on the Wally? Now they just need to enable two ota tuners on the dongle...
They did that, too. I have known that this was coming for awhile, but I couldn't say anything until it was available to the general public. :)
...and you would have a replacement for the 722k receiver - as long as you enable dvr software for the Wally and add your own external hard drive. This could become the hopper lite receiver.
I have been hinting at that possibility for awhile, too. I have no idea if that is what Dish is actually planning, but it would make sense.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Definitely make sense if they do a hopper lite using the Wally and your own external hard drive. Then they could sell this as a cheaper alternative to subs who don't want to pay the $15.00 Dvr fee.
The other possibility that I thought of is that Dish could sell the Wally, the external hard drive, and the one-time DVR activation fee, bundled together at a discount, and call that bundle the Hopper Lite. So, you could buy it all bundled together at the same time directly from Dish, or you could buy the components separately, but either way you would have the same functionality. :)

I think that target market doesn’t want to fool with EHD s.
Well, I guess the other possibility would be to find a way to network a Wally and a Joey, and use that as a replacement for the ViP222. Or at least add PIP to the Wally. Otherwise, it seems silly to have two satellite tuners if you are not using them to record to an EHD.

Well, I guess the other possibility would be to find a way to network a Wally and a Joey, and use that as a replacement for the ViP222. Or at least add PIP to the Wally. Otherwise, it seems silly to have two satellite tuners if you are not using them to record to an EHD.

I think the Hopper Lite should have an internal HD. Maybe they could charge extra to activate it, but I doubt that’s a good idea.

I think the Hopper Lite should have an internal HD. Maybe they could charge extra to activate it, but I doubt that’s a good idea.
Well, I read recently that Dish will be sending out refurbished ViP722k's, with the DVR functionality disabled, as replacements when a 322 or ViP222 dies. I wonder if Dish will leave the hard drive in place, and simply start charging the DVR fee if these subscribers later decide that they want DVR functionality and call Dish to activate it.

Reactions: navychop
That will be very interesting to see. It might be a test of the concept.

But any HDD in an old ViP will be OLD. Can’t be too reliable, especially if it sits for months or years without spinning. Maybe they could combat that by spinning it up for a minute every time it’s switched “on.”

Reactions: pattykay
That will be very interesting to see. It might be a test of the concept.

But any HDD in an old ViP will be OLD. Can’t be too reliable, especially if it sits for months or years without spinning. Maybe they could combat that by spinning it up for a minute every time it’s switched “on.”
My first guess was that they would disable the DVR functionality by completely removing the hard drive. But in that case, it might make it too easy for users to "hack" them by simply opening them up and installing a compatible internal drive, to get DVR functionality for free.

Perhaps it was there before, but on U506 there is a preview window even on menu windows, not just on the Guide Window.

Same with U284 on the Joey 2.0.

BTY, when I came into my office this am the SAT light was stuck on on the 54 remote. No stuck buttons, no response from any buttons on the remote.

Had to remove the batteries to get it to go out, seems normal now.

That happened on both of my 54 remotes as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts