Received Starlink beta invitation today

comfortably_numb, have had a Starlink system here for a month and a half. Been happy with it so far. You install it yourself or you can hire someone, but they do not install. It comes in a large box, everything already pre-connected and configured. Really all you have to do is plug in the POE supply to the wall mains and you have wifi.

You do have to set the receiver in an open area that has a clear view to the sky. There is an app for that that tells you if your "spot" is ok.

The only real installation is running the POE cable for the receiver into your house.

The supplied router has 1 ethernet connection and has reasonable wifi range, but no device access for configuration. It just works. Yo do log into the wifi (ID is Starlinkxxxx where the x=number). Once you log in it will ask to set a passwd. Then you are done.

No data cap so you can watch all the netflix you can handle... Downlink is usually between 100 and 200 Mb/s, uplink 20-50Mb/s, latency 25-60ms. Speeds and latency likely depend on your view of the satellites and where the sats are/how many viewable at any time. This should stabilize more after they get more satellites launched and operating.

Where I live we have no real competitor to this kind of service. My existing ISP was charging about the same for an intermittent connection 10Mb dn/1Mb up and most of the time was lucky to get 500Kb dn/100Kb up. Used to get decent service from them but they sold out to one of the local telcos and service dropped to horrible. Rural residents are irrelevant to the telcos up here regarding wireless service.

With that in mind, Starlink is really set up for supplying bandwidth to places that are not serviced by fiber, DSL, or decent terrestrial wireless. If you do have those options they are likely a cheaper route for ISP service. Starlink is more of a competition for traditional satellite bandwidth providers, but at the price-point and service Starlink provides, the Hughes and Bell types could be in big trouble.

The supplied router has 1 ethernet connection and has reasonable wifi range, but no device access for configuration.
Now I have to say that really sucks. I think everybody will want to plug in their own wireless router, so the "reasonable wifi range" is just (possibly) interfering with the customer's setup. :( I know you said you can only log in on their router and set a password... But can't you turn off their WiFi at all? Is their router/password a WiFi password? WPA? Do you still need to set this if you use the wired port?

Reactions: FTA4PA
Will they ship to an address where there is usually someone, rather than the service address? We aren’t allowed to take deliveries at our RV, where we would want the service.

Also, I’d love to hear anyone’s experience using SL and DA.

Now I have to say that really sucks. I think everybody will want to plug in their own wireless router, so the "reasonable wifi range" is just (possibly) interfering with the customer's setup. :( I know you said you can only log in on their router and set a password... But can't you turn off their WiFi at all? Is their router/password a WiFi password? WPA? Do you still need to set this if you use the wired port?
I would imagine you can add a third-party router or Mesh system.

Reactions: TheKrell
You can use your own router, so put the Starlink router back in the box since I already have a LAN with a good gateway router, switches, etc.

Will they ship to an address where there is usually someone, rather than the service address? We aren’t allowed to take deliveries at our RV, where we would want the service.

Also, I’d love to hear anyone’s experience using SL and DA.
SL, DA? Not sure what that is, not a network engineer here, but maybe I can find an answer for you.

You can use your own router, so put the Starlink router back in the box since I already have a LAN with a good gateway router, switches, etc.
Any login mumbo jumbo if you bypass the Starlink router?

No you just need DHCP set to auto and IPv4 and your router will be pick up the IP from the modem (radio). (on your router's WAN connection)

Reactions: TheKrell
So Starlink provides a separate modem and a wireless router?
The router is seperate from the modem (transciever, the dish-like antenna). There is also a POE power block that powers both modem and router through their network cables. This is what you plug into the wall to power both units, or the modem only if you use your own router.
IMG_4640.JPG

The above is the complete instructions for the unit.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
A tech on our Tech Portal posted yesterday:

Starlink started sending out the Beta testing units about a month ago. You had to be chosen to be one of the beta test homes. Each customer is paying $500 for the kit and $100 month. I recently helped someone install his. Its very user friendly. There is a 100 ft permanently attached cable from the satellite that needs to get into the house. Even though the satellite adjusts itself, the volcano roof mount could be designed better. Overall, I think via sat and wild blue might go by the wayside with the speeds these dishes can give. I guess we'll see what the future brings.
Radio (packet radio?) internet will have to restructure their business model. Those services are usually a bit more than what starlink seems to be offering.

wildblue --> viasat (merged or buyout)

Reactions: c-spand

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts