Receiver signal sending distance on Direct tv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

oregonred

Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Canby, oregon
I am considering switching to direct tv and hoping that the dvr sending signal will reach to a receiver in my detached garage. Does anyone know how far the signal will reach from the recording dvr to the receivers
thanks, ron

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

I think you may be confused as to how Directv works. The receiver/dvr connects to the television, not another receiver/dvr. If you mean from the dish to a receiver/dvr, then it is around 150 ft maximum. There are ways around the limit, like using RG11 instead of RG6.

As Chip states, all DirecTV is via cable. Your question suggests a wireless setup which is just not in D*'s offering. Something that comes close to your question is a new unit called "C31". This unit needs to be on a coax connection, but contains no tuner in it and gets its information from a DVR on the system. Unfortunately, this is a very new unit only being introduced in a limited number of markets right now and technical details regarding how far it can be located away from the DVR don't seem to be available right now. What kind of distance are you talking about?

The distance from the house to the garage is about 75 feet. I read that the receiving units use wifii to pick up signals from the recording dvr, so I assumed they didn't have to be hardwired connected. I talked to a directtv rep on the phone and he said if the wifi would reach, then the signal would reach. However, his expertise was filled with too many "ums" as he was trying to explain the operation, so I turned to this forum for more expert advice before making the switch.

Directv doesn't have a wireless setup. Are you talking about the rf remote?

I think I may have gotten some wrong info from the irect tv guy. He said that I could place a receiver in the garage and it could connect to my dvr in the house through my wireless router if the speed was above 1.5 megs. i currently have dish and I have a separate dish and receiver to get reception there. I was hoping that I could eliminate the need for a separate bill to get reception out there. I appreciate the help in figuring this out, since it seems like direct themselves are givjng conflicting info.

I think he was talking about MRV, or multi room viewing. I don't know if it works with wireless or not.

I think I may have gotten some wrong info from the irect tv guy. He said that I could place a receiver in the garage and it could connect to my dvr in the house through my wireless router if the speed was above 1.5 megs. i currently have dish and I have a separate dish and receiver to get reception there. I was hoping that I could eliminate the need for a separate bill to get reception out there. I appreciate the help in figuring this out, since it seems like direct themselves are givjng conflicting info.

You have a DISH recvr working in the garage already ?

It too works via Coax like D* does, if thats the case, chances are you can use that same coax to get the signal out to the garage.

Neither company have wireless recvrs yet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)