Receiver upgrade - Genie and lack of HD reception

Pete Bennett

Original poster
Mar 14, 2020
Portland, OR
I've been operating with one of the old model SD DVRs for years, as well as an even more ancient SD standard receiver. The non-DVR crapped out finally and I've got an upgrade scheduled for a genie, but as of the last tech visit a few years ago there is zero LOS for the other two satellites required for HD service. We BARELY see 101(?) through a small gap in the treeline. Dish Network is equally unworkable.

Will they be able to put in the genie and I continue to use standard definition only?

If not, are there any SD DVRs available these days or are we stuck without a second DVR (was hoping to leverage this into a small upgrade at least.

:welcome to Satelliteguys Pete Bennett!

I don't think they will install the Genie without a los to the hd sats, 99 and 103.

If you can't find a way to receive 99 & 103 in addition to 101 you are going to be out of luck with Directv.

If you can't find a way to receive 99 & 103 in addition to 101 you are going to be out of luck with Directv.

Correct because once the Ku SD feeds get dropped soon you will need all 3 sats to get all your channels. The only exception will be if they offer a Ku only "RV" package with channels that are only on 101.

is there a reason they can just change them to mpeg4 Ku SD feeds?

That would defeat the point and waste bandwidth. The point is to eliminate DUPLICATE SD feeds of the same HD channels. If a customer don't want HD then HD output of HD feeds can just be disabled at the receiver level.

That would defeat the point and waste bandwidth. The point is to eliminate DUPLICATE SD feeds of the same HD channels. If a customer don't want HD then HD output of HD feeds can just be disabled at the receiver level.

not all stations supply an hd feed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)