Receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Remington

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
Gatineau, Qc.
I'm reading the forum since yesterday and I can see a lot of talk about the Manhattan, the OpenBox and the Azbox. I read the specs and read what you guys are saying but I'm still not sure I get all the differences. Which one is best?

On a side note, when I was here in the past the Fortec Passion was the next big thing to come. How it turned out? I can't see any reviews.

Thanks

The Passion was vaporware

Here are the big differences
azbox can do 4:2:2 and S2 and when hooked to internet it can do youtube, websites and auto downloads of channel list to your computer for editing..can use a hard drive
SSO (Solomend/Sathawk/Openbox)...fast blind scan and can hook a hard drive up but other issues (clock doesnt work properly, no manual PID entry, green tint)..no 4:2:2 but can do HD & DVB-S2
Manhattan is right now coming soon.

At the time (several years ago), it looked like Fortec Star killed the Passion project.
At least for use in North America. They sold some in Europe, as I recall.

For the AZbox model(s), note the price you pay for the differences Iceberg listed above.
And, look at prices on the S9 and S10 receivers (100-140 USD)
It's been pointed out on the forum, you can often get two S9/S10 receivers for the price of any AZbox.

And of course, the Manhattan is in the future.
Until it's in the hands of real users, it's not real.
Then, considering the time it's taken to iron out some wrinkles in the other receivers, maybe give it 3-6 months to stabilize.
In other words, it's not on my shopping list for a purchase this summer.

Ok thank you guys. Much appreciated.

I'll be a few months anyways before I move to my new house so I'll see then.. but I'm very interested by the 4:2:2 possibility.

not really

The only difference most people care about between the azbox and the SSO (openbox) is thew azbox can do 4:2:2
All that extra crap the azbox can do (you tube, RSS feeds, internet) is kinda useless for most folks.

I want a box that scans in the frequencies and plays them. While 4:2:2 was real big a couple years ago with SD feeds, most of those were sports feeds that have gone HD now and are 4:2:0 so the azbox isnt needed as much

Status
Please reply by conversation.