Receiving digital channels using older lnb?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fafhrd2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
Fairmont WV
Hi gang, I would like to know if you can tune stations like STO SD, France24, etc. on Galaxy 23 C using a 10 ft. prime focus dish and an older Chapparal combo feedhorn and Hemt (20 degrees) C band lnb with a polorotor attached? The dish is mesh and I would hook up to either a Fortec Star or Azbox Ultra with it. Checked the motor by putting wires to a Uniden analog rcvr, and it works ok.
Or, alternatively, would I be better off to buy one of the new C band lnbfs that Hypermegasat is selling for about $25-$50???
Thanks for any suggestions or info!

Sure, you can use the LNB and Chapparal feed, but to change polarity will require an analog receiver. A new LNBF is much more convenient. I changed to an LNBF about a year ago, and now wonder why I hadn't done it sooner.

You sure can, I have an ancient LNB with a chaparral feedhorn and works like a charm with my 10 footer, I have never liked those LNBFs because Ive tried at least 4 different brands and not one can compare to the quality I get with my Chaparral Feedhorn

would I be better off to buy one of the new C band lnbfs that Hypermegasat is selling for about $25-$50???
Thanks for any suggestions or info!

Your existing LNB and feedhorn is fine for these channels.

If you decide to go with a LNBF, support a Satelliteguys forum sponsor. Both WSI/Galaxy Marketing and Satellite AV carry C band LNBFs.

Between the two models that we carry (C1 - single output and C2 - two output), the GEOSATpro C2 is a much better performer.

For my own preference, I removed the Chapparal unit years ago for the convenience of not needing an old C-band receiver just to change polarities. Makes the satellite more family or wife friendly if there is just a FTA receiver controlling a VBox or GBox controller for your big dish. The ortho had slightly better performance, but didn't change the number of channels that I receive (both S and S2). Not worth the extra $$$ for my application.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)