Receiving OTA HD through Dtv Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Baboontyme

Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
Question for the experts out there.....you were so helpful when I was purchasing/installing my equipment a few weeks back I thought I'd ask for assistance on another matter.

I am trying to help my dad set up High Definition for his new television. They bought a 45" Sharp Aquos LCD that does NOT have a built in HD tuner. The plan was to upgrade his Dtv to the Dtv High Def pkg. Well, as luck would have it, the trees around my parents house are too tall and there is not a big enough window to pick up all 5 satellites for the AT9 dish. Dtv is telling them that it can't be done. This is not a deal breaker, though, because they are trying to sell the house and hoping to move within a year, and they live in a major market with strong digital OTA broadcasts, relatively close to the towers.

So I am trying to set him up with OTA High Def until the move takes place. I know he will need an external HD Tuner since there is not one built into the tv. My brother in law has an old Dtv HD box....it is a Samsung TS-160 circa 2002 or 2003. The question I have is, can I use this box as strictly a HD tuner? I don't want to run Dtv through it at all. The plan would be to have the OTA digital channels on say, Input 1, his Dtv Tivo box on Input 2 (so he could record while watching something else) and his DVD player on Input 3.

Can this be done? I would like to figure it out, if possible, before physically attempting it. If so, I would assume it would be as straightforward as plugging the box in, running the OTA antenna to "Antenna In" on the receiver and a component cable from the receiver to the tv??

If not, how much are straightforward HD tuners running these days? I've looked around a bit and maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but I can't seem to find a very big selection of them. Any reccomendations?

Thanks for your help!

Baboontyme said:
Question for the experts out there.....you were so helpful when I was purchasing/installing my equipment a few weeks back I thought I'd ask for assistance on another matter.

I am trying to help my dad set up High Definition for his new television. They bought a 45" Sharp Aquos LCD that does NOT have a built in HD tuner. The plan was to upgrade his Dtv to the Dtv High Def pkg. Well, as luck would have it, the trees around my parents house are too tall and there is not a big enough window to pick up all 5 satellites for the AT9 dish. Dtv is telling them that it can't be done. This is not a deal breaker, though, because they are trying to sell the house and hoping to move within a year, and they live in a major market with strong digital OTA broadcasts, relatively close to the towers.

So I am trying to set him up with OTA High Def until the move takes place. I know he will need an external HD Tuner since there is not one built into the tv. My brother in law has an old Dtv HD box....it is a Samsung TS-160 circa 2002 or 2003. The question I have is, can I use this box as strictly a HD tuner? I don't want to run Dtv through it at all. The plan would be to have the OTA digital channels on say, Input 1, his Dtv Tivo box on Input 2 (so he could record while watching something else) and his DVD player on Input 3.

Can this be done? I would like to figure it out, if possible, before physically attempting it. If so, I would assume it would be as straightforward as plugging the box in, running the OTA antenna to "Antenna In" on the receiver and a component cable from the receiver to the tv??

If not, how much are straightforward HD tuners running these days? I've looked around a bit and maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but I can't seem to find a very big selection of them. Any reccomendations?

Thanks for your help!

If the 160 is essentially the same as the 360, then yes, just plug in the antenna. You may need to adjust the antenna to get the local channels. This website is helpful to orient the antenna correctly. www.antennaweb.org Good luck!

Thanks for the info, Raoul. Much appreciated.

Will I need an active Access Card in the Dtv receiver? I shouldn't since I'm not even hooking it up to the dish, right?

Baboontyme said:
Thanks for the info, Raoul. Much appreciated.

Will I need an active Access Card in the Dtv receiver? I shouldn't since I'm not even hooking it up to the dish, right?
Correct, you should NOT have to activate the access card if you are not using the D* service.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)