Recent G10R Problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

techpuppy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Hi!

Since late last week I've been having trouble with reception from a couple of the G10R transponders. Up until then I had no problems with any of the channels. Suddenly those on 11800 and 12114 have frequent pixelization, freezing pictures, audio chirps, out of sync audio. On 11800 I have 56% quality, on 11720 I have 41% quality. The weather is currently clear and there are no obstructions or trees in the line of sight.

The signals on 12104 (44% quality) and 12114 (63% quality) are excellent.

Any ideas? Does the processor in a receiver have to work harder when accessing a transponder with more channels? (I was thinking of heat issues). If I am watching, for instance, WPXS the problem is so bad as to be unwatchable, yet if I immediately switch to KTWO everything is fine.

Last edited:
Just checked WPXS using Traxis 3500 on 1M and it is pretty strong with no pixelization at Sig 78 Qual 74. KTWO is about the same at Sig 78 Qual 75.

SD

I have had a few issues also with g10r (almost exactly what you were describing above) although I had chalked it up to needing to go out and realign the dish (I have a dish in a bucket setup). Sometimes the tp on g10r goes a bit wonky but they usually clear up in the end.

The TP that you posted are the ones I am havins issues with also,

remember....all of the Equity channels are uplinked from Little Rock, so it may be clear where you are but if there are storms in LR, the signal may go kaput :)

Not weather related in my case

The problems I'm having with G10R are not weather related as far as I can tell. Anytime I have reception issues I check the regional radar to see if Little Rock is having problems. What I have been experiencing recently has not been caused by that.

In the last week I went out to the dish and tried reaiming, but gained no more signal. I checked coax connections. I even made sure that the Arbor Day Society didn't viciously plant a tree in my line of sight.

My reception of KTWO has continued to be good.

Could I be getting interference from the new Dishnetwork satellite or another?

The only interference we get on G10 is 11720 TP due to Dish 121 having 11724 same polarity 2 degrees away. 11800 doen't have that because the Dish transponder is H polarity, where the Equity one is V polarity.

Next door to the west is G12 (G5) which is C-band only so no interference there :)

It's not the same kind of problems, but KWWF has had all sorts of weirdness lately. The 6pm run of South Park started with 10 minutes of commericals. Yesterday's didn't have commericals, but rather ran promos for the same episode in its place.

Someone wake up the guy at the switch!

Its been fairly clear in Little Rock Lately (I live right in the middle between LR and Ft Smith (about an hour drive to each).

This dosent have anything to do with it but I do know that in the paper today they said that equity was working on switching some of the networks to the "new" networks (since UPN/WB are closing up shop). I will have to look it up but one of the equity stations is switching to become another Fox affiliate and several of the others are going to the new combined (wb/upn) network while the rest are going to a new network that is being started by fox. I will have to check to verify (papers out in the truck and ummmm its late (Im being lazy).

KWBF will be a MyNetworkTV station.

I've yet to see any of the stations signed up to be with the CW, so I'm hoping at least one or two will be. No one in Minneapolis/St. Paul is yet, either, and if Veronica Mars is renewed, I'll want a place to watch it. :)

Otherwise, I'm guessing a lot of markets will be getting either Univision or RTN.

DiscoLoveGrapes said:
I've yet to see any of the stations signed up to be with the CW, so I'm hoping at least one or two will be. No one in Minneapolis/St. Paul is yet, either, and if Veronica Mars is renewed, I'll want a place to watch it. :)
Disco...we may be screwed here in Mpls for CW. KMWB 23 I dont think is going to. WFTC 29 already is "My Network" so maybe 45 will go to CW?

Otherwise, I'm guessing a lot of markets will be getting either Univision or RTN.
I'm thinking RTN

Me too, but since they seem to have so many Univision stations, that may be another option.

Do we know for sure KMWB won't go? I can't imagine these guys allowing a major market to go without their much-hyped network....maybe Equity will pick it up for WUMN ;)

Otherwise, I'm thinking 45 could if there isn't an issue of KSTP being an ABC affiliate...maybe 41 will fit in a few hours between their full schedule of infomericals...

iafirebuff said:
Any idea what MyNetwork is?

Larry :)

MyNetwork (according to the paper that I cant find now) is a new network being started by Fox.

Here is a Wikkipedia article on it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Network_TV

I should have looked for the paper before I began posting but I cant find it now. It was in the Business section of the Arkansas Democrat Gazette (Thursday April 20th edition).

Going from memory It said that in most areas that have both a UPN and a WB that one would go to the new MyNetwork and the other would go to the new WB/UPN Network. It also said that one of the ABC stations would be switched to fox affiliate (the ABC station was up for sale and if approved it would switch to FOX programming).

There is a bit more information on the wikkipedia articles relating to CW and MyNetwork
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Network_TV
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_CW_Television_Network#CW_Pilots

Last edited:
DiscoLoveGrapes said:
Me too, but since they seem to have so many Univision stations, that may be another option.
alot of their markets, all the affiliations are taken. So the options are Univision or RTN

Do we know for sure KMWB won't go? I can't imagine these guys allowing a major market to go without their much-hyped network....maybe Equity will pick it up for WUMN ;)
KMWB is owned by SINClair...and rumor is Sinclair doesnt want to associate with CW. They can't use WUMN because that is actually on Commycast & Time Warner here in the TC as the Univision feed.

Otherwise, I'm thinking 45 could if there isn't an issue of KSTP being an ABC affiliate...
nope. Here in Mpls the rule is you can't own 2 of the top 4 channels in the market. In small markets (Like Duluth) its you cant own two channels, period.
Only thing here is CBS is part owner of CW so that might be a lost cause.

maybe 41 will fit in a few hours between their full schedule of infomericals...
41 would be an option (almost all cable companies carry it here in the Metro) but what about people with OTA?

I am getting almost nothing on G10 here. I have tried to rescan it several times, but all I get is the Research Channel. Weather is not a factor here either. I would assume its not alignment, because a) everything else is coming in fine on all other channels, and b) I am getting some of the channels on G10.

Other ideas?

iafirebuff said:
Any idea what MyNetwork is?

Larry :)
If I remember right. And, it's been awhile since this all started. I got the impression, My Network will be a reality type network. With shows like COPS or Surviver and such. If so, I'll probably stay away from it.

Al

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)