receving Asian & European satellites from Seattle area?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

genius5000

Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
washington
hi
i'm just wondering if its possible at all to receive the following satellites from asia and europe from here in the Seattle area using motorised C-Band dish:

in Asia:
Telstar 10 (76.5°E)
Insat 4A (83.0°E)
AsiaSat 3S (105.5°E)

in Europe:
Astra (19.2°E)
Astra (28.5°E)

if yes, can anyone tell me what sort of dish and receiver i would require and how much would it cost to set it all up?

cheers

Hi, sorry but you will not be able to receive any east satellites from the west coast of the US other then one of the upper east satellite around 170E or so.

What are you looking for on these satellites? Some of the channels might be available on some of the west satellites.

Later, DC

cheers for the replay

well i am after the FTA channels

i would love to get some of the indian/bangladesh channels on those asain sats

some british channels on astra 28 and german channels on astra 19

so do i have any chance at all?

You have no chance of getting those satellites as they are below the horizon from your location. So basically they are underground from your perspective. Satellites that are above the Pacific but barely above the horizon for you, 162°E for example, are unlikely to have any coverage of North America. They are "pointed" at their local market. (Japan in the case of 162°E)

You should look at Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com for your location. It will show that with very good line of sight of the Southern sky you could theoretically see satellites from around 43°W to say 162°E. Both ends of that are just above the horizon and can't be practically picked up. You should really look at satellites with an elevation of 10°-20° as a practically limit. So you could look at 61°W (10° elevation) to 139°W (nothing West of that right now anyway) and see if any of those channels that are free interest you.

Look at "The List!" at the top of this forum and it will calculate what is above the horizon for your location as well as show you channels on those satellites. Red means encrypted. You can also look at LyngSat which has a lot of information. Check out Galaxy 19 at 97°W for example. It has a lot of international channels.

LyngSat's color coding can be confusing a bit, but if you go with the rule of thumb that the interesting channel you're seeing on that satellite is not available you will be right more often than not. :(

Do you have room for a C-Band (10 foot) dish? If not then you need to ignore the C-Band satellites and channels listed. They have a 4 digit frequency listed and Ku has a 5 digit frequency. Also you need to check under the "Beam" column on LyngSat to verify that interesting channel has coverage of your area and isn't just for South America for example.

the only satellites that we can see here in North America are the ones that end in W (as in west). The rest are below the horizon

Not disagreeing with any of the advice above, but here is another easy-to-read list of C- and Ku- band satellites available to us on this side of the planet.
MPEG
It has some listing a bit more easterly than TheList does.
Plus, it's way easier to read than Lyngsat.

As commented above, you should pay attention to satellites that can be seen 10-20 degrees above the horizon from your location.
Any satellite finder will give you that info, including TheList.

cheers for the replay

well i am after the FTA channels

i would love to get some of the indian/bangladesh channels on those asain sats

some british channels on astra 28 and german channels on astra 19

so do i have any chance at all?

Another option you might want to consider if you have broadband internet is IPTV. Check out my post on TVUPlayer in the IPTV forum. This software works well and you will be able to find some British and Indian channels. Another member posted a reply on another IPTV program that also works well.

A home theather PC (HTPC) hooked up to a modern flat screen and you are good to go. Just double click on the picture for full screen and enjoyl.

BTW - it does not take that much of a PC to do the job. Mine is just a 1.6 GHz dual core and XP Pro. It runs TVUPlayer with ease.

Later, DC

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts