Recommendations for 4K Receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

vc2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
What is needed for 4K reception? Any recommendations?

My AZBox is not detecting the NASA feed on SES1. Is the feed present full time?

I have a Zgemma 4K box that I bought from Tek2000 and works very well. And I know that Rick's sells an Octagon that will do 4K. Both are about the same price and both will work. OpenATV is the linux software that they both come with but I put OpenPLI on my Zgemma that I like better.

I don't need a 4k receiver on my 55" Samsung I was watching a program on sat. and the picture look really push a button on my remote and it show 32----- 21----- =4k what was going on, and just using a an old receiver

I have a Zgemma 4K box that I bought from Tek2000 and works very well. And I know that Rick's sells an Octagon that will do 4K. Both are about the same price and both will work. OpenATV is the linux software that they both come with but I put OpenPLI on my Zgemma that I like better.

Aren't the Zgemma 4K boxes preloaded with the sortware? I've seen these receivers on Tek's website and wondered how well they worked. I don't need one right now because none of my TV's are 4K compatable, but I thought it would be nice to be ready when I got one. I'm always up for a new STB just to play with.

Don't know what you mean by 'sortware'. The default operating system is the Linux OpenATV and just like any kind of linux operating system you add all sorts of plugins and functions. I didn't care as much for OpenATV so I used OpenPLI. Layout is pretty much the same but nicer skins and themes. If you want you can add youtube and all the social media crap to the box but I've got that on my computer, tablet and smart tv so really don't need it on the satellite box. I do have an external drive with videos plugged into it so I use the receiver as my media center. OTOH I could of plugged it into the TV itself or the router so there are a number of ways to skin a cat.

Don't know what you mean by 'sortware'. The default operating system is the Linux OpenATV and just like any kind of linux operating system you add all sorts of plugins and functions. I didn't care as much for OpenATV so I used OpenPLI. Layout is pretty much the same but nicer skins and themes. If you want you can add youtube and all the social media crap to the box but I've got that on my computer, tablet and smart tv so really don't need it on the satellite box. I do have an external drive with videos plugged into it so I use the receiver as my media center. OTOH I could of plugged it into the TV itself or the router so there are a number of ways to skin a cat.

Sorry, it was a typo. I meant software/firmware. Saw some STB's on ebay where it explained you had to get a download from a particular website for the unit to work.

I don't know if any of these boxes will pull in the NASA channel. I understand the Harmonic receiver that is listed on NASA's website does not have a conventional HDMI output. Signal comes out of receiver via IP multicast, which must be converted back to HDMI / SDI via external device.

Does anyone have further info?

I don't know if any of these boxes will pull in the NASA channel. I understand the Harmonic receiver that is listed on NASA's website does not have a conventional HDMI output. Signal comes out of receiver via IP multicast, which must be converted back to HDMI / SDI via external device.

Does anyone have further info?
NASA plays fine for me. I use an older TBS card and hardware decode h265 with gtx1050 gpu. Played fine also on nieghbors sf4008 think most any h265 capable box will work

NASA plays fine here also on my Amiko A4K.

Since you brought it up Michael, how do you like the A4K?

The menus appear to be the same style as the original A3 and A3 Combo. Any obvious problems or things not working?

I use the A3 Combo every day and it does everything the specs say it should. I also use the A3's routinely, like the menus and motor control, and haven't had all the problems others have faced so I've thought about the A4K since it does 10 bit H.265 and the Combo is limited to 8 bit H.265 (which is fine for streaming the video I've converted to HEVC to save space on the server).

Well it works great on all but the ABC Mux on 99W for some reason. Over a year ago I was gonna bring some in and sell them, but never got that problem resolved.
I could hook up 10 different branded receivers here to same dish and switch and coax combo. Just simple disconnect one and put another in its place and all worked fine on ABC but the A4K.
Amiko kept telling me there is nothing to do, as it is the same tuner as the A3. Maybe I got one with an issue, I don't know but never pursued it.
Another thing too all the problems with the A3 was fresh in my head, so I thought it may be a tech support nightmare if I bring them in anyway.

...but
Other than the ABC issue with video break up, it has worked flawlessly and no issues. Works great too with Kodi as a media player.
If you get a chance, snag you one I think you will like it.

Thanks for the info Michael. If I get another 4K receiver any time soon it will probably be the A4K. Currently, HEVC capability is more important to me so the next receiver is likely to be a Mini HD265.

Reactions: KE4EST
I don't need a 4k receiver on my 55" Samsung I was watching a program on sat. and the picture look really push a button on my remote and it show 32----- 21----- =4k what was going on, and just using a an old receiver

same as you I have gotting 4K with fta ku band the samsumg let you see what you are seening

Well it works great on all but the ABC Mux on 99W for some reason. Over a year ago I was gonna bring some in and sell them, but never got that problem resolved.
I could hook up 10 different branded receivers here to same dish and switch and coax combo. Just simple disconnect one and put another in its place and all worked fine on ABC but the A4K.
Amiko kept telling me there is nothing to do, as it is the same tuner as the A3. Maybe I got one with an issue, I don't know but never pursued it.
Another thing too all the problems with the A3 was fresh in my head, so I thought it may be a tech support nightmare if I bring them in anyway.

...but
Other than the ABC issue with video break up, it has worked flawlessly and no issues. Works great too with Kodi as a media player.
If you get a chance, snag you one I think you will like it.

I pick up ABC on 99W with a 12 foot dish giving a 97/92 signal and on ocassion, they break up so bad they're unwatchable. I have a Titanium LNBF with the Wi/Max filter in it and it still does it. All the other channels are fine. Some days, the ABC's will work without a hitch, others they won't stay operable at all.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)