Recommendations for Indoor TV antenna

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Yragha

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
I'd be interested to see in 2018 what the community uses for their indoor antenna.

I do miss my old Radio Shack amplified antenna (forget the name and can no longer find one on EBAY) with what looks like a grill that swivels. I'm sure someone must know what I'm talking about.

More recently, I've been pro-MOHU however I've purchased the CM SMARTenna in the past week and found it fairly decent if not a bit expensive. I like the 7 different settings without having to reposition the thing.

Opinions/recommendations?

Thanks

I'd be interested to see in 2018 what the community uses for their indoor antenna.

I do miss my old Radio Shack amplified antenna (forget the name and can no longer find one on EBAY) with what looks like a grill that swivels. I'm sure someone must know what I'm talking about.

More recently, I've been pro-MOHU however I've purchased the CM SMARTenna in the past week and found it fairly decent if not a bit expensive. I like the 7 different settings without having to reposition the thing.

Opinions/recommendations?

Thanks
Radio Shack went bankrupt and I believe their antenna supplier also went bye bye. Suggest you visit tvfool.com to help us help you. I assume you live in an apartment so you need an indoor antenna, what antennas have you already tried? what are you trying to get that Mohu doesn't?

Reactions: Yragha
What indoor antenna you need mainly depends on the RF frequencies of the stations you want to receive.

Are they VHF-low band, VHF-high band, UHF or a combination thereof?

Ideally, the best indoor antenna is a small outdoor antenna.

I'm about 6 miles from the station towers here, and now I use an outdoor antenna, but in the past I used a Silver Sensor, slightly modified to boost VHF performance.

20180328_180945.jpg

I had a home-built DB-4 antenna on the wall for an indoor antenna many moons ago. My roommate had a Japanes3-style fish flag/wind sock, so it looked like a fish heading toward a lure on the wall.

As for recommendations, we'd need to know what channels you're aiming for. It'd be best if you posted a TV Fool report using your exact coordinates. Some people have pretty good results with rabbit ears from Walgreens, while others needed an outdoor antenna hiding in a closet.

I have no issues with reception. I was posting more to see what the general consensus was more than actually looking for "help". I'm in Houston btw.

You should offer up what kind of a signal situation your confronting when asking for an antenna recommendation. TVFool.com has been very popular (though perhaps not entirely up-to-date due to some FCC database issues).

No single antenna is best for everyone and that goes doubly for indoor antennas.

Over the years I've bought my fair share of antennas from Radio Shack, RCA, Terk and so forth. Heck, I enjoy "trying" them out. As such, over the years these here forums have helped me out tremendously on a number of things. Lately however, not so much. To those that at least tried to offer up "input" without the smart remarks, thanks!

Over the years I've bought my fair share of antennas from Radio Shack, RCA, Terk and so forth. Heck, I enjoy "trying" them out. As such, over the years these here forums have helped me out tremendously on a number of things. Lately however, not so much. To those that at least tried to offer up "input" without the smart remarks, thanks!
Actually, I wasn't trying to be cute. I too have bought a series of indoor antennas. Yagis, rabbit ears, flat plates, window stick arrays. What I have found is that an antenna that works in bedroom #1 doesn't work worth a damn in bedroom #2 and a different antenna will work better. And then it all changes a few months later when the trees leaf out.

The best answer by far is a well designed yagi, tuned for the channels you receive and outside of building masonry, roofing, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts