Record With DVD/VCR recorder

I've never had copy protection issues with any of my panasonic recorders either, even with PPV, from cable, DirecTV or Dish. My polaroid recorder copies absoutely everything via component, even blu-ray, albeit in 480i. Sony seems to be the most sensitive to CP flags.

Another reason I prefer panasonic is its flex recording mode which records any amount of time at the highest possible quality. If you record 2 hrs 1 minute on most recorders, you'll have to jump to 4 hr mode, which will look terrible. Panasonic will record that at near 2 hr mode quality.

Same here. I got a Panasonic Recorder and no problems at all.

Sony is the only one so far with the biggest problem and copy protection on recording certain shows, channels on TV.

There ain't too many brand name DVD Recorder in the market and sooner or later, these recorders will be gone.

LG, Samsung, Magnavox, Panasonic, Toshiba, JVC.

Same here. I got a Panasonic Recorder and no problems at all.

Sony is the only one so far with the biggest problem and copy protection on recording certain shows, channels on TV.

There ain't too many brand name DVD Recorder in the market and sooner or later, these recorders will be gone.

LG, Samsung, Magnavox, Panasonic, Toshiba, JVC.

IIRC, Sony was always a big defender of CP. Didn't they team up with Disney back when VCRs started getting big, and the two of them were fighting together to make copying VHS movies illegal?

Ghpr13:)

Sony did make VCR back in the old days which allow recording movies without a problem.

One video store got busted copying Hollywood Movies and renting them out. The VCR was Sony at that time cost $500

Then, the studios and the company protecting the movies sue all electronic companies not to allow copying perfectly. With computer technology these days, expert can do it easily.

I have a Sony RDR-GX300 DVD recorder hooked to my Dish 622 with RCA cables as mentioned earlier in this thread. I have never had any issues recording any channel or anything.

I too have been recording on my 622/722/922 and then using the RCA (red/white/yellow) outputs on my Dish receivers hooked up to various DVD recorders without issue. I find it easier to simply record the program on my Dish receiver first then manually play it back and record it on the DVD recorder. All of my DVD recorders have Macrovision Copy Protection, which stops you from hooking up a DVD player to a DVD recorder and playing back a DVD and recording that. However, I've never had a problem recording from any of Dish DVR's to any of my DVD recorders.

IIRC, Sony was always a big defender of CP. Didn't they team up with Disney back when VCRs started getting big, and the two of them were fighting together to make copying VHS movies illegal?

Quite the opposite: Sony was SUED by the studios (Disney among them). Sony was fighting (for its profit) to ALLOW the recording of content using its VCR's. This is a landmark case of the Supreme Court and is often cited as the legal precedent AGAINST the current move to far more restrictive content protections and prohibitions.

How hypocritical of Sony, then, to back the monster that is Blu-Ray vs. the simplicity of HD-DVD. Not to mention retroactively removing Linux support from the PS3.

Quite the opposite: Sony was SUED by the studios (Disney among them). Sony was fighting (for its profit) to ALLOW the recording of content using its VCR's. This is a landmark case of the Supreme Court and is often cited as the legal precedent AGAINST the current move to far more restrictive content protections and prohibitions.

Thank you for clearing that up. After I read your post, it came back to me that you were right on the money. It was Disney vs Sony in that battle for home recording.
Happy Holidays!

I have a Philips DVDR 3335 and I can record anything coming out of my Dish receiver. I use a comon splitter to divide the output of the receiver to the TV antenna input and the DVD-R antenna input. The ouput of the DVDR goes to the component inputs on my TV. Extremely low-tech (322 receiver) but efficient.

If you are trying to use your DVR/VCR recorder's tuner, it's not going to work on any of them. None of them have the proper tuner.
You're absolutely wrong about this. All DVD recorders that have a tuner can deal with NTSC.

The better approach would be to use an SVHS video and RCA audio connection.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts