Recording channel while watching same channel

Taylork

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Texas
Ok, dummy of the year question :confused:: I have a 722K, wife wants to record soap opera at 1:00 either in SD or HD, doesn't care which. So, I set up the dvrecorder first in HD, expecting her to be able to watch in HD. Instead, yes, she sees the picture ok, but it is apparently in the SD format (I have never seen how it looks, but it is obvious it ain't HD!)
So, I change the recorder to the SD downlink channel, it records in SD. But, again, even when watching at the same time, it still shows "live" in SD type of format despite her putting it on the HD channel (I think)..

Does this have something to do with the dual tuners? They are set up independently and not "as one" as far as I can tell, to allow one person in another room to watch their show in SD and our shows independently in HD. (and no,I have never set it up to act as only "one" tuner, I believe is how it is described in the book) [ie, tv2 and tv1 are how it shows now, I have never set it to only tv1, I believe is the proper technical terminology]

I hope this made sense... I just want her to be able to watch in HD no matter how the silly thing is recording (again, this is recording and watching the same show/channel at the same time). What the devil am I doing wrong? I really didn't see anything about this in the 722k book. Thanks in advance, and sorry for asking something that probably has a simple solution.

There are two outputs. One is HD, one is SD. The outputs function COMPLETELY INDEPENDENTLY of the tuners.

If you want to watch something in HD while it's being recorded, instead of watching the channel on the SD output, you can go to the recording list and select "start over" and view the recording from the beginning.

There are two outputs. One is HD, one is SD. The outputs function COMPLETELY INDEPENDENTLY of the tuners.

If you want to watch something in HD while it's being recorded, instead of watching the channel on the SD output, you can go to the recording list and select "start over" and view the recording from the beginning.

First, thanks for the reply. Second, it kind of blows my mind you watch the RECORDING you are making to"watch" the same channel in HD at the "same time or live", but if that's what you do, so be it. That has to be what the problem was, I had assumed (and you know what that means) if it was being recorded in HD you could simply watch the same channel at the same time. I guess the HD channel has priority to the DVR as opposed to the "live" output. I suppose it doesn't matter with the tv1 or tv1 since those are outputs, I was talking about the main TV or tv1.

As to Tv1 or TV2 and is she watching it on TV2--which means it would be in SD in any event---

Understood, but she is watching on the main tv which is set as tv1 (I assume!). I guess I could have screwed it up but I thought tv2 was only in other rooms. Thanks for helping!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts