Recording D* programming from an H20 receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

steve615

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jan 6, 2006
TN
I was wondering if anyone on the site has had any success in recording any D* programming (HD or SD) onto a DVD recorder.We are considering investing in a DVD recorder to hook up to the H20,if it will work.Thanks in advance for any advice,suggestions,etc....:)

If it were me, seeing that you won't be recording that DVD in High-Def yet, why not go the best route of recording your H20 programs to a stand-alone ReplayTV or TiVo that will allow you to record everything, choose what is worth keeping, save only those programs you decided to keep to a PC for flawless editing and burning to DVD with much less waste, and the best compatibility of media (by far) with every other DVD player made; just in case you want to use that DVD in other places. I prefer the ease of the ReplayTV and all the widely available free software and tools. I have done this for years.

Thanks for the reply charper.We're not into the TiVo or ReplayTV stuff.I'm trying to figure out if a DVD recorder can be connected to an H20 receiver to record programming from it.We're not into recording alot of stuff,just certain programs that pop up every now and then.There is a new series (Nightmares & Dreamscapes from Stephen King) coming on TNT sometime in July and we would like to record those shows on DVD,if possible.Thanks. :)

You would think to just run a stereo audio and s-video cable from the 2nd set of H20 outputs to the recorder. Mentioned adding a DVR simply because they can be had cheap and software free. Are all the outputs on the H20 "hot" at the same time?

Last edited:
charper1 said:
You would think to just run a stereo audio and s-video cable from the 2nd set of H20 outputs to the recorder. Mentioned adding a DVR simply because they can be had cheap and software free. Are all the outputs on the H20 "hot" at the same time?

I believe so. I got my H20 hooked up to my Windows Media Center.

I record from my H20 to a Phillips DVD recorder sometimes. I use the S-Video output from the receiver and it works well. It even squeezes the 16x9 content onto 4:3 frame and then you can use the "Full" button for the TV to put it back to 16x9 OAR.

It works fine when you just want to record something you are currently watching. It is a pain in the butt however if you want to do a timed recording. You have autotune the channel on the receiver ( and remember to leave the H20 ON ) and then create a timed recording on the DVD recorder ( Make sure the clock on the DVD recorder is set correctly ). It kind of reminds you of all the bad things about recording with VCRs.

The end result however is very good, much much better than tape.
-Bob-

Thanks for all of the advice and help so far,it is appreciated. :D In regards to the discs,what kind of discs would you suggest to use for recording...DVD R,DVD RW?How many minutes can be recorded on these discs?Thanks again for the help.:up :)

I record from my H20 to a RCA DVD recorder almost every day. I have it hooked up to the RGB cables and I am able to record in the 16:9 or 4:3 format. In the one or two hour recording mode, the picture quality is great. Anything over that and the picture degrades. I think that you can record from one to eight hours. I use both the DVD-R & DVD-RW. The quality is no different between the two that I can see.

I too am looking forward to "Nightmares and Dreamscapes" on TNT this summer. I will use the HD Tivo to record this though. TNT does well with original programming in Hi Def and when I archive this to DVD (using S-video from the HD Tivo), the resultant product is very appealing, for SD.

I have the Panasonic DMR-ES20 connected to the H20 and have had no problems recording. The Panasonic records to RAM, + & -, the RAM will keep the wide-screen format where the + & - doesn't. I see a noticeable difference when recording HD channels.

Fred

Brewer4 said:
I believe so. I got my H20 hooked up to my Windows Media Center.

I've been considering this myself. Do you have a program guide on the WMCPC that shows D* programming? What kind of Tuner Card are you using? I'm looking for one now, well researching it I should say. What cables are you running from the H20 to your PC card?
Thankx for the input.

I use either DVD+R or DVD-R discs to record. Depending on the speed of your DVD recorder, you can record 1 hr (HQ) , 2hrs SP, 3hrs (LP), up 6 to 8 hrs (ELP). I typically use SP.

zeos2006 said:
I've been considering this myself. Do you have a program guide on the WMCPC that shows D* programming? What kind of Tuner Card are you using? I'm looking for one now, well researching it I should say. What cables are you running from the H20 to your PC card?
Thankx for the input.

I can answer a few of those questions. MCE detects your receiver as a set-top-box and asks if it is cable or satellite. It then downloads the D* guide. SD only. I have an old Samsung HD receiver plugged into the MCE system, not my H20. I'm using a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 250 MCE for the input. It's SD only since the card only has composite and s-video input. Waiting for the announced D* HD tuner card/receiver for MCE to get HD. I have not found any card that will input HD using component or DVI. I think it can be done using firewire if you have some kind of receiver that has that port and some shareware software. I can get HD locals using an ATI HD wonder. You can record and burn those. Other HD tuner cards will work also. FYI, the MCE remote has a skip button that works as a 30 second skip. No hacking needed. Microsoft did something right. :D

Groundhog thx very much for that info. That's really got me fired up now. I guess I'll need two cards though. One to record the D* signal and one if I want to record OTA HD. AND the 30 sec skip on the remote....nice. Didn't know that!!! Thankx again for the input. :up

I recommend a recorder that uses DVD-RW, though you could likely find a "universal" recorder for about the same price. I have a DVD-RW recorder and a DVD-RAM recorder, and though the RAM has a few nifty features, I find myself aggravated at the lack of compatibility, as the only player that will play those discs is the recorder itself. I thought at the time I wouldn't care about using the discs on my computer, but now I wish I had thought more about it. I can play DVD-RW discs formatted in Video mode and finalized on my old iMac G4, but not on my new Intel Mac mini - not that this has anything to do with your dilemma. I have enjoyed my Pioneer model 310 recorder much more than my Panasonic DVD-RAM recorder, so I would recommend both the Pioneer brand and the DVD-RW format.

Good to know about the DVD recorders. I have a dual layer NEC burner in the Media Center PC that will handle most all formats so I should be good. Thanks.

A few other bits of info about MCE. The remotes that come with many tuner cards do not handle all of the MCE functions. You need a "Green Button" remote such as the one Microsoft sells. Thay also sell a wireless MCE keyboard that will access the system through the IR receiver used for the remote and includes the extra MCE buttons on the keyboard. Nice to have. Lots of good info about MCE at http://thegreenbutton.com/ including forums about MCE. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll try to help.

:D

I have a H20 Receiver and DVD Recorder.

I can still record my favorites TV shows on my recorder/HD Receiver the picture looks great!!!

bradhasbrouck said:
I have a H20 Receiver and DVD Recorder.

I can still record my favorites TV shows on my recorder/HD Receiver the picture looks great!!!

Just curious as to what model DVD recorder you use. And what inputs do you use from the H20 to the recorder? Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)