Recording dual mode channel with a TV tuner (Vip 722)

roxlo

Original poster
Dec 21, 2010
US
I have a Vip722 dual mode receiver that transmits TV2 to channel 60. My question is if I use a TV tuner with an antenna for my PC, will I be able to pick up the channel 60 and watch from my computer?

What type of TV tuner would it have to be, regular or digital TV? I'm kind of confused what the receiver transmits, analog or digital signal (ever since the DTV switchover)....

Can anyone help me out please? :yes Thanks in advance.

The TV2 output is analog. Be careful when selecting a TV tuner for your PC, a lot of cheap ones these days will only do digital since it saves a lot of parts vs. analog.

Hi, my name is Tony Thomas from the Dish Network Customer Service team. Just wanted to give props for the answer from Jim S. as that is absolutely correct. You want to be able to access the analog band on whichever tv tuner adapter you use for your computer. Thanks for the post and answer. Any other questions and concerns can be asked right here in the forum and we will make sure to get the answer to you as soon as possible.

Awesome. Thank you both for the replies!

Alternatively, is there anyway to switch the TV2 output to digital?

EDIT: Nevermind, that's not necessary. I searched some and found out the answer myself. Its no AFAIK, but you can change the output to cable, which I did. No antenna required anymore! I'm up and running viewing dish on my PC. Thanks!

Last edited:
This is probably not what you were asking, but you can watch TV2 digitally IF you buy a Sling Adapter and view the channel over the network. It even slings HD, if your computer is fast enough.

Tony-- this is post is a little old, but I'm now trying to do the same thing. I called and chatted with Dish tech support--- not willing to help. I recently bought a Windows7 compatible TV tuner, and would like to watch my Dish programming on my laptop. Could you run me through the steps that would allow me to set this up? I have a VIP722k. I'd really appreciate the help... this turned out to be more complicated than I thought.

Your TV tuner must be a hybrid (ATSC/NTSC) tuner, or else it's not going to do any good with the 722's TV2 (or TV1) outputs. Well, it could be a simple and cheap NTSC tuner, and that would work with a 722. But then it's doubtful to me that it's Win7 compatible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)