Recording from 722 to an external DVD Recorder.

PJW99

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
I am considering purchasing an external DVD Player/Recorder so that I can move programs off of the 722's hard drive onto a DVD. Are there certain brands/models that work better then others?

If it's just for making room on your 722, why not an external HD? You'll lose nothing. Less expensive.

Ive considered that option. However I was told that the External USB hard drive would only work to your receiver, and will not work when it is connected to other 722's or a PC. What I am looking for is a solution where I could take my recordings and play in other locations (i.e parents house, friends house, etc).

Ive considered that option. However I was told that the External USB hard drive would only work to your receiver, and will not work when it is connected to other 722's or a PC. What I am looking for is a solution where I could take my recordings and play in other locations (i.e parents house, friends house, etc).
It would work on another 622/722 in your household, but not others.

Thanks for your help KAB. Having portability and being able to take a DVD recording to other locations outside of my home is more impotant to me then cost, so Im still more inclined to go after an exteral DVD recorder. Its good to know that an external Hard Drive will work on other 722's.

One other question for you. If I dont find an external DVD recorder that will work with my 722, and if I end up getting an external Hard Drive instead, will that work with my other receiver I have (a 211)? IIRC, I think my 211 has either 1 or 2 USB ports in the back of it.

Not yet, the software for the 211 is not available. It was thought to be available over the summer. Most dvd recorders should work, but not via the HD connections. I have dvd recorders by Polaroid and Panasonic hooked up, one each to my 622's via the s-video connection and audio. Both work fine.

Panasonic DMR models have really impressed me. Very easy to record...multiple sessions are easy to achieve making it easy to edit out commercials and have multiple recordings on one disc.... you're not going to get HD quality of course, but they do upconvert and look pretty decent when played back on an HDTV. Some models have an HDMI pass-through in them so you plug the HDMI from your 722 into them then plug HDMI from the recorder into the TV.... but component works just as well for what you'll be using this for....

There are SD DVD recorders that use component (YPbPr or CbCr?)(480i or 480p?)--only a few models and I have only seen one in a store. Panasonic is not one of these. The rest were S-video so they are limited to just better than composite recording even if they have an ATSC tuner and could do a better OTA recording. The Hauppauge has a Mac counterpart but the price is higher, I bet. And at anytime they can lower the boom on component in favor of HDMI DRM.
-Ken

I use the S-video to record to the DVD and if it is an HD, it is a VERY good quality SD image. That is about the economical way, using stand-alone machines, we are ever going to be able to legally record HD to SD DVD to keep. Of course, I do not count the external HDD as that is dependent upon maintaining a Dish Network account and cannot be taken to other locations outside your account boxes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)