Recording locals in HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CEV

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
I'm about to order my first HD tv. It will be a 50" Plasma. I currently have DTV but not the HD setup. I primarily watch primetime tv on my locals. I will want to be able to record these in HD. Will the HR-20 do this for me? I currently have a second dish for the locals that come from Sioux Falls, SD which is about 60 miles away. I'll be calling DTV soon to get an upgrade to HD with the dvr. Will there be any issues that anyone knows of?

Thanks,

CEV

I'm about to order my first HD tv. It will be a 50" Plasma. I currently have DTV but not the HD setup. I primarily watch primetime tv on my locals. I will want to be able to record these in HD. Will the HR-20 do this for me? I currently have a second dish for the locals that come from Sioux Falls, SD which is about 60 miles away. I'll be calling DTV soon to get an upgrade to HD with the dvr. Will there be any issues that anyone knows of?

Thanks,

CEV

Your hd locals will come from the 99 or 103 slot in mpeg4. Your HR20 will be able to record them just fine, when they are available, that is.

HD locals

Sioux Falls is not currently in HD from Directv, and Probably wont be for a long time as it is a very small market. Get the HR 20 and put up an off air antenna for locals. Give s your zip code and we can tell you which antenna is best.

..... Give s your zip code and we can tell you which antenna is best.

Will I still be able to record the locals off the antenna? I am able to now in Standard Def, but would really like to in HD. Does DTV provide and install this OTA antena when installing the new 5-lnb dish?

Thanks,

CEV

The antenna you would need would likely NOT be provided by DirecTV. I would look into maybe a Channel Master CM4228 aimed at 162.5°

I see you have no FOX digital if this is up to date, and FOX is provided by a translator/repeater. K50DG from Brookings. Do you have 2 NBC channels?

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 114
I get my locals through DirectTV at extra $4.99 a month.

Will I still be able to record the locals off the antenna? I am able to now in Standard Def, but would really like to in HD. Does DTV provide and install this OTA antena when installing the new 5-lnb dish?

Thanks,

CEV

Yes the HR20 will allow you to record shows from OTA. I think they sell an antenna which fits on the DISH. YOu need to be really close to the towers. I would goto radio shack and pickup an outdoor antenna. I live 80 miles from my local stations. I have my antenna mounted in my attic and get OTA just fine.

The antenna you would need would likely NOT be provided by DirecTV. I would look into maybe a Channel Master CM4228 aimed at 162.5°

I see you have no FOX digital if this is up to date, and FOX is provided by a translator/repeater. K50DG from Brookings. Do you have 2 NBC channels?

No Fox station listed at all, thats bizarre ...

Jimbo

I get my locals through DirectTV at extra $4.99 a month.

In SD (analog) ONLY correct? I will need a quality antenna setup correctly to pull the digitals in your area and if I am correct, you can feed that OTA into the HR20 for recording.

Is this your scenario? What your are wanting to do?

He has FOX analog provided by a repeater tower basically right in his backyard; I don't think repeaters/translators provide any digital.

Oh, Ok,
I do not have to deal with repeaters so I have no idea if it's digital capable or not, glad I'm not in that situation.

Jimbo

In SD (analog) ONLY correct? I will need a quality antenna setup correctly to pull the digitals in your area and if I am correct, you can feed that OTA into the HR20 for recording.

Is this your scenario? What your are wanting to do?

Yes, that is what I am wanting to do. I want to be able to have the HR20 record my locals in HD.

Thanks,

CEV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)