Recording Time for the HR20

Status
Please reply by conversation.

davethis

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Bay Area, CA
I ran accross this article on ziffdavis (http://review.zdnet.com/DirecTV_HR20_HD_DVR/4505-6474_16-32065196.html). One of the things it talks about is the recording time: 30 hours of MPEG-2 HD, or 50 hours of MPEG-4 HD. I have always heard in recorded 30 hours of HD never 50.

So my question is how can you tell if the signal you are receiving is MPEG-2 or 4? Is it mostly local channels that are in MPEG-4?

If I order the HR20 and the HD package are the HD Local Channels included in the package, or are they an additional fee? I am in the San Francisco Market.

Thanks!!! :)

Well, the mpeg-4 compression would certainly allow one to record more hours than mpeg-2, so I would have to say the 30/50 sounds plausable, however, the numbers would be skewed if you record a combo of mpeg-2 and mpeg-4 shows.

I _think_ only locals are mpeg-4 at the moment.

Your locals will be included.

davethis said:
I ran accross this article on ziffdavis (http://review.zdnet.com/DirecTV_HR20_HD_DVR/4505-6474_16-32065196.html). One of the things it talks about is the recording time: 30 hours of MPEG-2 HD, or 50 hours of MPEG-4 HD. I have always heard in recorded 30 hours of HD never 50.

So my question is how can you tell if the signal you are receiving is MPEG-2 or 4? Is it mostly local channels that are in MPEG-4?

The only mpeg4 channels currently in use are the local channels in hd and the hd rsn's, except for the ones shown on channel 94 and 95.

If I order the HR20 and the HD package are the HD Local Channels included in the package, or are they an additional fee? I am in the San Francisco Market.

Local channels in hd are free as long as you have the local sd package.

Thanks!!! :)

You're welcome!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)