Recording to a DVDR

ffltstn

Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
I have a dishnetwork 625 dvr that i am trying to record from to a Phillips DVDR72/17. Wife is out of town for awhile and I need to send her shows to her. The DVDR is a friends but he has not used it in a while. I can not get the DVDR so see the signal. I was wondering if the switch to digital may be keeping it from working? I have hooked it up using a number of different cables but same result. I can play a dvd with no problem, watch TV with DVDR off, but once i turn it on I just get the DVDR screen. If I can't get it working I will try and use a Dazzle.
Thanks
Ken

Connect the 625 to the DVDR's "in", then connect the DVDR's "out" to the TV. Put the TV on so you can see the DVDR (input or channel 3/4), then put the DVDR on so you can see the DISH programming (DVDR would go on something like "Line 1"). If you're getting a DISH picture with this setup, all you should have to do is press record and the DVDR should record whatever is on the TV.

I've connected it a number of different waye. The best I can get is sound and a pattern of bright color. That for lack of a better term look somewhat pixlated, but not a clear picture. I believe it's the digital signal.
Ken

Assuming you have everything connected right, there could be some sort of copyright protection on there preventing you from being able to copy it.

This might sound crazy, but I would try hooking up your dvr to a VCR (if you still have one) then connect the VCR to the dvdr. It sounds like you have a macrovision kind of problem. An old VCR might be able to ignore whatever copy protection the dvr is sending out. I'd also try using RF instead of composite. This is all just a hunch, of course.

I've connected it a number of different waye. The best I can get is sound and a pattern of bright color. That for lack of a better term look somewhat pixlated, but not a clear picture. I believe it's the digital signal.
Ken

You also have to select the line inputs on the DVDR. Also, make sure you are using composite outputs from the DVR and are using red/white/yellow RCA cables and they are connected to the same color coded in/outs of the TV and the DVDR.

On my 625 DVR, I have the composite (red/white/yellow) out from TV1 to the DVDR's composite input. The DVDR has to be set to expect the signal from the composite cables. On mine it is AV1 for the jacks on the back, AV2 for the jacks on the front. I use an HDMI cable to go from the DVDR to the TV, so the TV has to be set to accept that input.

I have not had any problems recording from the DVR to the DVDR.

You need to make sure to use the video out from the 625 not the home distribution out see picture.
Dish625TV2.jpg

Then on the Philips DVDR72/17 make sure to use the video in "Yellow" IN-EXT2 not the IN-EXT1 component in "Red, Green, Blue" make sure your output from the DVDR goes to the TV from the OUT-2 also. You can use a S-Video cable if you have them. you will need 2 one to go to TV also.
514SKJ71ZYL._AA300_.jpg

Yesterday a neighbor asked me if they can transfer from the 722 to their computer and then onto a blank DVD. I told them probably not but even if you could you would need a Blu-ray burner and Blu-ray blanks to copy HD. Can someone confirm this please?

Perhaps your best bet is to get one of these. They are not free. From this (connected to the Dish receiver via component cables) you can record in AVCHD on a standard DVD (or to Blu-ray). It will still be in HD, even on the DVD (just shorter record time per disk). The AVCHD DVD should play just fine in any Blu-ray player.

The best video would be using the S video connections. You would still need to connect the Red/White audio connections. You would have to set up the DVDR to the S video inout as video source.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)