Recording To an External Harddrive from a 211

hemway

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Arizona
I thought I read sometime ago that once Dish opened the USB port up so it could be used with external storage, they were going to come out with an upgrade that would be able schedule and record shows on the 211 to and record them to the external HD.

Was that something that was being talked about sometime ago or is my mind playing tricks on me after spending the weekend with a case of Bud Select?

So I'm not nuts? There was talk of being able to record a show to an external hard drive?

What about the ability to play a recording from a hard drive that was recorded on a 622?

So I'm not nuts? There was talk of being able to record a show to an external hard drive?

What about the ability to play a recording from a hard drive that was recorded on a 622?
No, you're not nuts. Last I read, it will be sometime after the first of the year. Also, it was reported that 211 and 622 EHDs will not be interchangeable.

What a shame that you won't be able to plug your external HD from your 622 into the 211. If I could do that I could move the HD to the bedroom and make my wife watch her recordings of the Bachelor in there.

What a shame that you won't be able to plug your external HD from your 622 into the 211. If I could do that I could move the HD to the bedroom and make my wife watch her recordings of the Bachelor in there.

The 211 drive has to contain the Linux version that the system is running in addition to any programs you've stored on disk.

The 622 external drive is just raw storage; so there's no way to run Linux once you hook up the 622s external drive to a 211.

Best,

exactly when is the 211 going to be enabled to record to a harddrive, I'm getting impatient...

The 211 drive has to contain the Linux version that the system is running in addition to any programs you've stored on disk.

The 622 external drive is just raw storage; so there's no way to run Linux once you hook up the 622s external drive to a 211.

Best,

I'm not sure about why the 211 would need the Linux on the HD. I would think the linux is embedded, just like it is on the 622. The 622 works just fine with the HD removed, other than the warning about a bad HD. I would think offloading any of the S/W to an external drive would be difficult as the system would still need to operate w the drive removed. This is just a theory, though.

I do want the feature added soon or I might just give up on my 211 and run a cable from my 622 to my bedroom TV.

Miner

exactly when is the 211 going to be enabled to record to a harddrive, I'm getting impatient...

Goodluck I've ben impatient since 2004 awaiting for dish to turn on USB ports on 721, 522 :mad: I've given up for the most part and reside myself to the fact you need a 622 or 722 if you want external HD support :mad:
In other words Dish is still clueless when it comes to "whats USB for" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)