recover hard drive not recognized by bios

avg1joe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
Southern Maine
My brother's computer had been working fine consistently day in and day out. Suddenly the hard drive is not recognized by the bios. I tried the drive in another computer and still not recognized by the bios. Other drives work with the same cables or motherboards that this one does not. He has photos and videos that he would like to get off the drive but I am stumped.

Thanks for the link Diogen. I'll file that info away for when I run into one of those drives.

This drive is an old Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120gb ide. I have a few tools I can use for recovery but not when the bios doesn't recognize the drive. I'm wondering if swapping the pcb is worth trying. I've never swapped a pcb and don't know too much about it. There is a code on the drive and it seems important to match that code. I saw a board which appears compatible for $26 on ebay. I don't think my brother wants to spend $370 or more for the pros to do it.

Diogen:

It is unlikely the linux disk will help. The drive has to respond across the sata bus to be enumerated within the bios and it isn't; across multiple machines. Another option would be to shove it in an external enclosure. This would at least indicate whether the spindle powers up or not.

Given what the OP has done already, it is unlikely that using linux on a stick will solve this.

[soapbox]
Drives are cheap. Buy an external drive at least the same size as your os disk and use the included backup software or a backup utility. I like acronis true image for windows. If it's mac, time machine does the job handily.

It protects from both hardware failure and that "oh crap" moment when you realize your brain was lagging behind your fingers.
[/soapbox]

Swyped on my CM'D Evo using tapatalk!

I have a few linux disks that I use for troubleshooting hardware. I tried puppy retro 3, lucid puppy, and ubuntu 8 live cds. None of them recognized the drive was there. It did not show up in the "mount" screen and none of the partition programs picked it up. I tried installing testdrive but wasn't able to install it. Do I need to be connected to the net to do that or is it on the install cd? Do I need a working hard drive to add it or will it load into memory like the rest of the live cd?

Is there some advantage to running the drive via a usb adapter instead of being installed internally? Everything I've tried so far has been with the drive installed internally.

I haven't seen it on any install CDs (haven't used many).
Being connected to the internet simplifies things dramatically. But isn't a prerequisite.
Yes, it can just run from memory. Would have to be re-installed if you shut down.

I use USB enclosure mostly for simplicity: no need to reboot when (re)connecting IDE/SATA devices.
Sometimes the motherboard BIOS will try forever to recognize a failing (internal) drive...

Have you noticed change in sound? Clicking, hissing, powering up and down? Any sound at all?
Exotic sounds more often than not mean internal hardware failure (motor, bearings, head, etc.) that can't be worked around with software tools.

Have you tried freezing it?

Diogen.

It is unlikely the linux disk will help. The drive has to respond across the sata bus to be enumerated within the bios and it isn't; across multiple machines.
Linux probably won't help, but you'll certainly never find out if you try to plug a IDE drive into a SATA bus. ;)

In the immortal words of the great Dr. Leonard McCoy, "It's dead Jim".

In this case, it is probably the electronics that are dead and you would need a relatively adjacent serial numbered drive board to fix it (assuming it didn't soil itself when the electronics went away).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)