RedSox R.I.P.

The Red Sox fought to the end like true champions. They just didn't get that one more big hit they needed, so now we're subjected to watching a World Series being played in the stinkin' dome instead of Fenway Park. Kudos to the Rays and what they've accomplished, but as a fan I say that stinks.

Sox fans should be proud of their team's efforts. I do think they missed Manny, not his antics but his protection of Big Papi. Theo Epstein is one of the shrewdest execs in baseball, you can be sure he'll figure that out.

The Sox will be back, this is a team with a bunch of young stars in the lineup, or on the way to the lineup to replace aging veterans, a sagely manager who knows how to push all the right buttons and handles his team beautifully, a deep and talented pitching staff, rabid fans who make playing in their stadium very difficult, and ghosts who show up every once in a while to help things along when times get tough. Not to mention the deep pockets that can solve what other things don't.

There was a team southwest of the Red Sox, who not all that long ago used to be able to say the exact same things. But not so much anymore.

Here's hoping the southwest team rights the ship and brings the rivalry back where it belongs...in October. Until then, I guess we're going to have to watch carpet baseball!

As an aside, there is a chance, especially if they win the Series but even if they don't, a lot of Rays players will be looking for big contracts. And based on Tampa's attendance/revenue/salary history, I'm not sure if they'll pay them...which may lead to the Rays eventually being the 'Marlins north'. Not saying this will happen next year, necessarily, but Tampa doesn't seem like a team/ownership structure built for five year runs like the Yankees and Red Sox have had.

Just my two cents....

Sandra

As usual, Sandra is the voice of reason. :)

Great post, Sandra! :up

I don't give a crap about the red sox vs yankees.......

I just know that most of america, including myself, will tune out a world series with an expansion team in it.

Yeah, when my kids are adults, they'll like the devil rays, or rays, or whatever they are calling themselves. But me, being 38 years old, I want to see a team I grew up on in the series.......the reds,pirates,cards,braves,etc.......

MOST fans of baseball wanted a dodgers vs red sox series......

I guess I'll get some good sleep during this series......

Just because the Rays isn't an original team, they don't deserve to be in the World Series? That's just ridiculous.

I'll admit I wont watch the World Series, but that's because I don't watch baseball that my team isn't playing in, not because the Rays is a newer team.

I think more people will watch it because it's the Rays, they want to watch this Cinderella story come true, even though I think the Phillies will win. People get bored of the same team every year.

I didn't say they didn't deserve it, I simply don't have an attachment to them. Therefore, I won't be watching. I don't care if they win or not.

Like ALOT of sports fans, I root for:

My favorite team

OR

A team from my childhood that did well.

Example: how many of you 35+ yr olds are fans of the: 49ers,Cowboys,Steelers,OILERS,.......

It meant nothing to me when the raven and panthers were in the superbowl.

Sorry, that's just how it is.....

Just because the Rays isn't an original team, they don't deserve to be in the World Series? That's just ridiculous.

I'll admit I wont watch the World Series, but that's because I don't watch baseball that my team isn't playing in, not because the Rays is a newer team.

I think more people will watch it because it's the Rays, they want to watch this Cinderella story come true, even though I think the Phillies will win. People get bored of the same team every year.

Exactly right, cybok :up,

IMO, that's what makes this series so intriguing.

On one side you have the 10 year old Rays, who before this year, have never had a winning season.

On the other side you have the 125 years old Phillies, with only 1 World Series victory.

This is the prototypical "somethings got to give series". That's what makes it very compelling, IMO.

I didn't say they didn't deserve it, I simply don't have an attachment to them. Therefore, I won't be watching. I don't care if they win or not.

Like ALOT of sports fans, I root for:

My favorite team

OR

A team from my childhood that did well.

Example: how many of you 35+ yr olds are fans of the: 49ers,Cowboys,Steelers,OILERS,.......

It meant nothing to me when the raven and panthers were in the superbowl.

Sorry, that's just how it is.....

OK, I agree with you that I don't watch it because my team isn't in it. It just seemed to me that you were saying that they didn't deserve it because they are a expansion team.

It's nice to see two teams who either it's their first time in the WS (Rays) or it's been a long time since they were in the WS (Phillies).

I just hope my Rangers will be there SOME day.

After reading some of the posts, it's safe to say that Sandy is a much more respectful and better-posting Yankees fan since scobuck. Compare how she lauded Boston for their heart and effort to the 'RIP' idea. Talk about night and day.

I think this will be a great series. Two teams that play fundamentally sound baseball. On one side you have the Phillies and their grand total of 1 WS championship, not to mention they are the all time loss record holder. On the flipside you have the young upstarts from St. Petersburg, (where the fans didn't even care until they got to the ALCS.) This team is so young that their mom's still pack them game snacks. Now that I think about it, I'd be worried if I were the Yankee's and Red Sox, these guys will be good for quite a while.

Phillies have the defense and the bullpen, so I give them the edge in 7 games. That's what the brain says. My heart though, being no fan of anything Philadelphia, would like the young upstarts to win. So I'm rooting for Tampa Bay. No matter the outcome , it will be a good series, so sit back, open a bottle of the beverage of choice, and enjoy!

I think this will be a great series. Two teams that play fundamentally sound baseball. On one side you have the Phillies and their grand total of 1 WS championship, not to mention they are the all time loss record holder. On the flipside you have the young upstarts from St. Petersburg, (where the fans didn't even care until they got to the ALCS.) This team is so young that their mom's still pack them game snacks. Now that I think about it, I'd be worried if I were the Yankee's and Red Sox, these guys will be good for quite a while.

Damn straight they are! :up

Phillies have the defense and the bullpen, so I give them the edge in 7 games. That's what the brain says. My heart though, being no fan of anything Philadelphia, would like the young upstarts to win. So I'm rooting for Tampa Bay. No matter the outcome , it will be a good series, so sit back, open a bottle of the beverage of choice, and enjoy!

Sound advice! :up Great post, Paul! :)

After reading some of the posts, it's safe to say that Sandy is a much more respectful and better-posting Yankees fan since scobuck. Compare how she lauded Boston for their heart and effort to the 'RIP' idea. Talk about night and day.

I guess you told me. :rolleyes:

I will ask again, keep the comments about the posts, and not about the people posting. There is no rule here that says you have to make a post in any thread that is not of interest to you.

Well, I am for one glad that the Bosox are playing video games during the WS this year. So, Boston RSX can RIP along with the Angels and others that did not make it.

I do not know what the big deal was about having a RIP thread directed to the BOSTON Red Sox. Did they fight hard? Yes. Did they do everything they could? Yes. But there is another team that did it better and therefore today they are RIP. Those are facts. Just like the fact that the YANKEES could not even accomplished getting to the playoffs or the METS choked again for the 2nd year. I am a fan of both and I know that they both will be back next year trying to put a wining team on the field.

Now the rays have proven something about New Stadiums vs putting a wining team on the field. People will come to see a competitive team. People will not show up to see a new stadium. This is what teams should concentrate on. Getting a team like TB. This team could easily sweep the phils and win it all and next year come back with a stronger team. This is not in any way the Marlins who won championship and then dismantled the teams the year after. This team just sent a message to the AL (especially Boston and NY). They will be good next year as well. So Boston and NY RIP.

I do not know what the big deal was about having a RIP thread directed to the BOSTON Red Sox.

There really is no big deal. Just some thin skinned fans IMHO. There is way MORE negative stuff said around here about the Yankees than all the other teams COMBINED. And that is a FACT.

I don't recall a single one of those threads being moderated.

Not to go off topic, but is anyone else having problems with the first post of every page of every thread?

Attachments

• Capture (20,13_10_12).jpg
    Capture (20,13_10_12).jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 114
  • Capture (20,13_10_22).jpg
    Capture (20,13_10_22).jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 104

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)