Refurbushing KTI / AJAK 180

Status
Please reply by conversation.

estep

Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
San Diego
I am refurbishing a 10.5' KTI dish and drive mechanisms. It seems to have an AJAK 180 or similar. Would very much appreciate learning where I can get any relevant documentation on the mechanicals, particularly the AJAK.

Thanks,
Estep

Also, search the forum on the key word, AJAK
You'll find lots of pictures and discussions over the last 5 years.
They made several models, and it's their biggest.
The 180 basic mechanism was mated to a number of dish-mounts, so don't let that confuse you.

Many members have recycled 'em, refurbished 'em, repainted 'em, and put them on a pedestal (pun intended). - :)
The 180 must've been built in pretty good quantity; it's probably one of the two most likely H-H you'll find, today.
Don't think there's a bad word to say about it. ;)

There's even another active thread right now, where a member has sandblasted a rusty one, and is bringing it back to life.

Thanks for the help!

Yes, ours is a slightly different model. What surprised me is that the worm drive assy mounting bolts (2) and the clamping cap screws for securing onto the mast are 1/2"-12!
That's BSW, (Whitworth)! I think even the Brits quit using these on cars in the 50's and motorcycles in the late 60's. BSW bolts are darn scarce! Were these worm drives from the UK?

Are the motors still available? Anyone know who the motor mfr is/was? Are they 24 vdc or 36 vdc? The homebrew motor supply we have is 24v.

I'll try to get some nice photo's posted when I get a chance.

-Estep

Thanks for the help!

Yes, ours is a slightly different model. What surprised me is that the worm drive assy mounting bolts (2) and the clamping cap screws for securing onto the mast are 1/2"-12!
That's BSW, (Whitworth)! I think even the Brits quit using these on cars in the 50's and motorcycles in the late 60's. BSW bolts are darn scarce! Were these worm drives from the UK?

Are the motors still available? Anyone know who the motor mfr is/was? Are they 24 vdc or 36 vdc? The homebrew motor supply we have is 24v.

I'll try to get some nice photo's posted when I get a chance.

-Estep
It should be rated at 36v post some pictures i might have one laying around i like to see if its the same.If you run 24v it might turn a little slower.

The motor on the AJAK is a 30V DC motor. Suitable to run on 24V to 36V. The AJAK I refurbed was in very good shape and you could see the markings on the motor indicating the Voltage.

Attachments

• AJAK 012.JPG
    AJAK 012.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 473
In your first picture, that's a very unusual reed switch 'n magnet wheel modification.
Never seen anything like it.
Looking at the white disc part, it appears to be made specifically for the mount.
And if that's a 24 magnet disc I see there, that would be a step up from the usual 10 pulses the AJAK gets (which isn't bad).

The original had five large magnets on a disc, and the reed switch was rigged to get two pulses per magnet.
Very clever design, but probably not easily upgradable to more pulses (with the reeds of the day).
Today, we have tiny reeds, and ultra small magnets, and -could- make a disc like the original.
Yours appears to use a multi-pole magnetic disc, and the only question is: how many poles does it have?
8, 12, 24, would be common today.

I was able to find a extra motor that was given to me by a retired satellite installer a few years back,
it looks exactly the same as the one you have there is a small magnet wheel that is screwed right on to the shaft over the white plastic cover, the reed is inserted into the holder the other motor next to it is the more common Ajak with the 5 magnet wheel disc.I have not tested the other motor for pulse counts i will get a chance when i rebuild the Ajak mount that i have.

002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG001.JPG

Anole was right on. Mine is a 12 pole ring magnet with a reed switch. Takoulis appears to have the same housing and magnet without the reed switch.

-Estep

What I meant by the 'spinclination' was that the declination appears to be set by turning the dish mounting ring, similar to an Orbitron back plate.

You don't happen to have any other pics that include the dish do you?

AJAKW2C.JPGAJAKW1C.JPG
Here are a couple of photos of fit-up after powder coating. Worm gear drives are in work and have been fitted with new thrust bearings. View taken from above bench.

- Estep

Wow, I wouldn't have thought about powder coating.
( tryin' to get another 30 years out of it? )
Sure looks good, though.
What sort of prep did you do to get it ready for the powder?

Well, this dish lives about 1/2 mile from the Pacific Ocean. And where would I buy a new one? Powder coaters only wanted $150 for full sandblast to bare metal, bake-out, and to immediately apply heavy marine powder coating on the parts you see. Yes, I'd like it to last a long time...

One thing I noted was the welding is plenty strong, but plain ugly. In fact, excess bead between the clevis features on main axes was found. These were actually binding and had gouged the inner faces of the joint. I'd recommend anyone doing an AJAK refurb check for this and grind away any interfering excess bead, before refinishing.

-Estep

Reactions: martin-f
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)