Remember these?

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Some caps from VHS tapes I am going through to archive stuff from...

Attachments

• CBS Sports.jpg
    CBS Sports.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 189
  • Loni.jpg
    Loni.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 187
  • Wednesday CBS.jpg
    Wednesday CBS.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 159
  • WKRP.jpg
    WKRP.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 185
Good God ! I thought vcr tapes only lasted 10 years at the most before they degraded beyond use. Those shots on WKRP go back to the late 70's & early 80s .

It was a promo for WKRP, I hope I have some... That was from a NFC Championship game between the Cowboys and 49'ers, the way Bradshaw was talking, he was still active then... (and I think some are going bad as the volume is bad I had to get a new player as I have stuff to archive before it is unrecoverable)

Good God ! I thought vcr tapes only lasted 10 years at the most before they degraded beyond use. Those shots on WKRP go back to the late 70's & early 80s .

nah. I've cbeen copying stuff from tape to DVD and I have some basketball games that I videotaped (high school) that is from 92-93 :)

Looks just as good as the day I edited it

I have VCR tapes from 1981 that lasted up till 2004. I put them to dvd and I haven't play the VHS tapes now. But one thing I can tell you is this. The older tapes would have lasted longer then anything you purchased in the last 10 years. Every time I got to sales I can tell how old a tape is because the older vhs tapes are heavier. They made them better when they first came out. And yes, they lasted longer.

I remember paying $25 or more for 1 tape back when...

You mean when VCR's were $800-$1000 dollars?

I remember I bought an NEC 27" STEREO (oboy!) TV for $799 back in 1986. I bought the companion STEREO (oboy!) VCR with it for the same price!!

VCR gave up the ghost a long time ago, but the TV just won't die!! (I want a new flat screen) :)

I can remember my parents paying 800 dollars for a "Four Head" player that was the big thing 2 head VS 4 head. I do a double look when I see blank VHS tapes for sale, its good to see they are still around. We have a player that every year when I sort things to give away, I just wont let it go!

I remember I bought an NEC 27" STEREO (oboy!) TV for $799 back in 1986. I bought the companion STEREO (oboy!) VCR with it for the same price!!

Holy crap my stepdad has the same TV....and until it died the same VCR ;)

still has it...picture looks horrible on it but they wont get rid of it.....that and the cabinet that it is in (this old wood cabinet) wont fit any other TV

From my archives . I remember the hollywood studios going after the VCR . [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzl0-8URiXo"]YouTube - RCA Selectivision VCR Commercial[/ame]

Early ideas for the DVR? :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjbKXpmtJXo]YouTube - 1987 Panasonic VCR commercial[/ame]

I had the Sony Betamax. I was about the only one around my parts that did. But it recorded much better the the VCR did.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHHSs_ilMDg"]YouTube- Sony Betamax VCR Commercial[/ame]

The cost of tapes back in 1986. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUB1plwSatE&feature=related]YouTube - Wal-Mart VHS Tapes Ad from 1986[/ame]

Holy crap my stepdad has the same TV....and until it died the same VCR ;)

still has it...picture looks horrible on it but they wont get rid of it.....that and the cabinet that it is in (this old wood cabinet) wont fit any other TV

Ours still looks great, that's why I can't justify a new TV!! Mine is black and has the speakers on either side, I know they had another model with the speakers on the bottom.

My Original was a Philco VHS, I was living with my parents at the time... had a cousin who bought a Beta... ;) 2nd was Curtis Mathes portable (2 units, 1 attached to a color camera) ...
I also ran across a Tour of Duty episode last night... I have Superbowl 13 and the Cowboys vs. Redskins game from that same season (on CBS) where Staubach led them from behind.

Ours still looks great, that's why I can't justify a new TV!! Mine is black and has the speakers on either side, I know they had another model with the speakers on the bottom.

I think theirs is that one with the speakers on the bottom

Too funny...heck, I still had dozens of Michigan football games I recorded on VHS from back in the 80s. Although it wasn't easy, I finally got rid of them when we moved two-years. I finally figured they wouldn't be missed since I haven't watched then since the day or two after they were recorded (20+ years). I also got rid of some VHS tapes I purchased back in '82 while stationed overseas. I remember paying something like $40 for a copy of Pink Panther. Yikes! Of course, the bootleg copies were cheap overseas ($10), but their quality was terrible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)