GEOSATpro remote CONTROL

toucan-man

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Wisconsin
I dropped a pair of fresh AAA lithium batteries in the remote and it is much more responsive. Someone else suggested a battery change, well I think they are right. What thinketh you?

Sure, why not? I simply tilted the MicroHD receiver position on the high shelf it's sitting on in my entertainment center so that the IR "eye" is more on a line with my chair position. It really doesn't seem to have much off-axis "view" of the beam.

I've also in the past modified various remotes with a new higher-powered IR diode from Radio Shack, and I've been thinking about doing that to the MicroHD remote. It can make a world of difference depending on the device.

My wife only has one request in the remote department, ... ONE remote to turn the TV on, off and use for satellite TV. Universal remote. Personally, I don't care... Two remotes for bedroom TV, six remotes for entertainment TV...;>)

Sure, why not? I simply tilted the MicroHD receiver position on the high shelf it's sitting on in my entertainment center so that the IR "eye" is more on a line with my chair position. It really doesn't seem to have much off-axis "view" of the beam.

I've also in the past modified various remotes with a new higher-powered IR diode from Radio Shack, and I've been thinking about doing that to the MicroHD remote. It can make a world of difference depending on the device.

if u do that and it works, please tell us everything as i would like to try it.

I simply tilted the MicroHD receiver position on the high shelf it's sitting on in my entertainment center so that the IR "eye" is more on a line with my chair position. It really doesn't seem to have much off-axis "view" of the beam.
You know how this box is very light? We have it sitting near the floor, underneath the set, and I notice today that the cable had pulled the box up and at an angle, so maybe that's what's responsible for my noticeable improvement, not the new batteries. We watch TV in a darkened room at night and I had no idea this happened.

I too will await the results of your remote's surgery. After he gets out of recovery, do post an update.

You just buy one of these: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062565

and replace the IR emitter in the remote with it. They have a polarity to them as they are a diode, so make sure you observe that. I haven't yet done this myself to the MicroHD remote, but I've done it to others and it's worked well.

There are also these, which would be put on the MicroHD receiver itself: http://www.hometech.com/hts/products/infrared/emitters/at-irprism.html

You can do either the remote mod, OR the IR Prism. I'm not sure what would happen if you did both! lol.

I never use the batteries that come with remotes..they are junk.

Always use brand new batteries....

I have turned the Micro at about a 30 degree angle towards my easy chair....just because :)

I got my replacement unit a few days ago, and all has been well. I just did an update via the satellite and that was good.
So, I started scanning some sats... I had noticed the remote to be a little unresponsive, I thought it was just the angle I was pointing it.
Then I started flipping through the channels that I had just scanned, a bunch of $ channels on 67w, I was just pressing the up or down arrows, but every so often it would go black, stop responding, and then reboot. After that it worked okay for a while again. I have had this problem repeat a few times.

So I see this thread on the forum about the remote, I'm going to try switching out the batteries, hopefully that's the whole problem, and now that I think of it, I think I had to replace the batteries on the first unit too! If you don't hear from me again, you know they worked.
I just added this post in case it helps someone.

EDITED--- it didn't work, it still has a rebooting issue... I will add info to another thread

Last edited:

if u do that and it works, please tell us everything as i would like to try it.

You know how this box is very light? We have it sitting near the floor, underneath the set, and I notice today that the cable had pulled the box up and at an angle, so maybe that's what's responsible for my noticeable improvement, not the new batteries. We watch TV in a darkened room at night and I had no idea this happened.

I too will await the results of your remote's surgery. After he gets out of recovery, do post an update.

You just buy one of these, click the link: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062565

and replace the IR emitter in the remote with it. They have a polarity to them as they are a diode, so make sure you observe that. I haven't yet done this myself to the MicroHD remote, but I've done it to others and it's worked well.

Well, I was bored tonight watching a Svengoolie werewolf movie recording from Saturday. I was finally fed up with border-line slow or barely any response of the remote. I decided to stop procrastinating and do the mod to the MicroHD remote and replace the present IR emitter led with the Radio Shack high-output LED. You can buy it at the link above. Here it is again: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062565 They are cheap, buy multiples, you'll want them!

WOW! was I stupid in not doing this SOONER! This remote is now super-powered! If the receiver is considered to be at "12 o'clock" inside a cabinet, I can now point the remote as far away as 10AM or 2PM, and it'll still control the receiver! The receiver is now SNAP, SNAP, SNAP responsive! I didn't change anything else, and I've been running brand-new Duracell Procell batteries right through this, so that was never an issue. The only difference is the new high-powered IR emitter. It was VERY easy to replace also.

Remove the batteries, then just run your thumb finger nail (or a hard PLASTIC wedge) in the crack between the top and bottom pieces all around the remote, while slightly pulling it apart at the same time. The nail will pop the little snaps inside, and pulling slightly will pull the pieces apart. Then, just lift the top off with the rubber key pad on it. Then, to remove it, pull up lightly on the end of the circuit board of the remote where the battery clips are as you have to pull those out between the plastic slits they sit in. Be careful not to bend or damage the present IR emitter on the other end. Then, look at the circuit board where the IR LED is. You will see it print marked + and -. Remember, this is a diode, and has a polarity. You need to observe this. You can also look through the plastic lense on the LED and see the way it's built and which part is - and which is +. Install the new one the same way.

Take the new Radio Shack emitter out of its package, look inside its lense at the way the diode is oriented, one side is straight, and the other side is a larger wedge device, and then match/bend the wires like the original to length. Carefully UNsolder the original led (using a solder PENCIL, about 15 or 30 watts max. Do not use a high-powered soldering GUN!) from the board with solder braid. Remember again, this is a DIODE and is sensitive to heat! If you don't feel capable, ask a friend to unsolder and solder it for you. Then install the new high powered led, and solder it to the board. MAKE SURE THE INSIDE IS ORIENTED THE SAME WAY THE ORIGINAL WAS POLARITY WISE! If you accidentally reverse install it, the first time you apply power, it'll probably destroy it. Clip the extra wires off at the solder joint.

Ok, now put the circuit board back into the base carefully pushing the led into the front hole, then lay down the back end of the board while carefully sliding the battery clips into their slits in the remote bottom piece. Then, orient the top with rubber keypad on top and make sure the battery clips, rubber keys, and everything seems ok, then CLICK/SNAP them together! Put the original IR diode into the Radio Shack bag, label it, and put it away if you need it in the future.

You are done! Now test it, and marvel at how good it works, ENJOY! If you love it, feel free to click the THANKS button below! lol.

PLEASE also leave a follow-up post on your results!

P.S. Disclaimer: I am a professional electronics tech, and have been for almost 40 years. I KNOW what I am doing. IF you do this and mess it up, IT IS YOUR FAULT. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY. My instructions are more than enough for a hobbyist to do this mod. Please, if you aren't capable, ask a friend that is capable.

P.P.S. Brian, if you want to break out this post to it's own thread, or re-title it, that's fine with me. Hopefully you are ok with this mod. It really makes a serious difference in receiver responsiveness.

Last edited:
Great modification and initiative! Keep us updated with any additional observations of the modified remote operation.

I agree that this is a simple project that most hobbyists should be very capable of performing and should only take a few minutes.

Just a reminder: The GEOSATpro product warranty is voided by physical modification.

Great modification and initiative! Keep us updated with any additional observations of the modified remote operation.

I agree that this is a simple project that most hobbyists should be very capable of performing and should only take a few minutes.

Just a reminder: The GEOSATpro product warranty is voided by physical modification.

Well, that's a consideration I hadn't paid attention to. I didn't consider this much different than opening the case to use the TTL cable to recover from a boot-loop, which Brian has said didn't void the warranty. I would then have to recommend buying a second remote to mod. I think the price of the remote is quite reasonable, but personally I think the shipping is a bit higher than what it needs to be. That being said, Brian knows his own overhead and what it costs to ship, so maybe I am wrong on that.

The mod is well worth doing. I would do it again in a heart-beat. It makes all the difference in the world on receiver responsiveness.

I modified the remote it works real good.This mode made my micro work like it should.I have 5 HD receivers all different brands after the remote fix the micro is number 1 thanks primestat 31

I haven't found any downsides to this mod as of yet. Still works perfectly, correctly, and super-powered compared to the as-shipped version. Too bad these remotes don't come with a higher-powered LED emitter already installed. I don't know if it'll drain the batteries a little bit quicker, but even if it does, it's still worth it.

I don't have an older Glorystar receiver to test it against for a comparison, BUT, the mod makes all the difference using it with the MicroHD receiver. Much more responsive and sure when you click a button. It carries a further distance also.

Keep us appraised long-term. We will modify a few at the office and test.

Our hardware testing is over multiple months with critical review before considering any manufacturing modifications. A simple well intended mistake could lead to a customer experience nightmare and sever economic impact when considering the tens of thousands of units that are shipped each year.

Hello to All.

With the beta version of the latest software 0.13, the remote control of MicroHD, and vastly improved. Much more 'responsive.

Some information, but maybe already 'know.
To browse more 'quickly through channels or menus' you can 'use the "Double arrows down'."

Hello max

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts