Repeated HDMI failures linked to power outages

dishdude

SatelliteGuys God
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Ok here goes, I just lost a second 622 to a failed HDMI port. My first 622 (Installed Dec 06) went out after the power flashed off for a minute or two (I get frequent, short power interruptions here). The failure was different than what others have posted, I would get a picture and audio, but the picture and sound would blink off for about half a second every 2-3 seconds. Last week I replaced that with a brand new 622, fresh from the factory, this one even said HDMI on the back instead of digital video out.

Fast forward to today, the power went out again for a couple minutes, and when it came back on I had the same exact problem with the HDMI port! All other outputs work, except the HDMI port blinks on and off again! I tried unplugging the tv and 622, and I continue to have the same problem.

I know, I know, I should of had it on a UPS! I am going to pick one up now! Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced UPS for my 622 and JVC D-ILA? I was going to get one to protect the bulb on the tv but never got around to it...shame on me. Anyone have any other ideas?

You really should have your DVRs on UPSs. All of mine are (and always have been) and I generally have not experienced any of the problems reported on here.

Just put my HT system on a UPS. I picked up one of the Geek Squad UPSs from BB. It is a good sized unit that runs my whole system. I think it was about $160-170. With my 50" DLP, Vip622 and receiver it is at about 30% capacity. The Xbox jacks it up a bit higher but still only about 40%.

Last edited:
Im not really sure. I have an APC BackUPS 750 in my living room. I have a Samsung 56" DLP, a 942 and a 622 hooked up to it. Ive never had it kick in with the TV on, but I have flipped a breaker for about 45 minutes and both of the Dish receivers stayed up just fine.

Is the problem really loss of power or, as I suspect, power surges when the power tries to recover? I live in a rural, mountain community and do not run UPSs on anything. However, I have a whole-house surge protection system (plus lightening rods) and have never lost any electronic device (going on 17 years). If the issue is loss of power, then even with UPSs you will have problems. UPSs only bridge brief outages.

Is the problem really loss of power or, as I suspect, power surges when the power tries to recover? I live in a rural, mountain community and do not run UPSs on anything. However, I have a whole-house surge protection system (plus lightening rods) and have never lost any electronic device (going on 17 years). If the issue is loss of power, then even with UPSs you will have problems. UPSs only bridge brief outages.

But the better ones also have power conditioners/surge protectors. Also, the hard drive really doesn't like losing power suddenly.

I have a 1400 UPS that will run a long time. My HMDI just went out. No power surges that I know of.

Any ideas?

Spend at least $100. I'd say 750 is the absolute minimum, a 1400 or so would be much better. Don't buy one that you haven't heard the brand name before.

I have my ViP622 & D-ILA (& receiver) on a fancy audio grade UPS costing hundreds, which will run it all for about an hour. I forget the brand. It used to be on a regular computer grade 750. Audio grade has more oomph in the capacitors for sudden changes in music, such as heavy bass.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts