Replacing A Dead Receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rickety Cricket

Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
California
Well, my receiver won't turn on anymore so I'm looking for a replacement but I have a couple questions. I've seen a few D12's and D11's on ebay that state they are owned and provide the ID. How do I check if they are actually owned and not leased? And if I buy the receiver will I have to purchase a new card?

Call Direct ask for the access card dept and give them the RID number of STB in question. They will be able to give you it's history. You will have to get a new access card no matter what at $20.00.

If its leased Direct should replace it free. If its owned then you need to either lease or buy another STB. If they offer you an upgrade watch out for a 2 year contract extension.

Directv will probably give you an SD receiver for free if you have had your current one for a while. May even offer you an HD setup for free/cheap. Call and ask. New SD receiver requires 18 months, new HD recevier requires 24 months. If you want to avoid contract, hit ebay like you said.

Yes they always try to sneak in the contact thing. The best thing to do is be informed and ask questions before agreeing to anything. Never assume anything since it may come back and bite you. I have done my homework since before I got Direct learning about it. I saw what my options were then agreed only when I had to. There are options that keep you in the drivers seat instead of Direct. Most people don't want to deal with all the hoops needed to jump through though and settle or get burned.

Well, my receiver won't turn on anymore so I'm looking for a replacement but I have a couple questions. I've seen a few D12's and D11's on ebay that state they are owned and provide the ID. How do I check if they are actually owned and not leased? And if I buy the receiver will I have to purchase a new card?

If your receiver is indeed defective, and it's a lease, Directv will replace it for no charge if you have the protection plan, and for shipping only if you don't have it. Sometimes they waive the shipping fee. If they do replace it for being defective and it's also leased, there is no contract extension.

if its defective the only time it should be an extension is if you upgrade the type (like going to a DVR)

What I do not understand is if a receiver is leased (from Dish Network or Directv) and you want to activate it then they won't (for those buying a yard sale or ebay). Why don't they let you activate it with your knowledge of it being their property and that it needs to be returned when you are no longer using it? This would be better than them having to provide a new receiver to you at their cost. The only reason I can think of is that this would bring value to all of these leased receivers on the market as people would sell them instead of returning them.

What I do not understand is if a receiver is leased (from Dish Network or Directv) and you want to activate it then they won't (for those buying a yard sale or ebay). Why don't they let you activate it with your knowledge of it being their property and that it needs to be returned when you are no longer using it? This would be better than them having to provide a new receiver to you at their cost. The only reason I can think of is that this would bring value to all of these leased receivers on the market as people would sell them instead of returning them.

Directv does a lot of waste and like to fill landfills. They won't activate anything but ones that meet certain criteria. A receiver that works is a receiver that works. The money they save from reusing leases and ones with balances could be used more productively such as keep our bills down. Its the same with access cards. If they work they work why do you need a new one.

Directv does a lot of waste and like to fill landfills. They won't activate anything but ones that meet certain criteria. A receiver that works is a receiver that works. The money they save from reusing leases and ones with balances could be used more productively such as keep our bills down. Its the same with access cards. If they work they work why do you need a new one.

If the access card is of the same generation, I agree, if it's an older gen then , yes it needs to be upgraded.

The STB is pretty old and was purchased off of ebay 4 or 5 years ago, so I doubt DTV will replace it. However, I think I've decided to go with an HD receiver (no DVR) since we already have the HD dish installed, HD programming, and two HDDVR's in other rooms. But after looking on ebay for the H24's it seems that there aren't many non leased boxes so I'll probably just go through Directv. Is there any way to avoid the 2 year extension?

Anything you get from directv is leased as well. No easy way to avoid contract. The only used owned boxes come from directv employee accounts or people that had an owned receiver replaced on protection plan. Owned will fetch about a $100 premium. Do not buy used unless it is clear that directv says it is owned. They will not activate used leased boxes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts