Replacing DVR 625 hard drive

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

revrick

Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
Maine
I own my equipment and have had this 625 for a few years. A couple years ago, the hard drive failed. That time I bought a junker 625 and put in that hard drive.

Well my hard drive failed again, and I really knew that a used hard drive was a bad idea.

So now I am buying a new hard drive, one that is on the list elsewhere in this forum.

When it gets here and installed, will the 625 know that it need to be formatted and do it automatically?

Or will I have to use that back door command (menu,6,3,info,right,left,play, play, recall).

Anything else I should know?

I own my equipment and have had this 625 for a few years. A couple years ago, the hard drive failed. That time I bought a junker 625 and put in that hard drive.

Well my hard drive failed again, and I really knew that a used hard drive was a bad idea.

So now I am buying a new hard drive, one that is on the list elsewhere in this forum.

When it gets here and installed, will the 625 know that it need to be formatted and do it automatically?

Or will I have to use that back door command (menu,6,3,info,right,left,play, play, recall).

Anything else I should know?
Anything else you should know? Yes for the cost of the protection plan DISH would send you a replacement 625 guaranteed to work. Only $6 and you can call and add it after the HD failed.

Any HD whether receiver or computer has to have software loaded onto the HD. Any new/replacement we send has factory loaded software. Once activated the receiver will update all software to the current version. With you purchasing a HD and installing it yourself, that HD does not have any software information on it for the receiver to follow.

Big caveat: I have never done this myself. But my understanding is that the 625's firmware is stored in the same place as it is on non-DVR receivers: an electrically erasable/programmable ROM. The 50x series DVRs had hard drives married to the individual receiver, and it was a PITA to replace the hard drive on those. But with newer DVRs such as the 625, you are supposedly able to drop in an unformatted drive whose model number is known to the firmware, and the receiver formats it for you.

I hope revrick returns with a success story.

I slipped in the hard drive fired it up. The receiver did a "system integrity check", then it put up a message that the hard drive had been corrupted, and all the content needed to be deleted, I pushed "delete". Then the receiver re-started, "acquired satellites", downloaded the guide, and presto, I was up and running! Thanks for replying everyone!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts