Replacing leased receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Amosmoses33

Original poster
Jun 24, 2009
North Georgia
I am wondering something. I currently have 2 hd-dvr, which I am happy with, got them both free somehow at inception, and 2 sd receivers. I am wondering if I can "turn in/return" to directv the sd receivers and replace with ones I buy. Will that save me the $12 (6x2) a month additional tv fee or do they charge you that just because you have that tv hooked up regardless of if you buy it or they lease it to you? Also, I want to replace one of the sd with an hd (non dvr). How does that work? I am already paying for having HD. I am past my two year, so I am not under contract. Hope this isn't too rambling.

Thanks!

If you have a receiver you get charged. Regardless if it's owned or leased, you still get a charge. As for upgrading one to HD you can do it but this will add another 2 years to your contract. It don't matter where you get the receiver, to activate it they'll add a new contract

thanks for the info, not what I wanted to hear of course. amazing, just to change from and sd to and hd, they lock you in. Oh well. I appreciate it. Thanks!

why is that such a deal breaker considering the gear they offer up at subsidized costs? if you like the programming then you aren't leaving anyway right?

They may well replace the sd receiver with an hd one with no out of pocket costs, call and ask. The monthly cost would be the same as it is now. Like Hutch said, it will give you a new two year commitment because it's an upgrade.

why is that such a deal breaker considering the gear they offer up at subsidized costs? if you like the programming then you aren't leaving anyway right?

I wouldn't say its a deal breaker, but if I am providing my own equipment, I don't understand why I would have to get back into a contract. Thats all.
I will holler at em and see what they say. Thanks all!

I wouldn't say its a deal breaker, but if I am providing my own equipment, I don't understand why I would have to get back into a contract. Thats all.
I will holler at em and see what they say. Thanks all!

You have to understand that with DIRECTV,no matter where you get your receiver,whether it is through DTV or from a third party like Amazon or eBay for example,it is still considered a lease. Your receiver is still a leased item,& if it is considered an upgrade,your 24 month contract is extended from the time you had said receiver activated. I know that this upsets a lot of people,but that is Directv's policy. As long as you understand that before hand,it shouldn't be a problem. When I first got DTV,I got just one HD DVR because I thought that that was all I needed. Eventually I upgraded to 3 HD DVR's(HR22-100,HR23-700,& HR24-500) & 2 HD receivers(H24-700 & H25-500) which I "purchased" 3rd party one by one,extending my contract by each receiver that I purchased. But I did this all knowing Directv's policy on "leasing" their equipment & contract extensions. Here's a "fun fact",after you "purchase" your receiver & have it activated,if there is a problem with it,you don't return it to who you "purchased" it from,you return it to DIRECTV for a replacement(& there is no guarantee you'll get the exact same model back in return,unless maybe you are talking about replacing a HR34).

Its all good...I appreciate all the input. I haven't done anything yet so there isnt any surprises...thats why I asked first. Have a great weekend.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)