Repositioning DirecTV Dish or LNB for Home2us?

Grk101

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
Hi, please bear with me as I am really new to this type of stuff.

So the Greek language channels recently moved off of DirecTV to Home2us/GreekTV-America. Apparently you can use your old DirecTV dish and LNB to pick them up on Home2us on SES-1 at 101W. I believe my set up with DirecTV was 2 LNBs, one pointed to 95W for the now unavailable Greek channels and one at 101W for basic American programing. I was told that the LNB at 95W needs to be re-pointed to 101W to pick up the Greek channels. (Dumb question, but why won't the current one at 101W work?)

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get this done? From what I have been told it is a rather easy job, but I have heard different advice on what I need to do. Someone said to just swap out the LNB from 95W to 101W, someone else said to adjust/twist the LNB at 95W to 101W, and another person told me to reposition the satellite dish. Anyone know the most effective and easiest way (especially for a newbie like me) for this to be done and what I would need? The company that is selling the Greek channels quoted me $100 for an installer to come out and do the job. Is that a reasonable price for just a simple reposition?

Any and all suggestions are welcomed. :)

The LNB at 95 is for linear signals and the LNB at 101 is for circular signals. If you switch the LNBs you will no longer get your English programing on 101W since they are different. If you move the dish by changing where it is pointed in the sky you could use it but what ever you do you will end up losing you English programing. You would still need a new receiver form Home2us no matter what you do with the dish.

Moving the dish is the easiest thing to do, you can use dishpointer.com to give you the new elevation, skew and azimuth you need to point to to get a signal. The receiver from Home2us should have a screen to test signal strength to know when you are locked in.

Thanks for that explanation on why the current one at 101w wouldn't work, and thanks for the rest of the info too. Between what you wrote and what others have told me, I think I have a pretty good idea on what needs to be done now. I have canceled my service with DTV, so loosing English-language programing isn't a concern to me. I have ordered two receivers from Home2us, and I think they may be sending out a dual LNB for them. If they don't, will the current switch/splitter on the roof work with my set up, or will I definitely need a dual LNB? I previously had 2 receivers with DTV as well.

I believe that the linear LNB that is on 95W is a single output so that would make splitting the signal a bit difficult. If they are sending a dual LNB use that it will make everything easier. If you have to use the LNB on the dish as is then you could use a 2x4 satellite switch. The only problem would be knowing what polarity you programing is on, if it is "Vertical" then you would plug in the single port LNB into the 13V port on the switch. If it is "Horizontal" then you would use the 18V port on the switch.

Thanks once again for the information. I am sure I can find out the polarity if I call them up and ask. If they send me a dual LNB I will just use that instead to make things easier though.

Last edited:
The DirecTV equipment cannot be used for receiving the Home2US programming. The receivers, dish size and polarity are all not compatible. You will need a complete system including a dish (recommend a 90cm), dual output linear LNBF and receivers.

Too bad Home2US sells outdated equipment with poor feature sets. I would suggest looking at more modern receivers. Check out DVR and multi-room options that support both free to air packages and the Irdeto subscription. An example is the GEOSATpro DVR1100c. Any of the Glorystar multi-room packages can be installed using the Advanced Mode for receiving this programming on SES1 satellite.

The DirecTV equipment cannot be used for receiving the Home2US programming.
If the OP has one of the old Directv World dishes (sounds like they do) the 95W LNB is KU Band and will work for another KU sat...now if they still sub to Directv they probably dont want to move that dish ;)

If the OP has one of the old Directv World dishes (sounds like they do) the 95W LNB is KU Band and will work for another KU sat...now if they still sub to Directv they probably dont want to move that dish ;)

You are right Iceberg. That dish would work. I missed the information in the first post and only noted that they had a two LNBF DirecTV. dish. :eek:

Those subscribers transitioning from DIRECTV Greek service to SES-1 Home2US platform DO NOT need to replace their antennas. Re-pointing of the antenna is not required either. Only, work on the linear and circular LNBF units is required. To receive the Greek programming from SES-1, a new MPEG-4 satellite receiver (IRDETO-embedded and with an authorized smart card from the provider) will be required.

You can contact 1-888-788 3876 for further information on how to get Greek TV

Open-market receivers will not be compatible for this service, including those with CA modules.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)