Request to keep the War Zone open longer

How long should the HD DVD / Blu-ray War Zone be kept open?

• Close the HD DVD / Blu-ray WAR ZONE on 3/31/08.

Votes: 25 43.9%
  • Keep it open until 5/31/08.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Keep it open until the end of the month following whenever the figures top 90:10.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Keep it open indefinitely. It will die off naturally- then close it.

Votes: 23 40.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Since the Blu-ray vs HD DVD s/w sales figures haven't swung over 90:10 and HD DVD titles are supposed to still continue to be released to the end of May (Warner), perhaps this zone should continue a bit longer.

Please take your pick:

Close the HD DVD / Blu-ray WAR ZONE on 3/31/08.

Keep it open until 5/31/08.

Keep it open until the end of the month following whenever the figures top 90:10.

Keep it open indefinitely. It will die off naturally- then close it.

I may continue to post the sales figures after the War Zone closes, but in the Blu-ray forum. I suspect those figures will continue to be published thru the first half of this year, at least.

Note that this poll closes 4/15/08, unless it's archived sooner.

Since the Blu-ray vs HD DVD s/w sales figures haven't swung over 90:10 and HD DVD titles are supposed to still continue to be released to the end of May (Warner), perhaps this zone should continue a bit longer.

Please take your pick:

Close the HD DVD / Blu-ray WAR ZONE on 3/31/08.

Keep it open until 5/31/08.

Keep it open until the end of the month following whenever the figures top 90:10.

Keep it open indefinitely. It will die off naturally- then close it.

I may continue to post the sales figures after the War Zone closes, but in the Blu-ray forum. I suspect those figures will continue to be published thru the first half of this year, at least.

I say go ahead and close it as announced.
The figures for sales would be nice. Particularly if we can get some real numbers (going beyond when HD-DVD sales drop off). Might give us some Idea how Blu-Ray is doing against DVD. Of course at this point its probably 1 % or less of DVD sales.

Last edited:
When you post a poll, the body of text gets "published" first. Then you write up the poll part with options to be selected. So there's always a gap between the thread first appearing and the actual poll questions appearing.

If we can count on any sort of Blu-ray vs DVD comparison figures being reliably published I'm sure I or someone else will start to post them. eproductwars has begun publishing some info- but it would be nice if Nielsen would track it (probably already are) and HMM or somebody publish it each week or month.

It's nice people are voting- but no comments?

Even "Lost" has an end date.

We all did good work here but it's time to put this one in the VHS/Beta file and move on to the next thing.

Adios my amigo!

90:10 will signal the change from the burning black smoke from the fire that is HDDVD going down in flames turning into the white smoke of a fire that has run out of fuel/is being extinguished.

Could draw a parallel between how the studios decided the format war instead of the consumers and the people deciding to close this forum instead of it's participants.

If a thread was just closed in the BD forum with 'take it to the War Zone' there's obviously still a need in some people's eyes.

Unfortunately the people that wander into this forum are more likely to want it to remain open than the general satelliteguys.us popuulation.

My vote is to close it. At this point it is justa place for the HD DVD diehards to attack BD and for the pro BD population to tell them that they are hopelessly biased. Neither of these things has any real point.

My vote is to close it. At this point it is justa place for the HD DVD diehards to attack BD and for the pro BD population to tell them that they are hopelessly biased. Neither of these things has any real point.

I couldn't agree more. The format "war" is over. HD DVD is no longer part of the equation, beyond nostalgia. The only thing left to discuss is the virtues/vices/sustainability of the BD format which can now all take place under the Blu-ray forum.

I couldn't agree more. The format "war" is over. HD DVD is no longer part of the equation, beyond nostalgia. The only thing left to discuss is the virtues/vices/sustainability of the BD format which can now all take place under the Blu-ray forum.
I say keep it open, I have a bad feeling that the Blu-ray forum will turn into blu-ray.com with plenty of cries to ban people for anything BD fanboys disagree with!!! Proof, here in the war zone any article that shows alternitives is instantly attacked as bias, slanted or improperly worded. Even Bill Shill is having concerns.

Does anyone really see that crying going away. I see no reason why those feelings will go away considering its been deeply ingrained in BD fanboys mental makup from day one of the warzone. Sony purchased the victory aided by WB and I accept that but PLEASE don't turn this thing into a junior version of BD.com!

I say keep it open, I have a bad feeling that the Blu-ray forum will turn into blu-ray.com with plenty of cries to ban people for anything BD fanboys disagree with!!! Proof, here in the war zone any article that shows alternitives is instantly attacked as bias, slanted or improperly worded. Even Bill Shill is having concerns.

Does anyone really see that crying going away. I see no reason why those feelings will go away considering its been deeply ingrained in BD fanboys mental makup from day one of the warzone. Sony purchased the victory aided by WB and I accept that but PLEASE don't turn this thing into a junior version of BD.com!

Unless the mods ban someone for improper posts/language, I don't think anyone or anything will stop someone from posting any on-topic opinions they have in any thread in these forums. Of course, any opinion stated opens the poster up to opposing views from other posters. That's just the way it works. If you would like to commiserate with other BD-haters without any opposition, I suggest you find an anti-BD forum or start your own.

Wow. Sudden surge of votes to close on time.

I fear a "too early" closing will just result in the Blu-ray forum becoming a War Zone. The Fat Lady has a long, long aria going on.

Well the truth be told there is just no shutting up tthe fat ladies around here. Why move the date for them.

heck as it si some of the threads here are really appropriate for the BD forum as they don't really discuss HD DVD.

The War is over. Whether we like that or not. There is really no point in arguing about which format is/was better any longer. So what would be the point in keeping the War Zone open?

We can keep the HD DVD forum alive as long as needed. And I see no problem in posting the sales figures in corresponding forums. (Though other than satisfying our curiosity, that would serve no purpose now.)

Personally, I don't see much point in this, but if enough people insist, we can extend the life of this War Zone for some more time...

The problem right now is that no critism of anything is allowed in the other forums. The BD forum needs to be open to the point of people being able to criticize. Like the PS3 critcal article moved to the war zone!

If the mods are tired and site owners sick of the bickering that breaks out regularly in the war zone (I'd completely
understand both parties) - closing this forum for good is the right solution and the right time.

But I think another forum - something like "Movie/Video/Audio formats, media and delivery methods" - that would cover everything from
VHS to DVD to BD to downloads (and everything in between) and how they compare, could host the continuation of some topics in this forum.

Just my $.02

Diogen.

But I think another forum - something like "Movie/Video/Audio formats, media and delivery methods" - that would cover everything from
VHS to DVD to BD to downloads (and everything in between) and how they compare, could host the continuation of some topics in this forum.

Just my $.02

Diogen.

Good idea.

S~

Well, this IS an auspicious occasion....

Navychop and I are in whole hearted agreement on an issue.

Keep it open....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)