Requirements for HDTV Service

jaelae

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 1, 2004
New Jersey
A friend of mine just purchased a 50" Plasma HDTV set which has the Cable card slot. They are still in the stone age and do not currently use a cablebox (just directly connecting from the coax). They are on one of the family plans and I am trying to figure out what they would need to get HDTV programming without adding too much to their plan.

Am I right in saying that they would need:
1 CableCard ($1.25 per month)
and upgrade to iO Basic ($9.95 per month)

in order to view HDTV Programming? This is assuming that you cannot view any HD channels without having the iO digital service and since they have a cablecard tv they won't need the digital cable box. (I understand that the features are much better on the box itself since I have one but this is not necessary to them).

Please let me know if this is correct since they are not thrilled with paying more per month but I explained it is necessary.

they can get the io navigation for $4.95. the card will have to be installed by a tech at 46.95

ahh HBK409 you are always here when I need you.

I have seen iO Navigation but what exactly does that include? Is that pretty much what you need to get the channels 700+ for HDTV? And since that is not iO Basic it would be minus the channels 100-199?

Also, I thought the card just slides in? Or does something have to be configured on the TV for this? Installation fee for a card seems a bit strange.

I read more on iO Navigation and I think I understand. By paying the $4.95 for it - it would allow them to watch the 6 HDTV channels (like WB / NBC/ ABC / etc..) which are the normal channel numbers (correct? 2 4 7 etc)

Then if they wanted the 18 HDTV channels they would need to get iO Basic which will allow them to watch all the channels in the 700's.

jaelae said:
I read more on iO Navigation and I think I understand. By paying the $4.95 for it - it would allow them to watch the 6 HDTV channels (like WB / NBC/ ABC / etc..) which are the normal channel numbers (correct? 2 4 7 etc)

Then if they wanted the 18 HDTV channels they would need to get iO Basic which will allow them to watch all the channels in the 700's.
To get all 18 hd channel you would have to take IO gold. You can't get any premium channels in hd like HBOHD,Showtimehd etc without also subscribing to the equivilant sd channel. The 18 free hd channels they advertise is a little missleading. SO with IO navigation on top of family cable you will get CBS-HD,NBC-HD,FOX-HD,ABC-HD,WB-HD,PBS-HD as well as INHD,ESPN-HD,UniversalHD,YESHD,MSG-HD and FSNYHD. So 12 in HD instead of 18 if you don't go up to io silver or gold. Forgot about the HD-VOD channel as well so you will get 12-13 depending on if you view HD-VOD as a channel.

Actually, when you look on their website it shows that all their HD Channels (excluding the premium channels like HBO and Showtime) are included in the Family Cable package so they wouldn't have to get the iO Package. I don't know if they'll even charge them for the iO Navigation package since they don't have a cable box, but I'm not sure.

Thats the lack of information out there. If you want a digital box or HD box then you have to take IO navigation or higher. That is if he wants a cable box instead of using a cable card. In the cable card case all he would have to do is sub to Family cable.

Have your friend connect the HDTV to the straight cable and do a channel scan. He may be able to get several HD channels without doing anything else. At the least, he should get the locals, since they're supposed to be "in the clear"....

Just to clarify - would the HD channels for ABC/CBS/NBC/WB all be the regular stations? Rather than HD Specific channels?

Also, if the Coax is plugged directly in without the cable card - these channels will work - correct?

jaelae said:
Just to clarify - would the HD channels for ABC/CBS/NBC/WB all be the regular stations? Rather than HD Specific channels?
Both standard definition SD analog and HD digital local broadcast channels. Some of the channel numbers may differ from the cable box channel numbers.

Also, if the Coax is plugged directly in without the cable card - these channels will work - correct?
That's how it works here. YMMV, so you'll just have to connect the coax and do a scan in the TV's setup menu to find out. It certainly won't hurt to try.

WOW, even I'm confused reading this. Let's see if I can clear things up.

Your friend can't get ANY HD channels unless they have a cable card or a HD cable box.

All of the HD channels are broadcast in the channel # range of 700-799. You need a box or card plus any iO package to recieve HD. Example: CBS HD is on 702 so you need a card or HD box to "descramble" it.

With Basic and an iO package your friend will get InHD, HiDefonDemand, and any channels included with Basic which have a counterpart in the 700 channel range. Example: You will get PBS HD but not HBO HD

The same goes for family with an iO package.

The rule also applies if you have an iO package such as iO silver.

If a channel included in your package has a 700 range counterpart and you have a HiDef converter or a cablecard, you will get that channel in HD.

The 2 options for iO package add ons to basic and family are as follows.

$9.95 iO package gives you channels 100-199, the music channels, VOD access and the interactive program guide.

$4.95 iO Navigation gives you VOD access, the interactive program guide and possibly the music channels (but I am not sure about that, I'm not in cust serv).

The cable card does not support the interactive user guide.

If your TV has a HD tuner (QAM) then you do not need an iO package, Cablecard or CV HD box to get the major network channels in HD. They are not sent encrypted or "scrambled." Just connect the cable to the TV and have the tuner scan for channels. For all systems except Litchfield, CT you will get the NY broadcast stations for CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC, WB & PBS. If your TV does not have an HD tuner it also won't have a Cablecard slot so you would need a HD cable box to receive these channels. If you get a HD box from CV then you at least need the $4.95 iO navigation package which includes the guide, music channels and access to On demand.

RemyM said:
If your TV has a HD tuner (QAM) then you do not need an iO package, Cablecard or CV HD box to get the major network channels in HD. They are not sent encrypted or "scrambled." Just connect the cable to the TV and have the tuner scan for channels. For all systems except Litchfield, CT you will get the NY broadcast stations for CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC, WB & PBS. If your TV does not have an HD tuner it also won't have a Cablecard slot so you would need a HD cable box to receive these channels. If you get a HD box from CV then you at least need the $4.95 iO navigation package which includes the guide, music channels and access to On demand.
What minimum package do you need to get the HD channels that come unscrambled? I have my DirecTV HD box which can do HD from cable and wonder if I could use that.

DirecTV receivers cannot be used for digital cable. They don't have QAM tuners, which is what digital cable uses. Most DirecTV HD receivers can receive analog cable channels, but that will soon be a thing of the past, too. The new D* HD receivers (H20) can only receive D* satellite programming and over the air digital channels. NO analog tuners any more.

RemyM said:
. If you get a HD box from CV then you at least need the $4.95 iO navigation package which includes the guide, music channels and access to On demand.

io navigation does NOT include the music channels

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)