Reset an HR21-700 HD DVR w/external HD and all recordings are now gone.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tidalcloud

Sep 11, 2007
I had used approx 60% of a 2TB hard drive. From a reset - all of the records, season passes are gone. Settings are intact and receiver does seem to recognize it is operating off of an external HD. Can anyone provide advice as to what might be happening and what I can do about it?
Thanks.

Tidalcloud said:
I had used approx 60% of a 2TB hard drive. From a reset - all of the records, season passes are gone. Settings are intact and receiver does seem to recognize it is operating off of an external HD. Can anyone provide advice as to what might be happening and what I can do about it?
Thanks.

Kind of lost on what you're asking. Can you clarify?

it's pretty much in the title of the thread and question I asked. All of my recordings, season passes (or what DTV calls them) are gone. I didn't delete them. I reset the receiver and when I returned my playlist was empty.

what kind of reset did you perform? tell us the exact process please.

At present my HR21-700 recognizes the external hard drive but is now showing zero programs recorded to it. Prior to a reboot yesterday I had 38% remaining on a 2TB hard drive. Rebooted to address the app issue and returned to no recordings. Here is what I've done to troubleshoot this so far:

1. Rebooted via red button and unplugging about a half dozen times each.
2. I turned off the external and booted to the internal. The booted again to the external.
3. Tested the external briefly by recording 10 minutes of a program to it. No issues.
4. I turned off the external overnight and unplugged the dvr. In the morning I turned the external back on and then booted the dvr to it.
5. Ran all of the standard diagnostics. All were fine except for LNB Power Test for Sat Tuner 1 = FAIL-0x42. I gather this has nothing to do with lost recordings.
6. Currently about halfway through the Smart Test - Long under advanced.

If this is the external - how would I be able to confirm this? Is there any way to save the recordings? I had quite a few. It seemed to boot too quickly when this happened yesterday for it to have overwritten what amounts to about 1.2TB worth of data. I would think that would take some time. I understood but absolutely dreaded the possibility of losing a large quantity of recordings back when I first added the external but did know what I could do about it.

You simply rebooted from the Red Button ?
Not from the Menu's ?
There is an option thru the Menu that it sounds like was reset, that would be the Reset Everything, which does exactly that.

Have you messed around in the section you spoke of earlier before ?
The Smart test and diagnostics ?

Why ?

I did not reset from the menu. I booted via the red button and by unplugging from the back only.
I ran all of the standard diagnostics. All passed except for LNB Power Test for Sat 1 which failed with the error indicated above. I don't know what that error would cause but I'm guessing it would have nothing to do with recordings.
I ran the advanced diagnostics for the external hard drive. I completed the Smart Test - Long with no issues found. I am currently running the surface scan overnight.
What else could this be? How else would I be able to know if the external hard drive was bad?

Are you certain you are seeing the external hd? Try recording something, then disconnect it and reboot. Is it still there? If it is, you were looking at the internal this whole time.

My understanding is that if you push the red button your encryption keys get reset. So, while your recordings are still on the external media, the keys used to lock them up are no longer valid. In short, your recordings are gone.

My understanding is that if you push the red button your encryption keys get reset. So, while your recordings are still on the external media, the keys used to lock them up are no longer valid. In short, your recordings are gone.

I've never heard that before. Anyone else familiar with that?

raoul5788 said:

I haven't heard that before either. My understanding is you're strictly resetting the receiver NOT the EHD

I haven't heard that before either. My understanding is you're strictly resetting the receiver NOT the EHD

I too have never heard of that ...

I havent heard it like that but it could be... because i do know you can not move the hard drive to another dvr, it will not read the recording

I too have never heard of that ...
I've never done it but have heard if you hold the red button in it will reset the receiver and wipe the dvr clean.

HIFI said:
I've never done it but have heard if you hold the red button in it will reset the receiver and wipe the dvr clean.

Just for giggles I tried on one of mine. Just had spongebob for the kid, held it for about 5-7 seconds and everything was still there now long do you hold it?

HIFI said:
Been told to hold it in until the receiver kicks back on. Again, I've never had the need to do it just heard others talk about it.

I'll try it and let everybody know the results :)

Hello Everyone,

I have an external hard drive. About resetting the DVR using the Red Button Reset (RBR) method or even removing the power from the DVR (I have been forced to do both in the past without losing any recorded materials on an external hard drive). Not seeing the external hard drive brings one thought to mind. The eSATA cable could be loose or possibly has gone bad between the DVR and the external hard drive or even the connectors internal to the external hard drive and or the DVR. Voila no way to see the recordings on the external hard drive. Everything appears good but you see nothing from the external hard drive. :drama:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)