Resolution nightmare

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hendrickx

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
I have an old TV (Sanyo HT32744) -- When I run 480 from my box to it, I'm good -- 16:9 programs have the black bars at top and bottom, and 4:3 programs fill the screen. If I enable 720p or 1080i, my tv fills the screen with every picture, distorting things.

Is there a fix I can use to run the higher resolutions without resorting to changing the TV settings whenever I flip channels? CS hasn't found one yet.

Thanks!

According to the owners manual that I found online, if your using the component connectins (red yellow white) it will only support 480i.

Make sure you are using the YPbPr connection (Red Blue Green). Or eliminate that question and use and HDMI cable.

The manual also states that max resolution is 1080i. Make sure your also not trying to look at a 1080p signal. It wont decipher it.

I would go into the settings of the box (not the tv) and select viewing methods of 480p 720i and 1080i and then try and see if it can view the other formats. If it is still unable to view those formats using an HDMI cable or the YPbPr, then there is a possibility the box you got is not sending the correct signals.

I'm using HDMI (was aware of the limitations of component) and am using 1080i on the box, it's like the box is auto-zooming in on a widescreen picture instead of letterboxing it. I'm running an 8300HDC, 4:3, Normal with all resolutions on. My issue is programs broadcast in 16:9 get smooshed or cut off.

I may have found the problem: The 8300HDC manual specifically references 480 as filling a 4:3 screen and 720/1080 as filling a 16:9. (sigh) time to call CS again and argue the point.

Goto I think TNT HD and also check out PBS HD. If I remember correctly, TNT HD will fill the whole screen. I think PBS HD will do it also. I cant remember. Been awhile since I played with those boxes.

However, it is true, not all HD channels will fill a 16:9 tv. Some will but not all of them.

I completely miss-read your original post. Sorry. I read as not displaying at all. Again sorry. However the above statement that not all channels will fill the screen is valid.

I'm on a 4:3 screen, but it's the same on either shape. I had (mistakenly) assumed that the box would add the letterboxing as necessary on channels that need it (since I get that effect on 480 modes) -- apparently I'm expecting too much per the brighthouse tech.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)