Resolutions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PROF4NE

Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Livonia, MI
Probably has been asked numerous times and I've searched but haven't came up with anything concrete, so, I'm gonna ask myself. I just bought a new 46" 1080p TV and I cannot for the life of me get my Genie to output at 1080p. It says my TV supports it but not one single channel is showing up in 1080p, only 1080i. Why is this? I know not all stations are 1080p but I find it hard to believe that not one single channel supports it.

No one anywhere offers 1080p broadcast or via regular satellite channels.

As chip says, no-one has 1080p broadcasts, either OTA or via satellite/cable. Some on demand/PPV channels only. I suspect there may never be 1080p/60 channels, the marginal improvement over 1080i is not worth the bandwidth.

You see, I thought the entire time that only a few channels didn't broadcast at full HD, it's only with DirecTV did I start questioning it when the light for 1080p wouldn't pop on. Oh well, my Hockey games still look great anyways. Thanks for the info though, guys. I can now rest my mind.

Honestly I'm surprised none of the key movie channels like HBO have pushed providers to do 1080p broadcast yet.

You see, I thought the entire time that only a few channels didn't broadcast at full HD, it's only with DirecTV did I start questioning it when the light for 1080p wouldn't pop on. Oh well, my Hockey games still look great anyways. Thanks for the info though, guys. I can now rest my mind.
"Full HD" is a marketing term, meaningless....

Honestly I'm surprised none of the key movie channels like HBO have pushed providers to do 1080p broadcast yet.

Since movies, with the exception of the hi scan rate versions of a few recent titles like The Hobbitt, are filmed at 24fps, there's no real advantage in using 1080p. A 1080i signal contains all the information that would be in 1080p/24, and 1080p/60 does not add anything. IMHO the 1080p/24 used by DirecTv is mainly a marketing gimmick. If you watch the movie in 1080i, you probably can't tell the difference.

Since movies, with the exception of the hi scan rate versions of a few recent titles like The Hobbitt, are filmed at 24fps, there's no real advantage in using 1080p. A 1080i signal contains all the information that would be in 1080p/24, and 1080p/60 does not add anything. IMHO the 1080p/24 used by DirecTv is mainly a marketing gimmick. If you watch the movie in 1080i, you probably can't tell the difference.

Still not getting this one entirely right eh? You continue to make this blanket statement leaving out one important thing, framerate handling. Just because their is no perceived resolution benefit to 1080i/60 vs 1080p 60, you can just glaze over 24fps and how many tv's handle it (which you constantly do).

Any display that properly handles 24hz (120hz LCD or a 72/96hz plasma) will offer a more film like image with pans and motion vs something in 1080p/60 or 1080i/60. This is where Directvs 1080p/24 is useful. You tasted one pc of candy in a variety pack, and deemed the whole pack bad.

Are some people oblivious to pulldown judder? Sure, but that doesnt mean everyone is. I'll talk 1080p/24 over 1080p/60 and 1080i/60 on my display any day.

Long story short, if you watch the same movie at 1080i/60, 1080p/60 and 1080p/24, I do agree you may not notice any resolution improvements, but, the motion handling has a chance to be much better on pans and action scenes.

For the record, Im only referring to video shot at 24fps. This is where you just cant make blanket statements like "1080p wont look any better than 1080i". Thats just not always true. Since nothing is done in 1080i/24, AFAIK, it means that in many cases 1080p/24 can be superior to 1080i/60 and 1080p/60 depending on your equipment.

You keep attacking this strictly from resolution benefits, when there is more to video processing and playback between display devices. I can set my Oppo to display a Blu-ray at 1080i/60, 1080p/60 and 1080p/24. 1080p/24 obviously wins with my particular display, because of video processing of 24fps sources.

Last edited:
OK, first let me agree with you somewhat modify the statement a little. On any TV with a scan rate of less than a multiple of 24fps (such as 120, as you state) there is no value in 1080p/24. On 120hz Tvs, pulldown judder (which as you say many/most people can't detect anyway, it's been around for ever)) is eliminated on a 24fps signal. But you will still get motion judder/breakup because the source is still 24fps. And funnily enough, pulldown judder has the effect of covering up some of the effects of motion judder. Here's an article (old but still relevant) talking about it http://www.projectorcentral.com/judder_24p.htm

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts