Response from E* on TBS HD

Last sentece of the rule.

NOTE: The catcher, without the ball in his possession, has no right to block the pathway of the runner attempting to score. The base line belongs to the runner and the catcher should be there only when he is fielding a ball or when he already has the ball in his hand.

Last sentece of the rule.

NOTE: The catcher, without the ball in his possession, has no right to block the pathway of the runner attempting to score. The base line belongs to the runner and the catcher should be there only when he is fielding a ball or when he already has the ball in his hand.

He missfielded the ball, hence obstruction. Applies to any fielder. If the runner runs into him before he catches the ball, it it highly unlikely the ump will need to call obstruction. :D The catcher will be spralled out on the ground. The Rockies player shouldn't have slid, especially head first. When they see the catcher is blocking the plate they should take them out. I think it might stop the blocking. A broken foot, ankle, leg to the Padre's catcher would make him think twice next time. And guess what, the fans would love it. They sure loved it when Rose ended that catcher's career.

Last edited:
He missedfielded the ball, hence obstruction. Applies to any fielder. If the runner runs into him before he catches the ball, it it highly unlikely the ump will need to call obstruction. :D The catcher will be spralled out on the ground. The Rockies player shouldn't have slid, especially head first.

He was in the act of catching and tagging the runner. For obstruction to be called the ball would need to be elsewhere. As in nowhere near the plate or catcher. He does NOT have to catch and hold on to the ball in order to prevent obstruction being called.

Your kidding right. IF I'm lying on top of the plate, all I need to do is touch the throw coming to me and it is ok- not. I have to have control of the ball. Once you lose control of the ball (in this case never had control) and are blocking the base, it is obstruction.

OK, how about taking the baseball to a new thread or PM's, this discussion right now is a foul ball.

I know the moderators on this site allow conversations to go off topic unlike other sites, but, I think 3 pages of baseball talk is waaaaaay off subject. Where are moderators when you need them. It's kinda like shopping at Home Depot. Please keep on topic.

He fielded the ball poorly. It is an error, but he has the right to be there.

No he doesn't. He has no right to be in the base path without the ball. Also I believe fielding a ball consists of catching a batted ball, not a thrown ball. While he is trying to catch a throw or getting a ball he has fumbled and in the basepath, he's fair game for the runner and obstructing his way.

I thought this thread was about watching baseball in HD. Since we can't, what's wrong with discussing it while we wait.

Last edited:
I agree with the "fair game" aspect, dishlover. I don't like home plate collisions — I don't think they are good for the game — but the catcher can be run over in MLB, just like he can be there in the first place. You are also right about the use of "fielding". He was catching a throw and lost it while trying to apply a tag. The results were the same, but the terminology was incorrect.

I also agree with spending pages of this thread discussing the game and demonstrating our desire to see the playoffs in HD.

No he doesn't. He has no right to be in the base path without the ball. Also I believe fielding a ball consists of catching a batted ball, not a thrown ball. While he is trying to catch a throw or getting a ball he has fumbled and in the basepath, he's fair game for the runner and obstructing his way.

I thought this thread was about watching baseball in HD. Since we can't, what's wrong with discussing it while we wait.

From the rulebook...

OBSTRUCTION is the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball and not in the act of fielding the ball, impedes the progress of any runner.
Rule 2.00 (Obstruction) Comment: If a fielder is about to receive a thrown ball and if the ball is in flight directly toward and near enough to the fielder so he must occupy his position to receive the ball he may be considered “in the act of fielding a ball.” It is entirely up to the judgment of the umpire as to whether a fielder is in the act of fielding a ball.

so, Dish is the only major provider that does NOT carry it???
that sux!

It's especially ironic for me. I left TWC about 3 weeks ago because they dragged their feet with HD additions-- especially HD sports programming. Not 2 days after I had Dish installed, TWC announced that they were adding TBS-HD for the playoffs. Maybe I'm bad luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)