Retrofit DirecTV dish for OrbyTV?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

manowell

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2018
Dallas, TX
I'm trying out the basic OrbtyTV dish and DVR receiver, liking what I see so far for the price and lack of contract required.

I have a bunch of DirecTV stuff now that's surplus, as I transition is there a LNB that works well with Orby that will fit the rectangular end of a DirecTV LNB arm, and is the slightly different oval dish any concern? I understand the dish would need to be re-pointed.

I have a tripod DirecTV dish and I travel with in RV, use it when out of LTE cell range. Have pretty good experience with setting up and aligning dishes since the C band days....

Very do-able, there's a few threads in the FTA section about re purposing old slimline dishes and Orby dishes are basically Ku band FTA dishes. I got a Maverick standard linear KU band LNBF and a bracket off ebay, just measured/marked everything with the old LNBF in place before I placed the bracket. I also rattle canned the DirecTV logo off this morning lol

Attachments

• IMG_20200823_125753.jpg
    IMG_20200823_125753.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 362
Or if you don't mind spending a bit more and while supplies last from some distributors like S.S. here ....

You can forget about retrofitting a DIRECTV Slimline and just use their old (and now obsolete) 95W World Direct dish and LNBF.

Works exactly the same as an original Orby dish. ....

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Reactions: EmCommSat
I'm trying out the basic OrbtyTV dish and DVR receiver, liking what I see so far for the price and lack of contract required.

I have a bunch of DirecTV stuff now that's surplus, as I transition is there a LNB that works well with Orby that will fit the rectangular end of a DirecTV LNB arm, and is the slightly different oval dish any concern? I understand the dish would need to be re-pointed.

I have a tripod DirecTV dish and I travel with in RV, use it when out of LTE cell range. Have pretty good experience with setting up and aligning dishes since the C band days....

I took the reflector and LNB and mounting arm off my DirecTV dish mount. Then mounted the reflector , LNB and mounting arm provided with the Orby install kit right on the (nicely adjustable) DirecTV mount. Everything was a bolt on replacement except for maybe having to drill out the mounting arm holes. The Orby mount was a lot flimsier than the DirecTV mount and lacked the fine adjust positioning screws which made it impossible for me to get a good enough Orby signal. The DirecTV mount adjustments are a dream and I had it dialed in in no time.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Very do-able, there's a few threads in the FTA section about re purposing old slimline dishes and Orby dishes are basically Ku band FTA dishes. I got a Maverick standard linear KU band LNBF and a bracket off ebay, just measured/marked everything with the old LNBF in place before I placed the bracket. I also rattle canned the DirecTV logo off this morning lol
Same here but still has the logo yet, needs a good paint job! :rolleyes
Mounted it on the pole above my motorized Fortec Star 90cm. :)

IMG_6285S.JPG

Reactions: mr_rye89
... on the (nicely adjustable) DirecTV mount. Everything was a bolt on replacement except for maybe having to drill out the mounting arm holes. The Orby mount was a lot flimsier than the DirecTV mount and lacked the fine adjust positioning screws which made it impossible for me to get a good enough Orby signal. The DirecTV mount adjustments are a dream and I had it dialed in in no time.

Yeah, the heavier DTV adjustment head with screw jack fine tuning was really what I was wanting to keep. Any change in performance from with Orby reflector to the DTv reflector?

Or if you don't mind spending a bit more and while supplies last from some distributors like S.S. here ....

You can forget about retrofitting a DIRECTV Slimline and just use their old (and now obsolete) 95W World Direct dish and LNBF.

Works exactly the same as an original Orby dish. ....

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

That's a significantly larger reflector than the Orby supplied dish. Does it boost signal, as well?

I took the reflector and LNB and mounting arm off my DirecTV dish mount. Then mounted the reflector , LNB and mounting arm provided with the Orby install kit right on the (nicely adjustable) DirecTV mount. Everything was a bolt on replacement except for maybe having to drill out the mounting arm holes. The Orby mount was a lot flimsier than the DirecTV mount and lacked the fine adjust positioning screws which made it impossible for me to get a good enough Orby signal. The DirecTV mount adjustments are a dream and I had it dialed in in no time.

I've tried lining these up, and no good at all. I have the DirecTV slimline HD mount with the fine adjusting screws. The three holes to rotate for skew on it are upside down (two on top, one on bottom) from the Orby bracket.

I got one of the DirecTV Worldview dishes from SolidSignal, same issue. No possible way they're bolting together.

Very do-able, there's a few threads in the FTA section about re purposing old slimline dishes and Orby dishes are basically Ku band FTA dishes....

I found two threads, "Directv Slimline for FTA" and "Dishes to re-purpose", nothing really applicable. Saw a note from one user that mentions his modded Slimline, I'm reaching out to him.

I've either missed or forgotten it if it's been posted, but has anyone used a Dish 1000.2 or .4, with an appropriate LNB of course, for Orby? I don't know of any reason they wouldn't work, just curious...

Have been using one dish of my 8-dish FTA farm as Orby dish for it for awhile, (distant background you can see part of it) but wanted FTA back before winter. I had to bypass the switching and run a straight line to one of the dishes for Orby so no FTA in awhile now. Now have a strong signal on a former DTN dish, and never had to change the LNB polarity....couldn't remember if DTN was horizontal or veritical, but it worked out fine. "Roof" mount used on my not-used sidewalk and will add the blocks for stability but the signal's GREAT! The satellite spectrum box from Titanium has been a great tool..even though I don't get to use it as much as I'd like. Hopefully full FTA tuneup before winter, no motors running at present so it'll be "aim and leave" for the winter before redesigning a system for that. Recycled dish seems fine here!
20201028_133035_HDR.jpg20201028_132811_HDR.jpg

I ended up using an old 4' Primestar dish.
I would love to find one of those. I grew up in a small town, and they were everywhere 15-20 years ago! The local DirecTV contractor had a pile of them when they converted them all over. The only one I’ve seen lately is on top of a 2-story house!

Reactions: Skyscanner
The dish I'm using is from the DTN service, but I believe it's "Channel Master" and you'll find similar dishes sometimes abandoned at closed businesses which are listed for sale. You can always call whomever lists if you see one that can be safely removed...and these DTN/CM dishes are darn durable, (heavy) and have very nice skew adjustments. I've liked them for FTA and have really liked the result with Orby. If too much work, no biggy, just an idea being thrown "out there"...You may even find a farm in your travels that has a DTN dish (common)..and ask...they may not be using it anymore...I've learned...it NEVER hurts to ask where dishes are concerned.

i am using a dtv world direct dish with a circular lnb and a linear lnb and having no luck tuning in 117.should i take the circular lnb off and mount the linear in the middle of the arm?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)