Return of Equipment

The Stone Man said:
I finally realized the true benefit of having purchased the STB. No need to deal with whatever return policy they invent. That's gotta be worth something.

If you purchased the equipment, I would hang on to it for a while. These boxes can be used again if another service is started by C. Dolan, or some other entity. After all these boxes can be upgraded to MPEG 4 and the software can be re-loaded to accommodate a different service as well. I am not saying that another service is even being thought about right now... but you never know.

If there is a big push to get back every single leased receiver, then that would lead me to believe that something somewhere may be being considered!

Just my $0.02 cents worth

jbphoenix said:
If you purchased the equipment, I would hang on to it for a while. These boxes can be used again if another service is started by C. Dolan, or some other entity. After all these boxes can be upgraded to MPEG 4 and the software can be re-loaded to accommodate a different service as well. I am not saying that another service is even being thought about right now... but you never know.

If there is a big push to get back every single leased receiver, then that would lead me to believe that something somewhere may be being considered!

Just my $0.02 cents worth
Except they have been promising MPEG-4 since early last year. I doudbt they even worked on it.

The CSR I spoke with last night indicated they might send pre-paid boxes to us to send the receivers back

They can come and take my equipment back. They can take the dish also. They also can pay to repair my roof since they bolted it in the middle of my roof through the shingles. They aren't gonna leave holes!

I can almost bet the only thing they are going to want back is the recievers and remotes. that is all they wanted back from a de-installs. But i could be wrong.

t

HDwonderer said:
I use the dish as a transceiver for my wireless computer network. And then set it up for a transceiver for my cell phone too. I don't know if I can post the link with setup information here (FCC and all)

Well, if you have to think about the "FCC and all" then what you are doing is illegal. Since you have yet to "find the range" of your little internet set up then you are not using a Part 15 device and are operating illegally. Also illegal is patching your neighbors in for $5/mo. Let alone illegalities at the federal level your operation is likely illegal on the state and local level.

You really should watch what you say on public forums. You don't know who is reading these posts. I do know that the FCC does read sites like these. You have basically told them what you are doing and you location is posted on your message.

As the above mentioned post suggests doing something illegal should't it be deleted by the moderators?

As I've posted in other threads, if I wasn't authorized/qualified to do the install, I'm not authorized/qualified to do the de-install.
And they can call and schedule a time with me to come get the stuff, including the dish, at some time when I can fit them in. Most likely it will be a Saturday morning.

Lob

TYORK said:
I can almost bet the only thing they are going to want back is the recievers and remotes. that is all they wanted back from a de-installs. But i could be wrong.

t

TYORK,

If we get to keep the dish, can it be used for another service?. I mean by swapping the LNB with say D* LNB and re-aiming the dish? If there anything about the geometry of the dish that would prevent this?

I got a 24" dish and it really worked well when it was raining, so it would be a shame it it can't replace an 18" D*.

Maybe a dumb question?

MichaelG said:
TYORK,

If we get to keep the dish, can it be used for another service?. I mean by swapping the LNB with say D* LNB and re-aiming the dish? If there anything about the geometry of the dish that would prevent this?

I got a 24" dish and it really worked well when it was raining, so it would be a shame it it can't replace an 18" D*.

Maybe a dumb question?

yep it can be used to d* if you reaim it. they only thing is you would only hit 1 sat. with it you would not get be able to get hd with it cause you have to hit the other sat to get the hd.

t

TYORK said:
yep it can be used to d* if you reaim it. they only thing is you would only hit 1 sat. with it you would not get be able to get hd with it cause you have to hit the other sat to get the hd.

t

Ok, how about if you have a D* 3LNB "oval" dish? Can you stick that LNB array on the end of the 24" dish arm, re-aim and get all 3 birds?

Thanks for your reply. Though this is the first time that you have assisted me directly, I learned a lot from reading your other posts. Much appreciated.

MichaelG said:
Ok, how about if you have a D* 3LNB "oval" dish? Can you stick that LNB array on the end of the 24" dish arm, re-aim and get all 3 birds?

Thanks for your reply. Though this is the first time that you have assisted me directly, I learned a lot from reading your other posts. Much appreciated.

you are welcome.
no you can't do that cause the dish for D* has to be tilt to the left and you can not tilt the 24 in dish

tyork

Since Voom insist on "No Self Installs" . Why don't you people who lease the equipment, charge Voom $149 if you have to uninstall it yourself. Or tell Voom to come and uninstall it themselves, when they can catch you at home.

two questions:

1. If they don't ask for the boxes back, could they be used for d* or e* service somehow?

2. If they do ask for the boxes back, but not the dish and antenna, can you just run the coax into the back of an hdtv with built in tuner and receive all ota?

No...you can't just "run the cable". The antenna they use in most cases is a powered antenna, and the signal runs through diplexors up at the dish and down at the back of your VOOM box.

You can run a line straight from the antenna to your tuner and probably get some or all of your locals, depending on where you live.

Lob

voomvoom said:
Since Voom insist on "No Self Installs" . Why don't you people who lease the equipment, charge Voom $149 if you have to uninstall it yourself. Or tell Voom to come and uninstall it themselves, when they can catch you at home.

They didn't charge me, I wouldn't charge them. But I'm not doing their work for them. They can arrange a pickup time that's convenient for me, which is basically after 6pm on weekdays, and between 8-12pm on Saturdays.
And as I've said before...bring a ladder.

Lob

TYORK said:
you are welcome.
no you can't do that cause the dish for D* has to be tilt to the left and you can not tilt the 24 in dish

tyork
Not true you can still use it even on a 18 inch dish.
Example pics below with E* using pipe clamps, tape or rubber bands with a wedge etc.

Attachments

• Clamps1.JPG
    Clamps1.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 226
  • Clamps2.JPG
    Clamps2.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 215
  • adish2.JPG
    adish2.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 208
  • 0003.JPG
    0003.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 248
Lobstah said:
No...you can't just "run the cable". The antenna they use in most cases is a powered antenna, and the signal runs through diplexors up at the dish and down at the back of your VOOM box.

You can run a line straight from the antenna to your tuner and probably get some or all of your locals, depending on where you live.

Lob
don't belittle my wording choice lob. i said coax anyways. so if i were wanting to use the antenna, i would have to bypass the diplexer? is this correct?

Here what we should do with our soon to be paperweights. Someone can find and post Jimmy Dolan's home address. Then all of us can ship our dead VoOm receivers to little Jimmy house. :D :D :D

d151b said:
don't belittle my wording choice lob. i said coax anyways. so if i were wanting to use the antenna, i would have to bypass the diplexer? is this correct?

Wasn't belittling anything...was just trying to explain it.
And yes, you would have to bypass BOTH diplexors...the one at your dish, and the one on the back of your VOOM box :)

Lob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)