Review: Azbox Elite HD FTA Receiver

I herd that there was however if you say no I stand corrected. I have been screwed enough times on Fleabay that I won't go there anymore. To each his own.

Todd

After doing a few beta test on the unit, Fortec felt the PASSION is not ready for the NA market. They have decided not to bring it in half a** and have problems with it not performing as desired. So, I agree with their decision, if a receiver is not ready, why introduce it?

From what I heard it was due to not being able to get the 4:2:2 part working so they scrapped it...or was it they ran out of money (I forget)

Many have bought from the EBay dealer, and all has been good. :)

Bought mine from the guy in Florida on the Sunday before Labor Day
Tuesday got my notification it was shipped
was in my hot little hands on Thursday

I'll say I'm happy :)

And why would I pay $100 bucks more from someone who says "there are no clones" when he's wrong and may stand behind the product for a while but will leave you out in the cold if something goes bad say a year down the road.

Yup the chipset maker was supposed to give Fortec a driver needed to make 4:2:2 work and for some reason did not give them that driver.

Fortec was trying to write their own but do to $$$ issues pulled back on the project.

I still use my Fortec Mercury II receiver but have my AZbox slaved off of it for the best of both worlds. :)

Mine also was from ebay as mentioned before... works great, why pay more?

I just figured that if it breaks it's just as broken no matter who I buy it from. Besides, odds are exceptionally slim that it would break. And even beside that point, if it did there would probably be something else out at least as good as this now with a few new features.

Bought mine from the guy in Florida on the Sunday before Labor Day
Tuesday got my notification it was shipped
was in my hot little hands on Thursday

I'll say I'm happy :)

And why would I pay $100 bucks more from someone who says "there are no clones" when he's wrong and may stand behind the product for a while but will leave you out in the cold if something goes bad say a year down the road.

I got mine off of ebay also but I was disappointed that I didn't get an invoice or sales receipt with the product.

I just figured that if it breaks it's just as broken no matter who I buy it from. Besides, odds are exceptionally slim that it would break. And even beside that point, if it did there would probably be something else out at least as good as this now with a few new features.

Yeah but who wants to be buying a new receiver or new computer or whatever every year? They should make these receivers scalable so that they can be upgraded (at least for a few years).

That extra year or so might nearly double the cost and lose the price advantage of expandability. In the 2nd year when other manufacturers come out with shiny new receivers with the latest whizbang feature the expandable receiver is suddenly left out because it doesn't have the hardware decoder for the new feature, even if you did replace the tuner.

While I would prefer to have an HD receiver loaded with FPGAs so the tuner, demodulator, decoder could all be upgraded for new modulation types and codecs, the receiver would cost about $3000 in parts, nevermind development costs. Oh and ongoing support to update the code for those FPGAs. :(

So really once the newer units hit their volume pricing (think the eBay deal versus first importer premium) you can upgrade, recoup a bit from the older receiver and the annual upgrade cycle is probably about $200-$300. Not bad for a hobby you spend a lot of time on. Some people spend more than that going to one football game, or going to a race, buying a new cell phone, etc.

The dream of a receiver that does it all is getting closer by the day! And once it is here, there will be an even better receiver out a few weeks after you buy it. :rolleyes:

stereo

Was wondering if anyone has ever gotten their AZbox to output stereo audio (using the rca jacks or scart) I have been unable to and just get a mixture of both audio channels on both- AMG TV whihconly has audio on one channel has it ontwo is the most obvious example, the tests on ABC where they say left right center etc are also the same.

I'm intrigued by this box but I have a few questions that I can't find answers to. First, does this thing have the ability to pull EPG data from external sources like Schedules Direct?

Also since it's able to connect to a network, can you remote into it and control it? to like program new transponders or make it move a dish around and scan a bird?

And where on earth can you buy one of these things reliably in the US? That comes with a DVB-S card, not the ATSC card, and if I wanted to buy another DVB-S card or the ATSC card, where do I get that from?

And this thing runs in linux right? What is it's base program? VDR? Myth? or something completely different?

Thanks!

I'm intrigued by this box but I have a few questions that I can't find answers to. First, does this thing have the ability to pull EPG data from external sources like Schedules Direct?

Also since it's able to connect to a network, can you remote into it and control it? to like program new transponders or make it move a dish around and scan a bird?

And where on earth can you buy one of these things reliably in the US? That comes with a DVB-S card, not the ATSC card, and if I wanted to buy another DVB-S card or the ATSC card, where do I get that from?

And this thing runs in linux right? What is it's base program? VDR? Myth? or something completely different?

Thanks!

In order:

1) No. There is no EPG for FTA in N.America.

2) No. I suppose you could say that you can edit transponders and stuff VIA Ethernet, but you must do it VIA the channel editor. There is no scanning with the editor, gotta do it with the remote. No signing in and moving a dish around or anything like that.

3) Ebay is full of them. Miami or New Jersey are good places. It comes with a combo DVB/DVB-S2 tuner and a free slot for another tuner. There are no ATSC tuners available as far as I know at this time.

4) I don't know, I am user, not a programmer. Maybe someone can tell you more. :)

2) I seem to remember reading somewhere that there was indeed a network control program for it. Maybe on Rick's site. I don't know how many functions it includes though.

4) It runs Linux, but not only doesn't it run one of the public Linux HTPC apps, I've seen someone say that it doesn't even use the standard Linux DVB API. (This last item is a rather stupid design decision if true, but I guess not being able to do your own software integration is the price you pay for not HAVING TO do your own software integration. SOMEBODY must have a development kit for it though, because there are various "plugin" programs available, albeit all aimed at Europeans or pirates or both.)

2) I seem to remember reading somewhere that there was indeed a network control program for it. Maybe on Rick's site. I don't know how many functions it includes though.

Yeah there is, just one problem. Doesn't work too well. I wouldn't suggest it to my best friend. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)