Review: Azbox Elite HD FTA Receiver

Well, basically here is the setup. I only have Paint for a diagram on this PC.

Azbox to 8x1 diseqc 1.1 switch
Port 1 of 8x1 switch goes to a 4x1 diseqc (which then is hooked to LNBs')
Other ports of 8x1 go directly to some LNB's.

In the azbox, I have my switching set as COMBINATION then the order is set as UNCOMITTED, COMITTED
Thanks for the explanation!:)

has anyone got internal hard drive working in the az Premium ?
put it in and got it to see it showed 465g. acts like it was working but not. even showed at one point it had used a few mg50. but would not play or even show up in the recorded program list.
so i took the hd out put it in a usb box and it recorded and played a less than 2 min. test. with no change to the hd it is formated to fat 32.
when i put it inside last night it did not like me asking it about the storage at first (showed nothing) but after i hit the format button it showed up. it would acted like it was recording but would not stop or respond to the remote,did the hold the power rebot (only function on the remote that seemed to work).
and it would come back with the red lite on the front still on. had to do a back flip off to get that to go off.
running firmware 2238.
what is the hdd delay(i think that's what it said) at the bottom of the storage list
?
heck this is why i bought the Premium.

one other question anyone able to save the channel list to a usb stick ? and reload.
thanks alot
for reading

Last edited:
Just got my AzBox Elite yesterday.

Had some trouble initially as the cable that connects the front panel buttons and display to the main board had partially disconnected. Thought I had a DOA but I didn't freak out before checking internally.

Maaaaaaaaan, what a thing of BEAUTY! :eek: If you haven't got one of these boxes yet, GET ONE! The picture quality on the S2 HD feeds is AMAZING! No problem locking the 9/10 fec's with a 7.5' mesh either.

I don't know why I held off on getting this box after. It's way cool! :up:up:up

Can you measure bitrate of the mux, ie all channels on same tp ?

No. Only box I saw that does that is the Vantage. But I don't recommend it like I do the Azbox. Vantage just has too many problems and quirkiness.;)

Just got my AzBox Elite yesterday.

Had some trouble initially as the cable that connects the front panel buttons and display to the main board had partially disconnected. Thought I had a DOA but I didn't freak out before checking internally.

Maaaaaaaaan, what a thing of BEAUTY! :eek: If you haven't got one of these boxes yet, GET ONE! The picture quality on the S2 HD feeds is AMAZING! No problem locking the 9/10 fec's with a 7.5' mesh either.

I don't know why I held off on getting this box after. It's way cool! :up:up:up

Yeah its nice, but its not all blue skies and green lights...remember that. There will be some times that you will get gray hair from it, and if you have no hair, you'll wish you did so you'll have something to pull out. If you smoke, you'll smoke more, and if you don't, and you have a tendency to take up destructive behavior, you just might start....:D

Just kidding, its a nice box, but not without its quirks. I STILL DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS BOX IF YOU ARE NEW TO FTA. Get something else to learn with, and when you have the basics down get yourself an Azbox.

The Azbox is certainly better than my old Pansat 300A. I don't know how I lived without something like this. That said, I'm glad I'm smart enough to operate this electronic hardware. Now all I need to do is replace my hail/wind damaged antenna and I'll really be happy. :)

Believe me if it was available it would be all over this forum with bunch of owners raving about it.

Till then use another box to blindscan

Whaaat?? And spend even more money? I suppose I could cough up another $300+ for the Pansat 9200 but I think I'll wait awhile. ;)

Don't hold your breath. :)
I do not think the existing Tuner can do it, maybe an updated Tuner Card, who knows.

I would have thought it would involve a firmware upgrade instead of a tuner. Seems more like a software issue but it could be a combo hardware/software issue.

Don't hold your breath. :)
I do not think the existing Tuner can do it, maybe an updated Tuner Card, who knows.
I have read the same thing on the european forums,they say a software blind scan would take a long time on each sat and it is not worth the effort to do it,but later they may release another tuner that can do it.So if they release one it will be way after it is out of beta,it is not a priority for them,because most hackers in europe do not care about blind scan.

Anyone got the PVR working ?

Has anyone got the PVR working on it ?

I like the internet feature.

I think shows will be moving to the internet.

There does not seem to as much on FTA as there use to be.

-

Last edited:
moved to the azbox-hd-premium thread

has anyone got internal hard drive working in the az Premium ?
put it in and got it to see it showed 465g. acts like it was working but not. even showed at one point it had used a few mg50. but would not play or even show up in the recorded program list.
so i took the hd out put it in a usb box and it recorded and played a less than 2 min. test. with no change to the hd it is formated to fat 32.
when i put it inside last night it did not like me asking it about the storage at first (showed nothing) but after i hit the format button it showed up. it would acted like it was recording but would not stop or respond to the remote,did the hold the power rebot (only function on the remote that seemed to work).
and it would come back with the red lite on the front still on. had to do a back flip off to get that to go off.
running firmware 2238.
what is the hdd delay(i think that's what it said) at the bottom of the storage list
?
heck this is why i bought the Premium.

one other question anyone able to save the channel list to a usb stick ? and reload.
thanks alot
for reading

have moved my findings to this thread
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/185746-azbox-hd-premium-hdd.html

Web Streaming Tv on AZBox

Hi Guys,

I have had the AZBox for a couple of weeks now and I have been playing with the box when I get some time. I am interested in finding out if I can watch a live internet stream on the AZBox like UStream.tv or Justin.tv web sites. When I navigate to these sites via the web browser function, the page displays properly except that the box does NOT recognize the video streams. It simply sees the video window as static objects.

Has anyone figured out if web streaming is possible and how to achieve this? I am thinking that maybe the box needs some plug-ins installed like Divx, Macromedia Flash, Quicktime etc.. but this is just a guess. If anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

OpenSat started their own forum:

http://www.azbox.com/forum
I signed up but have not been accepted yet to be a member...

Your account is currently inactive, the administrator of the board will
need to activate it before you can log in. You will receive another e-mail
when this has occurred.

Please do not forget your password as it has been encrypted in our database
and we cannot retrieve it for you. However, should you forget your password
you can request a new one which will be activated in the same way as this
account.

Thank you for registering.

Anyone get in yet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts