Review: Azbox Elite HD FTA Receiver

Do you have the AZBox connected to your network?

If so, You need to re-set the password so the editor can upload back to the AZBox:

Telnet to the AZBox
- I used a command prompt in XP
- "telnet 192.xxx.xxx.xxx"
Login "root"

Now need to reset password:
At the AZBOX{~}$
enter "passwd"
(without the quotes)
re-enter password: azbox
confirm
should be good to go

THanks. I had forgotten about reading that. Just did it. THanks.

While there, I pulled channel & sat data back to look at it, using FTP (I had to activate FTP in the setup menu). Also noticed that the URL that the Azbox goes to for factory firmware was http://www.azupd.com
I tried going there, but it didn't allow access.

Can anyone post the minimum quality level for the AZBox to lock a signal?. If it matters, I am mostly interested on the DVB-S2 signals though?.

I just scanned in two of the 4.2.2 S2 8PSK transponders (4 channels) on G28.

. HOWEVER, NO AUDIO. ......
Anyway, is there a trick to getting audio through the HDMI cable???? ..

I use HDMI for sound, but what you described happened to me on Sat.
Then re-load the Firm, that's what worked for me.

This morning, I tried a new sat. Loaded up the NBC MPEG4 channels on AMC18.
Again..... no sound.
Did what you suggested above, and that fixed it again.

I guess the question is, is this just my system, or do you have to reload the firmware every time, at about 5 min. If you have to do this every time, I think this is a problem.

If it does do this all the time, does it do it via the channel editor changes, and has anyone figured out what's causing this? Seems like reloading the firmware is just loading the same files that it had in there before, so one must have been corrupted. Seems like recovery might be quicker if we could figure out which file, and what's wrong.

If it doesn't do it all the time (or only to ME all the time), I wonder what I'm doing different, or perhaps it has to do with what channels I loaded in or something. Like at least 2 and perhaps all of the 3 transponders I've scanned, required my editing the transponder parameters. My lnb voltage is turned off on both sats, which might be different. Not using any switches right now, and no motor setup. Must be something about the way I'm programming the sats, because otherwise the receiver seems to be working pretty well.

It's only happened to me once.

Next time, try:
power switch on back

then
disconnect HDMI and reconnect

then
Connect an Optical Cable from the AZ to the Receiver, if you can?

Lak7: Brent posted Q level of 53 at the 8PSK topic for the Florida TP's on AMC 3 @ 87W using AZbox and because I was having problems I wanted to know how low 53 was on the AZBox so I could have an idea what to expect with my 80 cm Dish. Suppossedly the only diff between Azbox and my Coolsat 8100 are the 4:2:2 croma signals right?. I would assume that the AZbox would convert internally from 4:2:2 to 4:2:0 to display properly on a regular NTSC TV right?, pretty much like between PAL and NTSC? right?. I dont have a C-Band system for now and I dont think there are too many 4:2:2 signals on Ku or am I wrong assuming this?. Searching Lyngsat for Ku 8PSK only landed 2 Tp's on 2 different birds.

I'd guess Q40 is Min.
I can't get the Florida channels due to a tree, I think.
But I do get the LPBS on AMC21 and it has played fine at Q42

Otherwise no problems.

As for Ku 4:2:2 feeds, I can only say College Basketball. :)

Next time, try:
power switch on back

then

then

Thanks. Don't want to use optical cable, since I'm out of inputs, and want to use the receiver with Az with TV audio, and TV doesn't have optical input, only optical output.

However, I scanned in about 50 new channels, and haven't had the problem again... however... everything I've tried so far has been SD, and the 2 times this happened, it was after scanning in HD channels, I guess I'll head to a sat with HD to try that.

EDIT: No, did another HD channel on QPSK, and audio works fine. So hopefully it was just a quirk x2 .
Thanks.

Last edited:

Next time, try:
power switch on back

then

then

Thanks. Don't want to use optical cable, since I'm out of inputs, and want to use the receiver with Az with TV audio, and TV doesn't have optical input, only optical output.

However, I scanned in about 50 new channels, and haven't had the problem again... however... everything I've tried so far has been SD, and the 2 times this happened, it was after scanning in HD channels, I guess I'll head to a sat with HD to try that.

EDIT: No, did another HD channel on QPSK, and audio works fine. So hopefully it was just a quirk x2 .
Thanks.

Well, it happened again. I had to re-scan a DVB-S2 HD 4.2.2 transponder, and it came up with no audio (same one that came up no audio before). This time I did what you said, and rebooted it with power switch, and the audio came back. I had done that one of the previous times, but it didn't work. So that won't be too bad if all I need to do is reboot, and it only happens on certain transponders.

Today I added a couple satellites, and after they were added, they were out of order, so I tried hitting that search button (I think it's the green key). That seemed to order them alphabetically, and I had a very hard time getting them back to longitude order, and they keep popping back into alphabetic order, so I must be doing something wrong. The sort thing doesn't seem to be mentioned in the manual.

Been playing with the internet browser. That's kind of neat.

Today I added a couple satellites, and after they were added, they were out of order, so I tried hitting that search button (I think it's the green key). That seemed to order them alphabetically, and I had a very hard time getting them back to longitude order, and they keep popping back into alphabetic order, so I must be doing something wrong. The sort thing doesn't seem to be mentioned in the manual.

hit the ok, exit 1 time, > over to satellite (top of screen) enter an push blue button, will put them in degree, push it again an will be alphabetically, then just select what sat you want an that sat channels will be displayed.

green button will list channels by frequency order.

Last edited:
hit the ok, exit 1 time, > over to satellite (top of screen) enter an push blue button, will put them in degree, push it again an will be alphabetically, then just select what sat you want an that sat channels will be displayed.

green button will list channels by frequency order.
That doesn't work for me. In that window, none of the colored buttons do anything at all for me.

Where I was trying to order things was in the setup/TV Channels/DVB window, when you do an OK on the satellite, it pops up a list of the sats, and down at the bottom there is a blue button that says "SORT". It seemed to toggle between alpha and something that I first thought was just random, but I now see what it has done. Basically it IS ordering them according to degrees, except that all the sats that I created are ordered in a separate group, which made me think it was just random.
For example, when I push the button to order by longitude, it comes up:

5.0W Atlantic Bird 3
4.0W AMOS 1,2 Europe
3.9W AMOS 1,2 Middle East
127W G13
125W AMC21
125W AMC 1 C (this was a typo, that I couldn't correct for some reason)
105W AMC18
1.0W Intelsat 10-2
4.0E Eurobird 4

The 127, 125, 125, 105 sats are ones I created, and the ordering apparently doesn't affect them. Perhaps I confused it by having 2 different 125 sats, because I'm pretty sure that I created a sat yesterday that did get reordered.
Maybe I'll try rebooting?

But anyway, it just doesn't seem to want to sort these things properly. Maybe I should try to switch back to the channel list that it had yesterday.... I think I downloaded it when I was playing with the FTP server, although maybe it would be easier to give the channel editor a try.

PlayOn for the AzBox

Has anybody checked out the PlayOn developer for Xbox and PS3, this would be a killer cherry on the top for the AzBox, PlayOn lets you stream Hulu, Youtube, CNN, CBS, ESPN streams through you PC to your Xbox and PS3, up and coming will be the Wii next, and streaming media files from your PC. Lots of developers are jumping on board with PlayOn, I think I've read something about Popcorn Hours media player will incorporate PlayOn, I think the Popcorn Hour Media Player and the AZBOX share the same Sigma chip. I think some of the features that the AZBOX does now will be over redundant with the PlayOn, but streaming Hulu feeds would be sweet, I think you will never leave the house again. I'm saving up my pennies for the AZBox.

PlayOn Digital Media Server | MediaMall Technologies

I ordered mine yesterday, should arrive Monday or Tuesday. $264.99 shipped priority

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)