Review: Openbox S9 Version 3.0 Remote Control

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
Product:
Openbox S9 Version 3.0 Remote Control

Purchased From:
Fridge FTA (Replacement v3 Remote | OpenBox S9 HD PVR DVB-S2 Receiver, lowest price & best support in N. America)

Price Paid:
$19.95 including shipping

Introduction:
After using my new Openbox S9 HD PVR FTA Satellite Receiver for the past week along with the older version 2.0 remote control I decided to see just how well the new and improved version 3.0 remote control performed.

Specifications:
Ergonomically designed
Replacement remote for OpenBox S9 HD PVR, Solomend 800HD and Sathawk 800

Date Tested:
November 6-7 2010

Equipment Used During Testing:
Receiver: Openbox S9 HD PVR FTA Satellite Receiver

Test Results:

Product Weaknesses:

1) Key response wasn't as good as the version 2.0 remote. Had to press some keys 2 or 3 times before it responded to the commands.

2) Batteries are held tight within the battery compartment. This is normally good, but I had to use a paper clip to remove them as they could not be removed by hand.

3) NO "SAT LIST" button! For me the "SAT LIST" button is very important as I always channel surf by satellite rather than by all.

4) Since I use the number pad a lot for editing channel and satellite names I found the location of the number buttons to be awkward at the bottom of the remote.

5) The "M/P" button didn't work at all during testing.

Product Strengths:

1) I like the new ergonomically design which fits better in your hand.

2) The volume and page up/down button positions are positioned much better than the version 2.0 remote.

3) The "Power" button is positioned much better than the version 2.0 remote.

4) The smaller (red, green, yellow and blue) buttons and location performed better than the version 2.0 remote. This didn't cause me to accidentally hit a nearby button as I often do using the version 2.0 remote.

5) Button placement for the most part is greatly improved compared to the version 2.0 remote.

6) Inexpensive ($19.95 including shipping).

Conclusion: :down
Although the version 3.0 remote control is better designed, I quickly became frustrated due to the missing "SAT List" button and having to press the buttons 2 or more times before the receiver responded. I'm going to keep this remote stored away for use as a backup and will be using the version 2.0 remote instead. Unfortunately I don't recommend this product.

Pictures Attached:

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 582
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 652
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 590

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts