Review: Optibox Anaconda HD FTA Receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
After performing another blind scan of SES 2 KU band the LPB channels still didn't play correctly with the signal constantly going from 0% to 85% while all other channels on that satellite played just fine. I then swapped out the Anaconda for the Openbox S9 and all the LPB channels played perfectly with a solid signal above 87%.

A little birdy told me that an updated firmware file would be available for the Optibox Anaconda HD receiver within the next 1 to 2 weeks that corrects the blind scan problems and improves the blind scan speed. This is excellent news and I look forward to receiving the file and providing an updated status on this receiver.

A little birdy told me that an updated firmware file would be available for the Optibox Anaconda HD receiver within the next 1 to 2 weeks that corrects the blind scan problems and improves the blind scan speed. This is excellent news and I look forward to receiving the file and providing an updated status on this receiver.

PopcornNMore, I see it's been a month since you posted this - did they ever update the firmware?

I saw no mention of an OTA tuner (to pick up regular local TV channels using a normal TV antenna so that they can be recorded); I'm assuming it doesn't have that capability?

I see that it has "HDTV PVR Receiver ( H.264/ MPEG4 HD )" but my question is, can the recorded programs be accessed over the LAN (via the Ethernet port) from another computer on the local network. Is there any way to access this receiver from another computer on the network? You said it runs under Linux so one would think that it would be possible to access the receiver, and hopefully the recorded programs, from elsewhere on the LAN but as far as I can see no mention is made of that. Have you ever tried to go into the receiver over the LAN from another computer on the network? Do you know if that might be possible?

The blind scan speed and bugs have NOT been fixed yet, to the best of my knowledge. (I don't have access to an Anaconda, but I have access to a Gekko, and the performance is identical from everything I've heard. The only non-buggy model is the Raptor, which is seriously overpriced in light of the existence of the Amiko Alien2.)

You can access recordings via FTP, SMB, and DLNA. However, the Optibox does something weird with the headers on the transport stream recordings, which makes them not play in many popular programs, including VLC (which normally plays anything that's not severely broken.) The good news is, there's a free user-created plugin (Fixit_V9) for the Optibox that scans all mounted drives for recordings and modifies the headers to be compatible with both the Optibox and everything else.

The blind scan speed and bugs have NOT been fixed yet, to the best of my knowledge. (I don't have access to an Anaconda, but I have access to a Gekko, and the performance is identical from everything I've heard. The only non-buggy model is the Raptor, which is seriously overpriced in light of the existence of the Amiko Alien2.)

You can access recordings via FTP, SMB, and DLNA. However, the Optibox does something weird with the headers on the transport stream recordings, which makes them not play in many popular programs, including VLC (which normally plays anything that's not severely broken.) The good news is, there's a free user-created plugin (Fixit_V9) for the Optibox that scans all mounted drives for recordings and modifies the headers to be compatible with both the Optibox and everything else.

Thanks. Would like to find out more about that Amiko Alien2 and the other Amiko Alien models. Wish there was a review on here (if I had one I'd be happy to review it, but not rich enough to buy one on the chance it might do what I want).

Internet TV +

I've had my Optibox Anaconda HD receiver now for several months, but haven't used the Internet TV + feature until today. After I learned how to create the "URL_List.txt" files to add channels I was certainly hooked. The video quality on some channels is much better than I expected. I loaded over 75 channels from the US, Canada, Germany, Hungary, London, Iran, Korea and other countries.

It is certainly nice being able to watch the Olympics direct from London on BBC One, BBC Two and BBC Three. FIX HD from Hungary looks awesome! I'm now on a search to add additional channels. The screenshots below just don't do this feature justice, because they look so much better live. However, they will give you an idea of this wonderful feature available on Optibox FTA satellite receivers.

Attachments

• 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 368
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 349
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 338
  • 049.JPG
    049.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 316
  • 064.JPG
    064.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 338
Interesting does it have proxy support so you can watch the real bbc streams? Or are they second party feeds?

When I was using my Azbox the ip streams wouldn't work long because the stream urls kept changing making it hard to keep the list up to date.

I love this idea to have one box which can do everything using just 1 hdmi port. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Interesting does it have proxy support so you can watch the real bbc streams? Or are they second party feeds?

When I was using my Azbox the ip streams wouldn't work long because the stream urls kept changing making it hard to keep the list up to date.

I love this idea to have one box which can do everything using just 1 hdmi port. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I believe they are real BBC streams. I enjoy watching the commercials on these stations. I just loaded additional UK channels such as "CBeebies". Since this is the first day I ever used this feature, I'll keep you posted as to how long they last before the URL changes.

BBC dosen't have commericals. Maybe watching one of the ITV channels? (And yes the commercials are good. I enjoy watching them myself.) :D

You will notice that channels like Cbeebies will go off the air for the night soon. All the kids channels go off the air at 8 or 9 PM UK time (Including NICK, and all of the Disney Channels) They don't broadcast 24/7. :)

Other then programming, half the fun is watching some of the commercials we will never see here.

Example, a while back I was watching the Dubai One English feed, when they aired a commercial showing a red Ferarri as if it was your typical Chevy driver. Plus they also show movies in English with Arab subtitles.

Yes, the urls will change occasionally, but most from a few months back are still in operation. It will depend on their server demand. If they don't overload, they usually leave the urls alone. If they start to peak, they will move to another ip address.

Also, the quality will depend on the countries specific feed. Some don't seem to care about pix quality, while others have good stable HD feeds.

Plus, some local TV stations with their commercials seem to air their programming more frequently.

BBC dosen't have commericals.

After watching the Olympics on "BBC One" now for close to 3 hours I believe you are correct. :) Earlier I believe I saw a "Doctor Who" advertisement, but it probably was a programming advertisement rather than a commercial like seen on our PBS stations. The product commercials I saw earlier were on station from France.

Other then programming, half the fun is watching some of the commercials we will never see here.

Example, a while back I was watching the Dubai One English feed, when they aired a commercial showing a red Ferarri as if it was your typical Chevy driver. Plus they also show movies in English with Arab subtitles.

Yes, the urls will change occasionally, but most from a few months back are still in operation. It will depend on their server demand. If they don't overload, they usually leave the urls alone. If they start to peak, they will move to another ip address.

Also, the quality will depend on the countries specific feed. Some don't seem to care about pix quality, while others have good stable HD feeds.

Plus, some local TV stations with their commercials seem to air their programming more frequently.

This is certainly fun! It is now 5:26PM and I'm still watching Internet TV since 8AM. :) I ran into the 100 URL limit. I believe I read somewhere that this limit has been extended in the latest firmware version.

The internet radio was extended to 200 while the TV is still at 100.

By the way, if you have Dish, the Optibox will work with Home Media on the Hopper or Joey.

Last edited:
The internet radio was extended to 200 while the TV is still at 100.

By the way, if you have Dish, the Optibox will work with Home Media on the Hopper or Joey.

Well I guess I need to start deleting channels. :) I read about the Optibox receivers working with the Hopper or Joey and think that is great.

Or, just create lists by Genre and upload them with a usb stick or save the lists by genre in your root/var/freetvplus directory which you can always rename back to internettv.feed by using an ftp program such as Filezilla.

Which ever is easiest for you.

Watching the Olympic Closing Ceremonies live from London commercial free on BBC One. I'm loving this Internet TV + feature of the Optibox Anaconda HD receiver.

Bumping this thread to check if they ever got the blind scan problems fixed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)