Review: Sonicview SV-HD8000

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
FTA Sats for the 8000HD?

The factory has old Sat information. Is there new software available for up to date satellite and transponder settings for FTA satellites?

for the above poster
i have loaded
boot loader 02.03
main software 02.50
front software vb-07

had this box over 2 years been great so far. it does run warm like most hd boxes i added a fan on top 3in. day one. the factory fan died early on. lot of dust here lol so i clean it out evey 6 months or so.
the blind scan is good not a pansat or a fortec. my FORTEC STAR FSIR-5400 it still the best no S-2 but does show a picture if HD jumpy but still.

as a pvr it is ok kinda like a vcr but works good for me no hi bit rate. it will do STO-HD it is 16 Mbps and PBS-HD well. the recorded files can be played on my computer with the KM Player the best player i have free from pansat.
if you don't need S-2 or 4:2:2 this is a good box glad i bought it when i did.

Dear Kirara,

Do you know whether Sonicview plans to introduce either a DVB-S2 auxiliary blind-search board for the SV-HD8000, as Pansat has done for its 9200HD, or a new blind-search receiver that will show pictures transmitted by 4:2:0, 4:2:2, DVB-S2, and, of course, in HD?

Thanks.

Gordon F. Corbett

As far as I can tell, I don't think that Sonicview will bother adding DVB-S2, 4:2:2, or 4:2:0 to this box. I honestly think their target consumers are people interested in pirating signals, so unless there is a signal that can be hijacked that uses the above mentioned formats, you most likely won't see any support for those formats from Sonicview.

It's really a shame that's the market they chose to appeal to as it's actually a pretty good box.

seems clear to me:

With the hack-market dried up, you'd think the makers of these boxes would take the low-cost road and enhance 'em for us.
What market share do they have now? None?
With a little work, we would eat 'em up.
And, a few fixes to an existing product is cheaper 'n quicker than a whole new development project.

My SV-HD8000 died yesterday. I think it's the power supply, and will check it out later this week.
One & a half year old. (1 year warranty)
Stuck the (highly hated) Captain 8000HD in to replace the SV, and its doing the job.
Will post, what I find on the SV, later this week.

Bob

With the hack-market dried up,
Sonicview is still actively hacking. I don't do it. I don't have the additional hardware to do it. Some people are doing it with this box and others.

I agree with you that it is in their interest and ours to provide more support to legitimate users.

Last edited:
With the hack-market dried up, you'd think the makers of these boxes would take the low-cost road and enhance 'em for us.
What market share do they have now? None?
With a little work, we would eat 'em up.
And, a few fixes to an existing product is cheaper 'n quicker than a whole new development project.
I agree,I sent sonicview an email asking if they were going to make an s2 card like pansat,and I have not received an email from then yet and it has been about two weeks.

Checked the Sonicview site, and found out that, there is a 2 year warranty on the 8000, so I called
support, and the service guy said, that it sounded like the power supply went out, and he gave me a rma
number to send it back for repair.
So, I'm very relieved that it fell under the warranty period.
I just wanted everyone on the site, to know that the remarks on the SV-8000 power supply, in this thread,
are very true.

Bob

Checked the Sonicview site, and found out that, there is a 2 year warranty on the 8000, so I called support, and the service guy said, that it sounded like the power supply went out, and he gave me a rma number to send it back for repair.
What info did you give to get the RMA number? E-mail your receipt copy? Authorized dealer name? Or just make date from your receiver's bottom? Were you asked to ship the receipt with your receiver? Where did you ship it - to SV or regional repair shop? I wonder, if they ask the receipt in repair shops... What if one was purchased on EBay used?

Also, SV site claims 1.5W STB power consumption in Standby, making it no reason to ever switch the STB power OFF. However, some people reported that the STB remains hot in Standby, when equipped with an extra 8psk board, meaning the extra board and main board in that case never go to Standby, hence power supply ain't in Standby either. Besides, any internal user added (hooked to PS or Main Board) or factory fans can't be switched OFF in Standby. Can they get enough power, when Power Supply is in Standby? Any solution to switch to Standby all boards and fans?

SV site claims 1.5W STB power consumption in Standby

My local library has "kill a watt" meters which allow you to check appliances to see how much they actually draw. I tried my sonicview and found that it draws 25w when on. I was very dismayed to find that it draws 25w in standby as well.

Also the fan inside is pretty loud. I've been reading online about people who replace the fan or remove the sticker from the fan and put a drop of oil or grease in there before replacing the sticker.

Given the wattage drawn and the noise of the fan I tend to switch mine all the way off when not in use.

I got mine refurbished and it has never had a turbo board in it while I've owned it but I'd bet it has before.

zamar23
Bought unit from satmaximum.com, just gave Sonicview tech my old order number, and he gave me a rma number, and I think I gave him the serial number, of the unit also. Sent it priority mail to sunny Caifonia.
Gave the tech the symptoms, of the unit, and he said it was the power supply. You also have to send them a $25.00 money order, for the return shipping cost. The whole thing, set me back $50.00, so far. He also asked about the software version, and I told him it was 402, which I got from their site, and he said fine.
I have not received the unit back yet, but maybe in a week or so.
I also down loaded a rma pdf, and filled it out, and sent them a copy of the receipt from satmaximum.com,
which is listed on the rma form. I don't have any add on boards, as I don't want to get burned with a hacker
board, as it would do me no good. I don't know, about buying it from ebay, but the tech did ask, if I bought the unit from a authorized dealer. After some net searching, I did find out, that you can order a new PS from
Sonicview, for $30.00 or so, and that may have made it a little bit cheaper, but I figured since it is under warranty, what the hell.
Bob

Thanks daddyzlod. Very informative!

madmadworld

If you replaced the rear internal fan since its died, did you notice where it was connected to power source: on the Main Board, or underneath or on top of Power Supply Board? What color is your Power Supply Board: green like Main Board or whiter?

There is a power connector on the Main Board of SV-8000 V2, I connected 6V bigger Diameter quiet fan to it, glued it in the area btw Main and Power Supply Boards inside the receiver, directed towards Main Board, and its cool and quiet out there. No need for an external fan for me so far, but I'm thinking putting a second same fan model inside, directed towards Power Supply, as there's plenty of space in the corridor btw Main and Power Boards, and there are 2 power connectors under Power Supply Board. The noisy factory fan can be switched Off in this scenario.

Anyone knows, what exact type, or make and model number of 4-pin connector is used in SV8000HD power supply board and also in main board (to hook up the front panel USB board)? I can't find similar 4-pin connector or any "4-pin (Sonicview type) to 4-pin Molex" cable or pass-through (Molex) adapter cable to hook up extra 2 silent fans without splicing wires. See pic of the 4-pin connector attached.

Attachments

• 4-pin Power Supply to 4-pin Molex connector.jpg
    4-pin Power Supply to 4-pin Molex connector.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 316
  • 4-pin PS board power connector.jpg
    4-pin PS board power connector.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 305
Got the repaired SV back, the other day, and hooked it up. and it seems to be working real good.
I haven't opened it up yet, to put the bigger cooling fan back in, and nose around to see what they did(changed fan back to factory, when sent in), maybe this Sunday.
I did notice that the firmware that they put in is 2.50, and took out the 4.02, which I downloaded from the
Sonicview web site, awhile back.

It is working good, and the total cost was $50.00

good to hear that.
i might have to send mine in. it worked well for years on just ku, but since i added all the c-band sats to it back about 6 months ago. it is messing up, can't remember motor settings is the worse thing.
before that 1 just had 2 c-band sats for years that was all the 5 footer would get.
might buy a new one and use it just for ku and let my old one do the c-band as a slave.
i feel bad for messing it up it has been the best box i ever had.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)