Reviews: SatHawk PVR800 WorldDVB DVB-S2 HD FTA Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I agree that the receiver has a lot of potential. I would be happier if it could be fixed where it will not lock up by pressing one key on the remote.

There is a good market for a cheap HD receiver in my area and this one fits that description. A lot of people don't care about features that we find important, but the receiver should not lock up by pressing a button on the remote. They are also overpriced here in the U.S.

Cyberstore dot com has these receivers for $179.95

But I bought a sample for a lot less than that. Here is the actual email invoice for it:
> >> >> *Glad to receive your inquire about our satellite receiver production ,
> >> *
> >> >>
> >> >> **
> >> >>
> >> >> *i am Sean , the sales of Hua Gang Electronics Company ,*
> >> >>
> >> >> * *
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >> *Refer to your inquire , our HGDVB 3612 , sample price is US$ 86 ,*
> >> >> **
> >> >> *freight cost for one sample is US$ 41 , so total price is US$ 127 *
> >> >> **
> >> >> *by UPS .*
> >> >> **
> >> >> **
> >> >> *If you want to order one sample to test , please reply me .*
> >> >> **
> >> >> *i will make an invoice for you , thanks*
The HGDVB 3612 that I received from this vendor is almost identical to the receiver that I received from Sadoun. The shipping boxes and the writing on the two recievers are identical. The only difference that I have noticed in the two receivers is the AC plug. The receiver from China has the correct ac plug for the U.S. so an additional ac adapter is not needed. The China vendor does not have a shortage of these receivers either. Both receivers take the same firmware.

Updated firmware listed as: HDS2_0325_america was also sent to me. This file is designed for card sharing which is useless for my needs. This receiver is listed as a card sharing receiver on some Chinese websites so the market that is being targeted for these receivers by the China vendors is not fta. This is probably the reason why the fta firmware updates for us are taking so long.

If the China vendor can get some of the bugs fixed, then I will buy several units from him. I will not consider buying anymore of these receivers from a U.S. vendor unless the price drops below $150.00 shipped. Greg

What are you doing that's making it lock up? I haven't had it lock up since the very first firmware version that came with Sadoun's first shipment. Everything since then has worked fine.

Could be worse. Sadoun (his staff) promised me it would ship the afternoon of March 31. He now says, "Middle of next week."

My cynical nature doesn't believe a syllable of it. And what's worse, I don't think Sadoun believes it either.:(

Am patiently waiting for the new firmware Sadoun promised last week. This receiver has a lot of potential with great blindscan. But my setups need motor and diseqc switches.

What are you doing that's making it lock up? I haven't had it lock up since the very first firmware version that came with Sadoun's first shipment. Everything since then has worked fine.

Press the vformat button twice.

Mine dodn't lock up when I first got it...but is does now...no particular reason it just locks up. I turn the receiver off and back on and everything is fine. Even with the bugs I still love the HD picture. Blind

Press the vformat button twice.

On mine, version 0325, pressing the vformat button any number of times just cycles through the video modes as it should, more or less -- I mean, it goes through the PAL modes rather than the ATSC modes, but my monitor can display them all anyway.

How to update new software without loosing all setting, sat list, channel list etc?
You can't.
You can use the Software for the Ferfuson Ariva 200 to save and reload your lists.
ferguson-digital.eu/en/download/HD-Satellite-Receivers/ariva-200/

Blind,
You took that out of my mouth. I'll wait for a few more days then put on classifieds.

soon, the HD receiver will be released new SW:

1. update menu-- tool---upgrady by USB more function:

2.add tool---dump by USB.

3.add cccam read constant.cw files.

4.add save satellite, channel and favorite list to USB and load from there....

Glad to see you here Peter..

Is there a possibility we can have switch and motor function working at the same time? As it is we can set up the box to use a switch - fixed antenna or use a motor - motor antenna, but some of us need to have both working at the same time - move a motor and switch a switch.

I 2nd that the Motor switch issue needs to be fixed, Also would be nice if the AC3 Audio would come out of the RCA audio out jacks.

I do not own one yet and can't as it would not work for my system at this time.

Its still a toss up for me now between the Sathawk and the AZbox for my next FTA receiver.

Mine dodn't lock up when I first got it...but is does now...no particular reason it just locks up. I turn the receiver off and back on and everything is fine. Even with the bugs I still love the HD picture. Blind

I am seeing the very same thing here too, going on three weeks now and the box showed no issues, except with the no motor through the diseqc switch issue, the sluggish response when scrolling through the menu using the remote, and not seeing the dish after a single sat. scan. (corrected by going back to the main menu and and pulling up the channel again)

Today it locks up for the first time. 3 times within the same hour on the same RTN channel on 87W. The picture is very good... quality is 79 - 82, it just freezes and will not respond until it's rebooted. I have the latest version, as it was shipped from Sadoun.

I wanted a blind scanning receiver that would do S-2 and it does, pretty well. For the price I feel like I got a good deal, but I can't help but think this could be so much more if they'd send a working update. I am gonna hold on to mine awaiting the working version, but I predict a number of these boxes will start showing up on eBay...

Yes if the motor issue is fixed that will solve a bunch of issues. I'm convinced if the bugs are worked out on this receiver a ton of them would sell quick. I kinda like the thing after messing with it a while....Blind

Welcome PeterHD,
How soon? One week? Two weeks?. Can you make the source code for this receiver opensource so programmers like us can work on it to make it better? I like the box but it is useless for me since i need motor and switch working together.

I was able to find a nice channel editor plus a manual loader for this Solomend or Sathawk receiver. Both of these programs work through the rs232 port so a computer with a serial port or an usb to serial adapter is needed to use these programs.
I put the CW channels that are on Galaxy 17, 91 West using this channel editor. There are no written instructions for these programs so I have to figure them out. Things are looking better. Greg

i think a diseqc swtich and motor combo is the achilles heal of this unit. otherwise it is good and cheap. peterhd fix that sh$# and sell more units.

crackt out,.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)