Rewritable DVD Drives

Tecmo SB Guy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
Okay, I need a little help.

I have this DVD+RW disc that I use to save stuff daily. Work I've done and other things.

Well today I put it in and the disc keeps on spinning and won't stop and I can't get access to the data on the disc.

There's some important data on the disc that I'd like to see again.

What can I do to get the drive to read that disc again?

Does it read other disks?

If it doesnt, your drive is shot.

If it does, then the disk is probably toast, try it in other drives to confirm.

I gave up on DVD+-RW's long, long ago. I had all kind of problems with them becoming corrupt. This would be a good time to switch a 4GB or higher flash drive.

Or DVD-RAM, although support for it is spotty.

Thumb drive is the best suggestion.

If the disc is indeed shot, a hard disk drive recovery company may well be able to pull some data off. Pricey, though.

Okay, I need a little help.

I have this DVD+RW disc that I use to save stuff daily. Work I've done and other things.

Well today I put it in and the disc keeps on spinning and won't stop and I can't get access to the data on the disc.

There's some important data on the disc that I'd like to see again.

What can I do to get the drive to read that disc again?

Make sure no finger prints or dust is on data side. You can try to recover the dvd files with IsoBuster free trial.
CD Recovery | CD DVD Data Rescue software, featuring BD HD DVD

I have had such a frustrating time with dvd+rw quality over the years with at least 6 brands that I have tried. What I found and always do now is analyze every recording I make with Nero DVDSpeed for error rate and throw away the marginal ones.

The best dvd+rw disc I've found are the RiDATA Blue Dot with about 80% of the DVD's were usable and maybe 25%-30% of them that were excellent. Not all dvd players and burners can read PIE and PIF errors. I use a $28 dollar LiteOn burner SHW-160P6S.
Nero CD-DVD Speed website

Make sure no finger prints or dust is on data side. You can try to recover the dvd files with IsoBuster free trial.
CD Recovery | CD DVD Data Rescue software, featuring BD HD DVD

I have had such a frustrating time with dvd+rw quality over the years with at least 6 brands that I have tried. What I found and always do now is analyze every recording I make with Nero DVDSpeed for error rate and throw away the marginal ones.

The best dvd+rw disc I've found are the RiDATA Blue Dot with about 80% of the DVD's were usable and maybe 25%-30% of them that were excellent. Not all dvd players and burners can read PIE and PIF errors. I use a $28 dollar LiteOn burner SHW-160P6S.
Nero CD-DVD Speed website

Thanks for those tips. I'll definitely look into them.

I'm almost sure it's the disc that's shot not my DVD drive since I just formatted another blank Memorex DVD+RW to test it out and it works just fine, saving, editing, and deleting files.

I gave up on DVD+-RW's long, long ago. I had all kind of problems with them becoming corrupt. This would be a good time to switch a 4GB or higher flash drive.

I've been editing spreadsheets and a text file pretty much daily and saving it to this DVD+RW and everything was fine till a few days ago.

So is a flash drive what the rest of you would recommend if you're saving stuff daily, instead of DVD+RW and DVD-RW?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)