RG6 Cable

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DomSue

Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
phoenix
We are building our own house and are almost at the wiring stage.
I need help! I am totally confused at to the different types of RG6 cable.

I learned on here that white cable is not good for outdoors.
Do I need DUAL?
Do I need quadsheild?
Do I need braided?

When I go online to purchase a 500' roll, there are various types and various prices. Am I missing anything else?

Run Dual RG6 Cable, to every room you can think of. Then get a big enough smart box to hold all those cables(they make 3ft tall by 2ft wide smart boxes). You'll be glad you did in the future. Also, don't for get to run cat5 network cable as well to all those rooms.

To follow up the previous post I recommend cat6 instead. The cost is not much more and will be more future proof than cat5. Also recommend monoprice.com for cables.

I use Belden 1829. I would NOT run Dual but I would run 2 lengths of RG6, just because of the cost factors.

to add to the above regarding CAT. I would specifically look for CAT6a or 6e (which ever you can find at the best price) IF you can actually find CAT7; and it doesn't break the bank; go for it. You will be way ahead of the future curve.

We are building our own house and are almost at the wiring stage.
I need help! I am totally confused at to the different types of RG6 cable.

I learned on here that white cable is not good for outdoors.
Do I need DUAL?
Do I need quadsheild?
Do I need braided?

When I go online to purchase a 500' roll, there are various types and various prices. Am I missing anything else?

Take a deep breath....Ok?
Now ....buy 1000' rolls of cable. DO not buy dual cable due to cost factor.
Just run two cables to each location. It's actually easier in mosty cases to run singles because there times when the dual cable will twist and that is about as much fun as a cold toilet seat.

The numbers to focus on ...
Sweep tested to 3ghz....That info is readily available in the description.
Most coax cable is 60% aluminum braid. This is adequate for just about any application.
Quad shield cable is neccessary ONLY if you are installing it near where there are LOTS of electrical wires and even then, it isn't really necessary. Quad shield is used by higher end structured wiring companies.
It will not hurt to use it, but again it is more costly.
You may use copper clad steel conductor cable. This is more than adequate for most applications.
Some may recommend you spend the extra money for solid copper conductor. You may. However I used copper clad steel for years with no ill effects.
Oh, CAT 6 ro 6e.....It isn't that much more than CAT 5, so use that. The difference is an additonal pair of conductors in the cable.

Actually there is more to the CAT cable differences than the number of conductors:

# Cat 5: Currently unrecognized by TIA/EIA. Defined up to 100 MHz, and was frequently used on 100 Mbit/s Ethernet networks. May be unsuitable for 1000BASE-T gigabit ethernet.
# Cat 5e: Currently defined in TIA/EIA-568-B. Defined up to 100 MHz, and is frequently used for both 100 Mbit/s and 1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet networks.
# Cat 6: Currently defined in TIA/EIA-568-B. Defined up to 250 MHz, more than double category 5 and 5e.
# Cat 6a: Currently defined in ANSI/TIA/EIA-568-B.2-10 and Amendment 1 and 2 of ISO/IEC 11801. Defined up to 500 MHz, nearly double that of category 6. Suitable for 10GBASE-T.
# Cat 7: Currently defined in ISO/IEC 11801 Class F cabling. Defined up to 600 MHz. This standard specifies four individually-shielded pairs (S/FTP) inside an overall shield.
# Cat 7a: Currently defined in Amendment 1 and 2 of ISO/IEC 11801 Class FA cabling. Defined up to 1,000 MHz. Cable constructions is S/FTP.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)