RIP 922

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dishman Dan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
N/A
My GI 922 is 9 years old and I figured she needed her battery changed. After reading all the info here I said it better get done soon. I do work on heavy equipment at times and find it hard to settle down to deal with smaller and more fragile items such as electronics. I had a electronic whiz change the battery so I would not mess it up and I thought all went well...
I unplugged the unit for a few hours to start revamping my wiring in my entertainment center. I plugged the 922 back in... and... it just displayed a "1". :eek: I think she is toast. All of the satellite names are gone too. :(
Any thoughts on this??? We had a lot of good times together! :river

Dang that's to bad.
I have a used 922,probably needs a battery too, I plugged it in the other day and it still had to correct ID, I would let it go for the $100.00 that skybvision would give me, I don't have the remote for it, also when I used it last, in the middle of the night it would loose the digital locks, but I read some where that a minor adjustment on voltage to the LNB should fix it.
Terry

Found some info on this website:
4DTV Support Help Guides - Problem Solving Solutions

"Reboot - Initialization

Removing power does not help boot up process, and lcd display indicates 1. Screen may list a page of numbers. Disconnect lnb line or sat input coax line to dish, from receiver. Remove power cord for 10 seconds and apply power to unit. If receiver boots up normally, then the coax has a short or the lnb needs to be replaced. If no initialization, then receiver needs to go to factory for reprograming memory.."

our 4dtv's are getting pretty old. i think all of us are going to have problems pretty soon... combing the electronic junkyards scraping up all the possible fixes paying premium prices.

Found some info on this website:
4DTV Support Help Guides - Problem Solving Solutions

"Reboot - Initialization

Removing power does not help boot up process, and lcd display indicates 1. Screen may list a page of numbers. Disconnect lnb line or sat input coax line to dish, from receiver. Remove power cord for 10 seconds and apply power to unit. If receiver boots up normally, then the coax has a short or the lnb needs to be replaced. If no initialization, then receiver needs to go to factory for reprograming memory.."

The lnbf still provides a good signal to the Coolsat that is piggybacked onto the 922. I tried different things but I now think it is is officially gone. I just checked and the receiver ID number does not match now. :rant:

I am going to see a BUDdy today that might be able to spare a receiver. He has a couple of 920's and a couple of 922's. A few months ago he bought a 922 (and a 920) at the thrift shop for $12.50 without a remote and the numbers are good. Maybe he will let me at least borrow one! :D

Any idea if the motherboard replacement includes a new battery???

There is a battery replacement fee listed but I think that is a separate surgery!?!?!? :confused:

I would think if you got a new MB they would give you a decent battery. If ATS could reload the Unit ID's in the MB's that loose them it would be much better. But Motorola don't want that because it could promote cloning of units and piracy. In short if someone got there hands on that tool they could in theory load the same unit ID on multiple units then pay for one master subscription and all the slaves would see the same programming. Kind of like the eye patch crowd is doing with pizza these days.

No it's got nothing to do with the battery.
My sister got the same problem like 4 years ago the problem was with a capacitator next to the battery that went bad causing the unit to display the 1 on the lcd screen.
1 means that the capacitator has gone bad so you have to replace it.
My sister send the unit somewhere for repair and repaired the faulty capacitator and she told them to replace both baterrys also.
Because at that time they we're still using vc2 so she changed th one in the module and the one on the mainboard.

It's too bad we can't get a DCII receiver or HDD-200 with HDMI outputs.

No it's got nothing to do with the battery.
My sister got the same problem like 4 years ago the problem was with a capacitator next to the battery that went bad causing the unit to display the 1 on the lcd screen.
1 means that the capacitator has gone bad so you have to replace it...

Any idea as to what could cause these caps to blow??? :confused:

When I plugged the unit back in, after being unhooked for a couple of hours, there did seem to be quite a power draw. :eek:

The only other issue now is that the unit ID numbers do not match. If it was just a cap, I think the numbers would still be correct (???). The satellite name choices for installation have all disappeared which sounds to me like the memory is toast. :(

Any idea as to what could cause these caps to blow??? :confused:

When I plugged the unit back in, after being unhooked for a couple of hours, there did seem to be quite a power draw. :eek:

The only other issue now is that the unit ID numbers do not match. If it was just a cap, I think the numbers would still be correct (???). The satellite name choices for installation have all disappeared which sounds to me like the memory is toast. :(

If you do a master reset the satellite names will load again, then go to g1 channel 3 and leave it there for 20 minutes it will map out all the available satellites for the box.
Until I found the 922 I use now I had my 920 ( with dead battery... I was ignorant about it and didn't know ) moving my dish just fine.
I'm afraid your MB might be dead but as some have said before me ATS can make your 922 like brand new again.
Good luck.

Granadaguy

I will contact ATS soon! :)

My other options have faded,

The neighbor wants way too much for his $12.50 922 plus "strings" attached. I checked it out and the numbers match and it is really clean. I thought that my offer was more than fair!
The other was I was watching a nice clean boxed 922 on Ebay. I figured I could get the neighbors 922 for about the same price range but I should of bid! On Sunday the Ebay unit went for only $106 plus $26.50 shipping!!!... :eek:
Other units have been higher and many have "optional" marks, scratches, dents and dings! !sadroll

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)