rirwin1983 - scam continue

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing that really amazed me was how everybody was fawning on the guy after he said he was in an accident. "Get well, Rirwin." "I hope everything's OK" "Just send the stuff, when you're feeling better and have the time." "Can I bring you some soup?" I'm exagerating, of course. But, it might have well have said those things.

I'm not being harsh. What he did was wrong. But, falling for this guy's BS was just as wrong. He was not that good at it.

I wouldn't quite call it "fawning", more a case of giving him the benefit of the doubt and maybe one more chance to set things right. Unfortunately for all parties involved, that never materialized.

As FatBastard already alluded to, and maybe it's just me misinterpreting your posts as well, but is it really appropriate to chime in with the "I told ya so"? Almost makes it sound like you're blaming the victims here. :(

In a way, I am. Just like the victims of any number of scams you see on the news. I'm sure that almost every one of you, at one time or another, has nodded your heads in disbelief that people could be so easily scammed, when watching a news report about someone giving some stranger money outside of their bank, or somesuch.

I read that original "classified" thread, from post #1, not knowing about all of the scam posts later on. And, as I kept reading, and seeing suspicious from the seller right from the start, I was not surprised in the least that people were scammed.

So, in this case, yes, I do partially blame the scammees for letting themselves get taken. And, I totally blame those who were taken that didn't use a credit card, and thus, gave themselves no protection at all. That's like having sex with a stranger, and not using a condom.

BTW, it goes both ways. Sellers should never ship to anything but the verified PayPal address. Buyers can scam sellers, too.

Until that time, he listed only one 622, and when asked by P Smith if he sent the 622 to the ONE GUY that paid...
This is factually incorrect. Initially, RIRWIN1983 offered two 622s for sale...one NIB, and one used less than a week. I purchased the NIB 622 within a few minutes of his posting, and a few minutes later he updated the thread to reflect the sale. In my case, I paid for the receiver using PayPal, and our Discover Card, in addition to later contacting Dish Network to ensure the receiver/smartcard numbers were free-and-clear of any balance.

I always shop smart, but to be honest it never dawned on me that a Pub Member, yes, a SatelliteGuys Pub Member, would take advantage of others in the Classified Forum. While I can't say that know each and every Pub Member, I can say that I have had contact, corresponded with, or know by reputation almost all of the active Pub Members. In almost all cases, my discussions with other Pub Members have been respectful and positive...even some Pit dwellers who have less-than-clearly-though-out political views. To be honest, being a Pub Member does, in fact, lend a considerable amount of credibility to postings in the Classified Forum since their identify is known to SatelliteGuys.us and to a great many other Pub Members. While I would hesitate purchasing anything from a non-member, I have almost no reservation purchasing from a Pub Member since they are like family.

For me, this issue is less about money than it is about others being scammed by a fellow Pub Member. I never thought a Pub Member would try to schlock stolen wares or scam others in the Classified Forum - who would be that bold, brazen, twisted, and just plain stupid? To quote Gomer Pyle (click to listen), "Shame, Shame, Shame!"

Anyway, my receiver arrived nine days after the Paypal transaction and it has been activated for about two weeks. The receiver was not NIB, as advertised, since it had been installed/configured for service and the IR remote had been pulled from of the plastic bag and batteries inserted. Other than that, the receiver was in like-new condition. So far, Dish Network activated the 622 and they say it is free-and-clear and my property...however, should this change we will file a dispute with DiscoverCard and have the money placed back into our account within minutes. My wife and I are very, very good DiscoverCard customers.

The receiver sat on our family room floor for almost a month while I verified it's status. In a twist-of-fate befitting this incident, my wife almost broker her toe one morning when she came downstairs in the dark. She so pissed that she actually tossed the receiver on the back deck where it sat for several days before I noticed it while doing yard work.

I vote for revoking RIRWIN1983's Pub Membership. I will gladly pay the $20 to do so.

Ok, it's back to hibernation mode...

I always shop smart, but to be honest it never dawned on me that a Pub Member, yes, a SatelliteGuys Pub Member, would take advantage of others in the Classified Forum. ...While I would hesitate purchasing anything from a non-member, I have almost no reservation purchasing from a Pub Member since they are like family.
Family? No way. Just a bunch of folks with some similar interests in satellite broadcasting and/or home theater. My only family is my family. After that comes friends. Then colleagues. Then acquaintances. Then, maybe, people I've met online. But, only the ones I'm quite familiar with.

For me, this issue is less about money than it is about others being scammed by a fellow Pub Member. I never thought a Pub Member would try to schlock stolen wares or scam others in the Classified Forum - who would be that bold, brazen, twisted, and just plain stupid?
A crook maybe? What does any of that have to do with shelling out $20 to join a club?

I vote for revoking RIRWIN1983's Pub Membership. I will gladly pay the $20 to do so.
I would imagine that Scott already thought of that. You can save your $20 for Nigerian Lottery tickets. Just don't forget to use your Discover card.

I would imagine that Scott already thought of that.
He's still a pub member though.... I don't recall the exact wording when I became a pub member but I'm positive it said that it can be revoked at any time with no refund and so on.

What are you waiting for Scott ? It's not a matter of Irwin "making things right" now, even if he did, is it ?

Family? No way. Just a bunch of folks with some similar interests in satellite broadcasting and/or home theater. My only family is my family. After that comes friends. Then colleagues. Then acquaintances. Then, maybe, people I've met online. But, only the ones I'm quite familiar with.

A crook maybe? What does any of that have to do with shelling out $20 to join a club?

I would imagine that Scott already thought of that. You can save your $20 for Nigerian Lottery tickets. Just don't forget to use your Discover card.
Gary, I am not sure if you are intentionally being as ass in this thread or if this is just your basic nature. In any case, you should probably just move-on at this point since you're posts are inflammatory, inaccurate, and adding nothing of value to this discussion.

If only these guys really knew what was going on.

Personally I don't see why this thread is continuing considering the circumstances.

Gary, I am not sure if you are intentionally being as ass in this thread or if this is just your basic nature. In any case, you should probably just move-on at this point since you're posts are inflammatory, inaccurate, and adding nothing of value to this discussion.
No need for personal insults. (Is it your basic nature to be such a trusting rube, btw?) We are simply having a discussion here, with differing points of view. Nobody is ever "adding" anything to anything, other than whatever any of us get from any discussion of any topic on the boards.

OTOH, one thing that I am adding to this is the reality of what it takes to avoid having this happen to people in the future. The biggest of which is not to automatically trust somebody because they spent $20 to join the same club as you. The next thing would be to use a credit card whenever paying for anything purchased on the Internet, especially when using PayPal for a purchase from an indivudual not known personally to you, even if he does belong to the same club.
If only these guys really knew what was going on.

Personally I don't see why this thread is continuing considering the circumstances.
Because people like to talk about stuff?

There is a reason why this has not been done yet. ;)

If he's easily scammed members here then there is from what I can deduce little to no benefit he can derive or the investigation for that matter from him having pub access or any access at all for that matter. If anything he's getting a big kick out of reading this thread right here watching the instigator's and told ya so's get into spats with the supporters of the scammed and those scammed.

If he's easily scammed members here then there is from what I can deduce little to no benefit he can derive or the investigation for that matter from him having pub access or any access at all for that matter. If anything he's getting a big kick out of reading this thread right here watching the instigator's and told ya so's get into spats with the supporters of the scammed and those scammed.

Van, How big is that friend of yours? Maybe we need to send him over his place. :)

I didnt use a credit card with PayPal. I assumed I had some buyer protection. I learned the hard way by losing $150. Never again. I am now using a PayPal credit card for all purchases online for the additional protection that I need. I had someone off of ebay not ship their item and I used it. That could have been another $82 but at least I will be protected on that item. I've had a lot more issues this summer with people on ebay and this incident as well than what I normally do.

When I read that someone else received their item and seeing that he was a pub member, with many posts, having been a member for a while, I assumed he could be trusted. This is the first time I have seen a pub member with a number of posts rip someone off.

I think I know what Scott plans to do as to why he has not blocked him from this site and not removed his pub membership yet. I won't mention it for certain reasons though as that might mess up the plan.

I think I know what Scott plans to do as to why he has not blocked him from this site and not removed his pub membership yet. I won't mention it for certain reasons though as that might mess up the plan.
In case he comes back and comments further or sees the actions that people are taking against him ?

1) He's very, very unlikely to comment
2) Why warn him what's going on ?

Tom's 6ft 7, 400lbs, vet bouncer and bartender at a biker bar, member of the White nation and a few other groups that tend to hate you for breathing and having a pulse, he had an auction up on ebay offering to come to the winning bidders home and treat the bidder like crap and beat the crap out of the bidder and he had bids on it before it got removed. Only reason I know him is because he is a friend of my wifes family and has done alot for them ( bright spot in his life I guess ) otherwise I probably wouldnt know him. Coincidentaly he also has quite a few friends like himself so he might make it a picnic if someone makes it worth his while. :D

* Disclaimer*

I do not condone or support the mistreatment or abuse of animals or children, however I do highly recommend that you beat and man handle scum bags and those who would otherwise do you harm or to those you love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)